Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
Skittle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
The first dentist appointment?

When did you take your LO to see the dentist for the first time?

Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
cereal527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: The first dentist appointment?

I waited longer than I probably should have for the older two, but they were 4 and 5. Luckily they had no problems with their teeth. I also took youngest dd at the time and she had just turned 2, but all they did was count her teeth and try to get her to let the dentist to look around in her mouth. At the ped. dentist we go to, they don't start cleaning them until they are 3 at a minimum since they have to go in the back without the parents, but they like for them to start coming in younger to get used to the office and letting people look in their mouths.
cereal527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
Knifty Kniteez
Registered Users
Formerly: gbryndi
seller

My Mood:

we just took our kids and my ODD was 4 1/2 and should have taken her sooner, she had many cavities and my DS was 2 1/2 and had nothing wrong and YDD is only 11 months so she didnt go.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

ds is just over 2, and im planning on taking him soon for the first time.

my cousin is on medicaid, and they had her take her baby at 6 months.... i dont think she even had any teeth yet then, lol

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Oldest we tried at 3 1/2 and could not get her past the waiting area (she has a big fear of doctors in general due to an incident when she was 22 months old ). So she did not go for her first real visit till a few months ago, after she turned 5 yrs old. My other dd just went in a couple weeks ago and she's 3 1/2. These were 'Happy' visits, just so they could see all the equipment, meet the dentist etc. They did count teeth and do a quick look but no cleaning or anything like that. They both will go back in 6 months for their first cleaning
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
sjmj
Registered Users

I start taking my kids at age 3 (after that they go every 6 months). I take them to the dentist we go to, not a pediatric one.

All of the pediatric dentists in our area will not let parents go back with the kids. This is just not acceptable to me. I go in the room with my kids when they go to the doctor for a check-up, why would I not do the same at the dentist office?

Just last night, I watched 20/20 and it was completely horrible what the pediatric dentists were doing to those kids, while their parents waited in the waiting room. (tied down, screaming, throwing-up, etc.). I am sure there are great pediatric dentists but I just do not have the time to look into any and have not had any problems with our regular dentist.

My kids love going to the dentist and we have never run into any problems.
sjmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
GAmommy2CBCS
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both of mine were 3 years old at their first visit. The dentist counted their teeth and took a good look at them. Then had their first cleaning at 3 1/2. I chose a pediatric dentist who allows parents to go back with the children for all procedures (cleaning, fillings, etc).
GAmommy2CBCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
Skittle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmj View Post
I start taking my kids at age 3 (after that they go every 6 months). I take them to the dentist we go to, not a pediatric one.

All of the pediatric dentists in our area will not let parents go back with the kids. This is just not acceptable to me. I go in the room with my kids when they go to the doctor for a check-up, why would I not do the same at the dentist office?

Just last night, I watched 20/20 and it was completely horrible what the pediatric dentists were doing to those kids, while their parents waited in the waiting room. (tied down, screaming, throwing-up, etc.). I am sure there are great pediatric dentists but I just do not have the time to look into any and have not had any problems with our regular dentist.

My kids love going to the dentist and we have never run into any problems.

I will refuse to go to a doc that doesn't allow me to be or see my child. I'm her parent and she's a minor, and I have the right to be with her at all times.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #9
tonewinwy
Registered Users

My Mood:

My Sister started taking her boys to the Dentist when they was a yr old. They go every 6mos. This last time I took them since both my Sister and her Husband had to work. They both got their teeth cleaned and both screamed and fought the entire time I practically had to lie on them to hold them down.
At the time they were 2 and 3 1/2 yrs old. Come to think of it their due for another visit soon.
It's OK, next time I'll make you listen. I wish that it were in the power of all children to say that to their parents and to know that indeed they would be heard as we were in those wonderful days on Waltons Mountain.Narrator The Waltons (From the Runaway in Season 3 Eposide 4.)
tonewinwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #10
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dentist told us 3 and that is how old I was when I started to see his Dad. At least I know my dentist is good. DS will go to our visits to see the office since it isn't local. That way he shouldn't be as scared.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote