Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2010, 06:59 AM   #11
maureen73
Registered Users
seller

Re: Exzema in a Toddler

My DD, now age 3 was diagnosed several years ago with "the most severe case of eczema" her pediatrician had ever seen (that was her exact quote). Hannah's is related to food allergies (egg whites, peaches and beet sugar) as well as any skin irritant i.e. anything artificial or scented in detergents, soaps etc.

Here is the plan worked for us ( I very rarely have to use the hydrocortisone cream and only use it when she has a severe flare up)

1. only unscented fragrance free detergents
2. 100 % cotton clothing
3. Protect areas at night that may get scratched and infected by loose fitting all cotton clothes
4. Good probiotic every day
5. ZINC (This is by far the BEST help for her skin that the Dr. ordered). I by the adult chewable and cut it in half for her every day.
6. Omega Supplement (we use Dr. Sears chewables but any good quality one would work)...the is the second best in my opinion
7. We do not use any bubble bath except recently I tried one that I found by Method baby-which at brief intervals has not bothered her skin at all. I would caution against other bubble baths and use just a touch of what you use for shampoo already to make a few bubbles (Just a side note....bubble bath could actually be contributing to her eczema)
8. Lukewarm baths...showers are better imo. Try to keep it to 10 minutes (not less and not longer).
9. Pat skin dry with cotton towel (don't rub dry) and lotion immediately while skin is still moist (I have used Burts Bees with buttermilk and Natures Gate Oatmeal). The best moisturizer that I have ever used is simple organic coconut oil. It is amazing and a little goes a lonnnng way.
10. Ask Dr. for free samples of your prescribed cream to cut down on cost
11. We use Jason naturals kids shampoos or Method. I have not had a lot of luck with Burts Bees for Hannah's skin since she reacts to the peppermint in some of the products
12. In our case we are diligent about avoiding any of her food triggers

Hannah's skin is MUCH better and I very rarely have to use the hydrocortisone cream. In fact I can't even remember the last time I had to use it. Good luck!

Advertisement

Last edited by maureen73; 01-23-2010 at 07:01 AM.
maureen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #12
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

She was tested for food allergies and came back that she wasn't allergic to anything. I think it is strictly a skin thing! DH has somewhat sensitive skin. I hate cutting out bubble baths all together b/c she asks for them now. She either wants a bubble bath or a shower with mommy. Bathing 2/3 times a week is not an option b/c I think I have the dirtiest kid in the world LOL. If there is a mess to get into she does and is literally filthy when she comes home from daycare everyday from playing. However, many times, I don't wash her with soap, I just let the water rinse her off. I will definitely try the dove soap. And we use aquafor but it doesn't help, can you all recommend another lotion?
Old 01-23-2010, 11:38 AM   #13
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh yeah, and I don't think fabrics are the problem b/c when we started CDing I used fleece and microfleece lined pockets and we haven't had any issues with diaper rash since we quit with sposies. I really really think it is a chemical detergent issue. I'm just trying to find out what I can use. I am going to just keep it up with little boy when he is born in May b/c I am assuming he will probably have the same issues!
Old 01-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #14
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

DD's mostly growing out of hers, but we had to use especially mild solutions with her because she was diagnosed with it at 3 months old.

Definitely step away from teh J&J stuff. I used either burt's bees or Lush's "Honey I washed the kids" soap. Both are fantastic. I havn't tried castille soap yet.

Bath only every few days - I can tell by how DD's hair smells when she needs one, which is typically every 3-4 days.

In the winter, which is when hers is the worst, I did milk, honey and oatmeal baths. Take regular oats, pulverize them in a blender or food processor. A 1/4 cup is plenty. Add a couple tablespoons of honey(I waited until she was a year before using honey), a 1/4 cup of milk, and blend, then pour into the bath under running water. The upside is it helped her skin - the downside is I had to scrub out my tub after she had her bath every single time. When she gets out, I pat her dry and coat her skin with some sesame oil (apparently you can use just about anything, but I had sesame oil handy.)

Keep the patches covered. When she was a baby it was easy to keep her from scratching, just put mitts on her, or put her in onesies or sleepers that fold over the hands. Now as she got older you'd laugh at some of the things I had to do to keep her from scratching, especially at night! She's crafty, I tell you!

I discovered by accident that the calendula diaper cream I had bought to be safe to use with her cloth works great to calm a patch. She'd immediately start trying to dig at the patches behind her knees as soon as her pants came off for a diaper change, so out of desperation once I put a swipe of her diaper cream (only thing I had handy) right on the patch. She stopped digging at them immediately - not sure if it helped calm it, or she was just intrigued by the stuff that she was getting on her fingers, but it gave me time enough to change her diaper and get her pants back on!

She went from having patches all over her body as a 3 month old, to having a few patches on her legs as a 1 year old, to having patches behind her knees that rarely give her problems now that she's 2. I think she's just growing out of it now.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #15
themaelane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We've been battling my dd's skin too. Have any of you tried eczema oil ? Go here: http://www.homesteadcompany.com/product_p/eo.htm it's working great here. I'm also using"DML" lotion my mom gets from her derm.

Also, soaking her scalp with olive oil b4 a bath helps us too.

I can't wait to try some of your other ideas!
ISO: NB covers/fitteds, flats, wool, 'big sister' stuff for a 4YO girl.
themaelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:11 PM   #16
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my son has recently developed it on his scalp. and we use only burt's bees shampoo on his head. seems a lot of us are using it, and maybe that is not helping? I've ordered some CA baby calendula shampoo and hoping that helps it.

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:03 PM   #17
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac1976 View Post
My doc told us to use Dove soap, only bathe her 3x a week, and don't use washcloths. After her bath, don't totally dry her off (that gets rid of the natural oils), but instead lather her up with lotion.

I know others mentioned Dove and other similar "soaps" and I again say

I have suffered from Eczema my entire life, I remember all the just use Dove on her and it will help and her are all the creams blah, blah, blah. Every time we went to the Dr's the same stuff. Guess what, the creams would work for a little bit then BAM, my legs (where I have the biggest issues) would open, crack and bleed. I hated dealing with it and feel awful for kids who have to deal with this.

#1 Don't use DOVE!!!!! It like many other products as mentioned by a PP is a detergent. The issue with the detergents is that SLS/SLES that are the most common ones are known to aggravate Eczema (and acne). These soaps, do have moisturizers so can help for a little bit, but I have not found one person that this stuff has really helped long term. J&J products have SLS/SLES and probably your LO probably had a reaction to that or the fragrances.

Skip all products that are fragranced. Don't use anything with citrus (fragrance or essential oils) oils, they can strip oils. Try and use simple handmade products. I suggest this for several reasons, the main one being if he has a reaction she can more easily figure out what ingredient is bothering him. I can't use palm oil that is in a lot of soaps, working with simple handmade soaps I was able to learn this and could better find and later make a soap that worked for me. Currently a mix of Shea, Cocoa butter and some oils is the best thing for me, I also only use handmade soaps, and SLS/SLES free shampoos (because no poo just doesn't work for me ).

Watch your water temp, most people who suffer from eczema can have worse reactions from water that is too hot. Warmer water strips oils from the skin.

A unscented laundry detergent can really help and fabric softener can really set off any skin condition. Simple again is the best!

Diet can be the trigger for some eczema sufferers. For me though it is almost 100% external causes. I can tell you, once you find the real right products it can help to calm the skin and keep the out breaks to almost zero. Good luck, I so feel for your LO.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote