Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-27-2007, 12:39 AM   #11
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How can I teach her not to cry when...

if DS gets something he can't have I'll kinda dangle something else in front of him, then put it just out of his reach. It almost never fails and he'll go for the "new" thing and drop the other thing.... Its as if he wants what he has to try hard to get. KWIM? give it a shot... can't hurt...

and yeah, my ds come how gets and eats paper at least once a day.

Advertisement

Old 01-27-2007, 12:42 AM   #12
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

spinning off of the paper eating topic... she just picked up a lint ball off the floor, shoved it in her mouth, showed me and then locked her jaws closed so I couldn't get it out! Then when I finally did get it she stuck her tongue out and laughed at me the little brat lol. Does anyone know any tricks for getting her to open her mouth rather than having to pry it open with the jaws of life?
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:49 AM   #13
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well I kinda, with one hand slightly squeeze the cheeks together kinda like trying to make him do a kissy face, then he clenches down about that point and when I dont let go he'll get PO'ed and open up while crying at me. But the only reason I hate to do this is I am afraid he'll get real mad and inhale before a yelp and inhale whatever I am trying to retreive... *knock on wood*

HTH
Old 01-27-2007, 01:11 AM   #14
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As for the redirecting thing, it helps if you act like you're REALLY into whatever it is that you're redirecting her attention too. Also, like an OP mentioned, putting it out of reach helps too.
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:11 AM   #15
loni1090
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessa1002 View Post
As for the redirecting thing, it helps if you act like you're REALLY into whatever it is that you're redirecting her attention too. Also, like an OP mentioned, putting it out of reach helps too.

Yeah, you really got to make it sound sooo good, too good they can't pass it up LOL
I soo overact and make it look so good, they get curious as to what I have or am looking at, KWIM?

As for the stuff they put in their mouth, lint or paper, itwon't kill them. Donovan used to do it for effect. He would put a piece of paper is his mouth and walk up to my mom and show her what was in his mouth. My mom would start freeking out and he would crack up about it. With me, I made it no big deal and just calmly took it out of his mouth our let him chew on the paper. I was not as fun because I did not react to it. He eventually would take it out.

Alex used to put things in hes mouth to test them or taste it. He was always exploring. So a lot of the times I let him as long as I was not worried he would choke.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:29 AM   #16
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ugh, that's a hard one. Sometimes if you have to get something done, and you KNOW she's okay, you just have to let her follow you around and yell at you. There's a difference between a mad yell-cry and a sad "I need you" cry, and they really do have to learn that sometimes mommy has other things to do, kwim?

At 8 months she's still really young to understand, but can you wear her maybe? I pretty much wore Nathan until he learned how to walk - then he just started following me around trying to *help* --- I say help in the loosest sense; today while helping me load the dishwasher, he dumped a 4L jug of olive oil all over the kitchen floor!

She is really trying to learn WHAT she can do and what she can't. Try talking to her the whole time you have her down, kwim? Nathan gets a narrative of everything I do: now we're going to sweep the floor, where's your broom? Let's fold the laundry and put it in the basket. Now we're going to turn on the dishwasher, turn the knob for Mama. Let's take out the milk, do you want milk in your Thomas cup?l..... You get the idea. You're still paying attention to her but not holding her.

Other than that, I dunno - at 8 mos, Nathan was exactly the same.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:15 AM   #17
Steve's Wife
Registered Users
seller

I just wanted to chime in an say when she's a little older it will be easier b/c they love to give you stuff. when dd has something she shouldn't, i can usually smile and say can mommy have that, and she'll hand it to me. i'll say thank you and give her a big kiss and she gets all proud of herself. unless it's something really excited and forbidden...then she wants to keep it
Steve's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:15 AM   #18
mimid
Registered Users
seller

I have a few baskets of toys and only 1 is ont he floor at a time so when they really need something else, I just switch toys on them. Then it is a whole new game. I don't let them cry at all if I can help it. I figure it is only going to be for a while and I can deal with it.

As for eating stuff, we have a parrot so the girls get a decent diet of nuts and seeds. I just do the pinch and finger swoopbut really, nothing int he house that they can get to is going to hurt them. It usually comes out the other end so I don't stress it.

Also, try a back carry with a mei tei or wrap. My girls love that and it works when they are jsut too into everythign.
mimid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:19 AM   #19
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:

When I take something from my DS, I always say "thank you!" in a pretty cheery voice. On top of teaching him to say thank you, he didn't seem to notice that I took something from him. I'm also always redirecting, but my DS is a good bit older, so maybe my advice will have to wait a little while for you.
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:01 PM   #20
laniesmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Even at such a young age, I've found that empathizing with their feelings helps. Name the feeling. "Whilder, you're frustrated that Mommy won't continue to walk you around right now". Then follow it up with something that you can/will do right now and follow through with it. "Lets go read a book"... She'll eventually catch on that you are recognizing and validating her feelings and offering an alternative to whatever it is that you can't keep doing or allow her to keep doing. But like the pp said, be consistent. If you back up on it, she'll see that you are backing down, and she'll easily learn how to manipulate you.

Hang in there! Like all things do, 'this too shall pass'.

Melissa
laniesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote