Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-26-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
rylan'smomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ways to give extra fluids to baby

Rylan is 8 mos and was just diagnosed with pneumonia He is pretty sick coughing and not really wanting to eat. He is formula fed. He finishes about half of his bottles. I really need to make sure that he is getting enough fluids. I am looking for interesting ways to make sure he gets them.

So far:
Diluted juice in a sippy cup,
popsicles,
soup
Watermelon - not sure if this one is OK for his age? Anyone know?

Any other ideas would be great. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 01-26-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
tatumsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ways to give extra fluids to baby

I hope your ds starts feeling better. When dd was sick, she would not nuse much..she loves to drink for a straw. you know how you hold your finger on the top and then put it in dc's mouth? That was the only way I could get fluids in her. HTH. Good luck.
Jennifer: BFing, CDing, BWing, CSing SAHM, Expecting #2 in Jan 09!
tatumsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:24 PM   #3
desertblossom79
Registered Users
seller

My dd (whose only about a week older than Rylan, she was born May 2) had pneumonia the week of Thanksgiving. I let her chew on cold teething toys (the condensation they created gave her a little bit of extra water) and let her carry around a bottle of water all day. I don't know of any reason you can't give watermelon as long as you remove the seeds or get a seedless one. Also my kids would always take anything that was in an oral medicine syringe, if you need to, you could give sips of juice or water in the syringe.

Is your son already dehydrated or is this just a preventative measure? When dd had pneumonia, extra fluids were never specifically mentioned and after a day or two of antibiotics she was MUCH better and back to herself before she finished them. If he isn't already dehydrated I wouldn't push extra fluids too hard, offer them but if he won't take them and isn't dehydrated, don't worry too much.

HTH

Jeni

ETA: I just had a thought...my kids tend to get the runs when they eat watermelon. Maybe it's just my kids (who will eat a whole watermelon between them in a day) but you might want to be careful with the watermelon because you don't want to cause diarhhea if you're worried about dehydration.

Patrick (9), Sean (7) Caitlyn (6), Brooke (1)Owen (4/08)

Last edited by desertblossom79; 01-26-2007 at 04:29 PM.
desertblossom79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:48 PM   #4
rylan'smomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas! The extra fluids are just a preventative measure. Rylan's doctor just mentioned to keep up on the fluids. I know that extra fluids also help thin secretions so that they are easier to cough up. We are just being careful here. Thanks so much for the ideas.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:58 PM   #5
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Jello is a fluid, and most babies love it. Lots of "goodies" like popsicles, sherbert, pedialite or gatoraide (the dr said to give our kids the gatoraide over pedialite as it tastes better and they drink more and drinking more is more important than the little bit of sugar that makes it taste better).

Hope that helps a bit It is soooo hard to be a mommy when your little ones are sick. The best medicine in our house.. lots of love (hugs, holding, kisses etc)!
Old 01-26-2007, 05:04 PM   #6
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wet a corner of a wash cloth and give it to him to chew on (alittle water will be ok and help with the fluids.
Hope he feels better soon, ds had it right before Christmas (20m now) and was MISERABLE so I feel you
Old 01-26-2007, 09:43 PM   #7
RobinOK
Registered Users
seller

We just got back from the ER tonight with our 9 months old (tomorrow). He has RSV, an ear infection and the radiologist thought the onset of pneumonia too. The nurse also stressed liquids. When he had the Rotavirus over Christmas (yes, we can't catch a break this winter) we were giving him pedilyte from a syringe. That's probably what we will do tomorrow too if he doesn't start taking his bottle. Hope your little one starts feeling better.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:15 PM   #8
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

watered down pedialyte. That stuff works so well. Full strength is just too sweet for my babe.