Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-26-2006, 09:59 PM   #1
Trishalynn
Banned
seller

My Mood:
lactose intolerance?

my first dd had it when she was a babe (out grew it by the time she was 7 months though) at about six weeks old she got really bad cramps and diarrhea and we switched to lactose free formula and it all went away. Now this babe is only 9 days old and is getting diarrhea and obvious cramping (with lots of gas) would it be lactose intolerance too? would it show so soon? with dd 1 she was on formula right away, and this one is breast fed so I figured it'd show up around the same time or later if she did get it. I'm gonna try and cut out dairy from my diet and see if that makes a difference. Some one please tell me that soy isn't as gross as I think it'll be? Poor thing had such a rough day today and her PED is on holiday's so our only choice is walk-in and seriously the walk in doctors here are idiots I don't trust them. darn it too cause I just bought a big thing of chocolate milk as a treat for myself lol. Oh well dd 1 will enjoy it! lol

Advertisement

Trishalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:17 PM   #2
tanyaandallie
Registered Users

Re: lactose intolerance?

I would start the dairy elimination diet immediately and see if it helps. You need to be sure you eliminate all forms of dairy, not just the obvious. Check out www.kellymom.com I think she has a list of all the foods to avoid.

Are you sure it's diarrea (why can't I spell that word) and not normal runny bf baby poop? Gassiness can be/is very much normal in babies.

It can take up to 2 weeks to get all the dairy out of your milk, but you should notice a difference pretty quickly.

old ds feedback: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...p?topic=5132.0
tanyaandallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:47 PM   #3
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All 3 of my dds were lactose intolerant as well. #1 outgrew it at 1yr #2 is STILL drinking lactaid at 5yrs old #3 couldnt even tolerate lactose free formula & was on soy milk at 1yr...we are slowly transitioning to lactaid now at 16mos & so far so good.

It can show up right away, with dd #1 we just didnt figure it out till she was 2mo (poor kid!) so the others we put on soy right away. I'd definately cut dairy out of your diet, oh & my aunt BF her kids & they were lactose intolerant too, no one told her it was all the milk she was drinking!
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:08 PM   #4
wmama
Registered Users
seller

I wondered the same thing about whether it's really diarrhea, or normal runny breastfed baby poop. True lactose intolerance is really rare in a baby (not so rare in adults--I've had it since my first child was born). Here's a good link I found that might be helpful to you: http://breastfeed.com/resources/arti...ntolerance.htm Also another one that is more technical about the different types of lactose intolerance, so you can see if any of them fit the timing pattern for you baby: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...tolerance.html

Hope it's something easy for you to fix!
Old 05-27-2006, 10:45 AM   #5
Trishalynn
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I did some reading on it and I"m sure its the cows milk protien intolerance, and yup I"m absolutely sure its not normal breast fed poop, I've seen that with her before this is diarrhea. Since cutting out dairy yesterday I've seen a big difference already she's still crampy and gassy, but not nearly as bad as she had been. and the exclusive bfing is going well too! I really shouldn't be surprised as dd1 had it and dh has it, he never out grew it though, but isn't as intolerant as dd2. Hopefully she'll out grow it in six months like dd1 that worked well for us! I refuse to switch to formula (not that I"m against feeding it to them, but the price is rediculous!! it cost us $150/month just in formula for dd1 and that was 2 years ago, the price is higher now!) So hopefully it'll work to just breast feed and cut out dairy! we'll see if it goes away in the next few weeks and if it doesn't we'll take her to a doctor then. she has an appointment in about four weeks with her PED anyway!
Trishalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 11:13 AM   #6
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

My youngest dd is. Hers was from birth, she screamed all the time and kept projectile vomiting often this yellow stuff. I had planned on weaning her onto formula to avoid the weight gain problems i had with my oldest. At 3 weeks I took her in because the yellow projectile that the nurses said would only be there for 2-3 days was still constant. I tried feeding her some formula while waiting. I got 1 oz out of the bottle but most of it was on her as she would turn her head away. As I walked down the hallway she puked the yellow stuff all over me. That was the last time she puked yellow.

My dr did stool samples(loads of fun with a bf'd baby) and she was a +2. They had a sample that was barely enough so I don't know if a larger sample would have affected it.

I cut out all dairy and hidden dairy in my diet. It helped but I did end up getting her zantac and giving gripe water to get her to stop screaming all the time. Around 15months she could handle dairy and we stopped her meds. I stopped bf'ing a month later. She is 4 now and still has some issues so I limit her dairy to no more than 3oz a day.

I am LI, though it doesn't always happen and actually hasn't in 9 years but I still avoid it. I stopped drinking milk when I was 11 because no matter how cold it was it tasted sour and warm. Then when I was 15 I caught onto what the odd stomach pains I'd get were caused from. The 1 connection was that i ate/drank something with dairy.

My middle dd gets extreme constipation from dairy so she's limited to 3oz a day too. My oldest won't touch it unless it is cheese or chocolate milk or ice cream.