Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #11
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: The first dentist appointment?

our pediatric dentist (we're so lucky, my husband grew up with her and she's AWESOME!) recommends bringing the kids in for a meet and greet type appointment around 12 months old, to get them used to the whole process, and then every six months after that.

we actually didn't take our oldest for his first visit until 3.5, at which he got a cleaning and everything. our youngest son has his first visit scheduled the same day as our oldest's next visit in a few months, so he'll be 2.5. i'm sure he'll get a basic exam and a cleaning/sealant like jack got at his first.

an awesome pediatric dentist is worth his/her weight in gold!

Advertisement

Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:52 AM   #12
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

We took DD1 at 20 months, only BECAUSE we noticed some issues. Sure enough, there were definitely issues.

We had them check out DD2's teeth at DD1's last checkup, so she was 18 months. It was great, she actually loved it and it helped that she saw her sister there. I will take all of our kids by around 18-20 months since we have genetic dental issues to deal with.

We also see a pediatric dentist and he's GREAT. He encourages parental involvement to the furthest extent and won't do anything that the child or parent is uncomfortable with.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:37 PM   #13
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS was 5 only because I did not have insurance prior. ODD was 3 1/2 (failed attempt at 3, she absolutely refused) and my YDD will be going this summer around her 3rd bday too but I know she will cooperate because she let the dentist take a quick peek this past summer with no issues. Plus our dental hygienist is great with the kids too.
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:20 PM   #14
Whits01
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The pediatric dentist here in town recommends their first visit to be by their 1 yr birthday.
DD turns 1 in April (!), and her appt is for the beginning of June.
Whits01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #15
charisma3458
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I took DD1 to the same dentist that I go to. She's 3 years old and her first visit was a few months ago. They were so friendly and great with her. Her visit was scheduled right before my visit and I stayed with her during her visit. DD1 is not too thrilled with doctors because of all the testing she had done when she was little. The dental assistant and dentist were great though. They managed to talk her into letting them count all her teeth and talked with her about brushing her teeth every day. She was excited she got a new toothbrush from them. Then for my appointment she stayed in the room and they gave her crayons and a coloring book to keep busy while I had my exam. She goes back in May to try for the actual cleaning, but they said that at this age it's just all about "happy" dentist appointments and when she is ready and allows it then they will clean her teeth.
/ /
charisma3458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:35 PM   #16
Dewberri
Registered Users
seller

I looked into this when DD was born... I researched a lot of things that wouldn't be relevant for years later when I was pregnant, i guess i was obsessed with making sure i knew exactly how to care for her... ANYWAY, I read that you should start taking them to the dentist 6 months after their first tooth comes through. I thought that was a little ridiculous so I asked our dentist -- he said 2 - 3 yrs old so they can get used to going before they really need anything done -- and a family friend (who is a family physician) who recommended 3 yrs old.

We will probably take DD when she's 2 and a half... depending on whether we decide on a ped dentist or our dentist.

My hobby: Fluff-n-Stuff -> Temp. on hold while I rebuild my stash for the newbie
Dewberri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #17
zacks_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cereal527 View Post
I waited longer than I probably should have for the older two, but they were 4 and 5. Luckily they had no problems with their teeth. I also took youngest dd at the time and she had just turned 2, but all they did was count her teeth and try to get her to let the dentist to look around in her mouth. At the ped. dentist we go to, they don't start cleaning them until they are 3 at a minimum since they have to go in the back without the parents, but they like for them to start coming in younger to get used to the office and letting people look in their mouths.
Go back without the parent?? I would not be ok with that. I dont let the pediatrician look at DS without me there...My DS would flip if a stranger took him and was trying to get him to open his mouth...How do they get them to hold still? Do they strap them down??
I have a horrible fear of the dentist, I do not want to pass that onto DS!!
Old 01-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #18
cereal527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacks_mommy View Post
Go back without the parent?? I would not be ok with that. I dont let the pediatrician look at DS without me there...My DS would flip if a stranger took him and was trying to get him to open his mouth...How do they get them to hold still? Do they strap them down??
no they don't strap them down. The kids were hesitant, but the office is really awesome. They have video games and movies for the kids to play/watch while they get their teeth cleaned, and I haven't experienced it, but I'm sure if a kid was freaking out the would come and get the parents. I know people are freaked out about the concept, especially because of that show that was on last night, but the kids are totally ok with it, and I like the office and trust all the people that work there, so it's just not a big deal to me that they go back without a parent. The back is a huge open area with a lot of chairs and dental hygenists working there, so it's not like they take your kid into an exam room.
cereal527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:57 PM   #19
boy-oh-boy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS1 went for the first time last fall. He's 5. DSS1 went for the first time this last fall too, around when he turned 12. DSS2 I think was 6 or 7? At least since he came to live with us, not sure about before then. DS2 (4) I will be waiting several more years to take - it's hard for ME to get into his mouth with a toothbrush without adding a stranger into the mix.

FWIW, all of the ones who have been did great on their first visit. I know DSS2 (10) and DS1 both enjoyed the visit a lot. DS1 (5) had cavities filled on the first visit and had to do more the next day... he was looking forward to his "pinch" (anesthesia shot) when we went back. Go figure..

I went back with DSS2 and DS1 on their first visits and let them go on their own after that since they were ok with it.

Last edited by boy-oh-boy; 01-23-2010 at 03:07 PM.
boy-oh-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #20
sjmj
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacks_mommy View Post
Watching 20/20 last night, they did strap them down...but I am sure they were showing the worst of the worst. I could not believe my eyes! They did this without the parents being there. The dentist said they usually only have to do it about 7-10% of the time....WHAT???? My DH and I were in shock!!

No way is someone taking my kid without be going with them! Yes, I do have trust issues
sjmj is offline   Reply With Quote