Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2010, 05:29 AM   #1
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Exzema in a Toddler

Okay, so my DD (21 months) has always had sensitive skin. That would be the reason we ventured into the world of CDing and I found Diaperswappers and my new addiction. When she was an infant we couldn't control her diaper rash with ANYTHING and all the creams and ointments made it worse. So we switched to CDing at 12 months and use method baby diaper cream on the rare occasions we need to. Well in her last 21 months of life, the kid gets a new rash of so kind on her body every month. Typically they go away with hydrocortizone cream. A month ago she got a nasty flakey looking rash that wouldn't go away with ANYTHING. So I finally took her to the dermatologist on Thursday. He didn't even spend 5 minutes with us before saying Exzema. So now she is on a prescription lotion and hydrocortizone cream that we put on 2 times a day. It seems to be helping but...WITH INSURANCE ITS $110 FOR BOTH TUBES. We CANNOT afford this every month or even every 2 months.

All that being said, I can probably pinpoint what caused this bad breakout. Since we discovered her sensitive skin, I had been using method baby soap or Burts Bees and then Free and Clear detergent with not fabric softener. Well, about 2 months ago, I got cheap and slack and started buying cheap J&J soap and shampoo and washing her clothes with Free and Clear still but using fabric softener. I'm going to cut all that out, but my question is what "soaps" are soap free? What bubble bath can she use (she LOVES bubble baths)? What shampoo can she use? Are there better things than Burts or Method? I'm committed to using this stuff b/c it will still be cheaper than $110 a month on the prescription ointments.

TIA for reading this and helping!

Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010, 05:51 AM   #2
massbb2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Exzema in a Toddler

Could it be that she has a food allergy?

My dd is allergic to dairy, eggs and soy. Even trace amounts make her skin breakout. Usually starts on her face around her cheeks and chin and then travels to her arms and hands, belly and lower back. Very sandpapery.

Yes, the prescription stuff is expensive, but it does work. If you can pinpoint the cause of the flair, you'll only need to use a small amount every once in a blue moon if she comes across her allergen accidentally.

Good luck. I'd recommend you see an allergist for some tests.

HTH.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:06 AM   #3
babyGmommy
Registered Users
seller

also switch all your little ones clothing to cotton, no fleece, or other polyester fabrics , those irritate there skin like crazy...
my youngest one has bad eczema bad but would flare worse when she had those fabrics on...
we have the same cream too i use it when it flares up (most of the time its because she wears tights, or some fabric that irritated it
we use a wash for all our cloths my husband and girls all allergies Purex F&C, and no fabric softeners big big no no in this house.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:27 AM   #4
BookishMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DS, who is almost 5 1/2, has very sensitive skin and mild-moderate eczema. When he was a baby our pedi advised us NOT to use commercial baby washes. We were told to use either Dove for Sensitive Skin (unscented) or Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing bar. Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing bar is a non-soap bar and it's what I use for my own skin since I too have very sensitive skin. For DS we started using Dove for Sensitive Skin when he was a newborn (pedi gave us sample sized bars) and so we have continued to use it.

We slather DS's worst skin patches with Eucerin Calming Creme and try to keep using Calming Creme where those patches form even when he doesn't have patches, so that they don't form. We've also used Eucerin Original Creme, which comes in a tub and is very thick. And, sometimes we've used Aquaphor too.

DS gets eczema on his scalp too, and most of the time soaking the patches with Burt's Bees Baby Oil and brushing carefully with a soft hairbrush before washing his hair works to remove the scaling, but occasionally he gets a bad patch and we have to resort to using Head & Shoulders sensitive formula or, as a last resort, Neutrogena T/Gel under the advisement of his pedi. I would only use T/Gel if you are told to do so by a pedi and it is really bad, because the stuff smells terrible. And, I don't think T/Gel can be used on very young children either.

ITA with others who have advised using Free & Clear formula detergents and trying to avoid too much polyester in clothing.
DS (6), DD (Born 2/15/2010)
BookishMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:32 AM   #5
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

The so-called J&J soaps are NOT soaps, they are detergents basically and tend to have a lot of harsh chemicals in them. There are some GREAT WAHMs here who make homemade soap. I would maybe look into a Castile soap since that's mild and moisturizing. Mellow Yellow Soap has some available but I'm sure other WAHMs do too. Other soaps may work as well, we've done well using goat's milk soap for DD. There was another one I had gotten from another mom (who was not on here) that was a goat's milk with oatmeal. I plan to use castile for the baby we're expecting and using bar soap from the get go. We've used other soaps including Dr. Bronner's and California Baby and those are okay but using the bar soaps (along with lotion) kept DD from getting any dry patches at all. The other soaps also have citric acid which I believe DD has a slight sensitivity to.

For bubble bath (which you don't want to do too often since they can cause UTIs), we have used Aura Cacia for kids http://www.auracacia.com/dspCatPct.p...ra%20Cacia&i=p

They smell great and haven't been too harsh for DD and they do foam pretty well. We get them at the co-op.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:40 AM   #6
south5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 5 year old has it pretty bad. Bubble baths are pretty much out, we do baths in Colloidal Oatmeal. Instead of the prescription cream I bought a tube of lotion for excema in the baby bath section of Target. Its called Triple Paste and works well.
south5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:45 AM   #7
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

My doc told us to use Dove soap, only bathe her 3x a week, and don't use washcloths. After her bath, don't totally dry her off (that gets rid of the natural oils), but instead lather her up with lotion.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:47 AM   #8
babyGmommy
Registered Users
seller

i also only give the girls a bath 2/3 times a week. and no bubble baths,
we just wash hair and play in the warm water, i don't even use bath soaps on them.

dh and I use Lever 2000 bar soap, and works great for out skin. we have used others and this works his.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:47 AM   #9
babyGmommy
Registered Users
seller

double post oops!
Old 01-23-2010, 06:47 AM   #10
katy_bug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by massbb2 View Post
Could it be that she has a food allergy?
I second this. DH and DS have excema and we have found that it is a manifestation of a dairy sensitivity in both of them. We also use Charlies Soap for the laundry and California Baby products for lotion, bubble bath and shampoos. We had issues with Burt's Bees so you might want to check that out. It is more irritating than you think.
katy_bug is offline   Reply With Quote