Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #21
zacks_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: The first dentist appointment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmj View Post
Watching 20/20 last night, they did strap them down...but I am sure they were showing the worst of the worst. I could not believe my eyes! They did this without the parents being there. The dentist said they usually only have to do it about 7-10% of the time....WHAT???? My DH and I were in shock!!

No way is someone taking my kid without be going with them! Yes, I do have trust issues
yep, until my kid is able to speak up and defend themselves, they dont go anywhere alone!! Even if it is a doctor/dentist/nurse etc. No way,no how...
And I didnt even watch the 20/20 episode last night (DH took me on a date)...but from the sounds of it, that is my dentist nightmare!!

Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010, 06:47 PM   #22
missdawn25
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I asked my dentist and he said 3 was perfect for beginning dental visits. They do suggest that starting at 2 you bring your lo with you to your appointments so they can see the office and lean what happens. They even have dvd players to keep the lo's occupied if they start to get bored during the parents visits.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #23
MyKylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

12 month is what our dentist said. We didn't take DD until she was 3 1/2 and she had major issues due to being on well (non-floridated) water. I wish I had done it sooner! Our DS we started at 18 months.

K R M
MyKylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:53 PM   #24
MyKylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with PPs...no way in heck my kid is ever going anywhere w/o me!

K R M
MyKylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:25 PM   #25
bthane23
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We start going around 3. We go to a pedi. dentist but he allows parents to go back. In fact, he has big rooms that allow for siblings to hang out while they clean the other's teeth. I would never go to a dentist or doctor or even a dance class that didnt allow me to be present if I want to be! He always reminds me that I can bring my younger kids at 12 months, but I always just wait until 3.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:31 PM   #26
jenna0913
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With all my kids I have taken them 6 months after there first tooth. My OS was 10 months old. And my YS and DD was 12 months old. We have catch so major teeth problems with my OS. I love my Ped denist. I always go in the back with my youngest one. She is 18 monthes.
jenna0913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:33 PM   #27
MamaNotes
Registered Users

My Mood:

I feel a lot better after reading this thread. I read somewhere that kids are suppose to go to the dentist as soon as their first teeth come in. Lucas is 10 months and hasn't been yet! I plan on taking him within the next few months.
MamaNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #28
backtobasics
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle View Post
I will refuse to go to a doc that doesn't allow me to be or see my child. I'm her parent and she's a minor, and I have the right to be with her at all times.
ODD is 3 1/2... I made an appt for her a few months ago but when I got there I was told I could not go back. They even had a form they wanted me to sign stating that I understood the office policy - no parents allowed in the back unless the dentist needed to explain a procedure. We left and I have not found a local dentist that will allow me to go back with her. She doesn't have any problems, so we're waiting a while!
backtobasics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #29
swismiself
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I work for a dentist.

Unless you notice a problem, I would wait until your child is at least 3. He or she can come with you for appointments for a ride in the chair at a younger age, but I would not expect a child under age 3 to be able to sit still long enough for a cleaning.

Of course there are exceptions. I've seen my boss do a filling on a 2.5 year old, and I've seen 10 year olds we've had to refer out to a pediatric dentist because he was totally unmanageable.

Most schools require children entering kindergarten to have had a full dental exam and cleaning.
swismiself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:52 PM   #30
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I took my ODS at 3, I'm planning taking DD this year (she's 2).

Our dentist lets me come back with them, I clarified this point before making the appointment. I will not see a doctor that tries to separate me from my minor semi-verbal child...
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote