Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-27-2007, 12:07 PM   #21
laniesmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How can I teach her not to cry when...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooey View Post
spinning off of the paper eating topic... she just picked up a lint ball off the floor, shoved it in her mouth, showed me and then locked her jaws closed so I couldn't get it out! Then when I finally did get it she stuck her tongue out and laughed at me the little brat lol. Does anyone know any tricks for getting her to open her mouth rather than having to pry it open with the jaws of life?
We've always had decent luck with asking our DD, "Show me, ahhh". She's so funny. Even now at 19 months if I say "show me, ahhh", she opens up and says ahhh. She thinks it's a game. Try playing it with Whilder when she doesn't have anything in there so she thinks it's a game. Then when she really does have something in there, she may be more receptive to the idea of opening up.

Also, I've learned that if I know what it is and it will go through the system, I don't bother. A little lint or paper never killed anybody . I know it's , but you really have to ask yourself if it's worth the frustration, kwim?

Again, hang in there!

Advertisement

laniesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:08 PM   #22
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

lol...kaela. it's hard, i probably am guilty of giving in a bit too much...b/c lets face it sometimes it IS easier...but that's just AT THAT TIME LOL!!!! whereas you don't want her to be "that kid" you also have to pick your battles. my sister finally taught me something that is working, pick 2 things you want to work on, focus on those for 2 weeks and let everything else slide (to a point). we've almost got the screaming and whining under control here. it's nice!!!!!!

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:10 PM   #23
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
spinning off of the paper eating topic... she just picked up a lint ball off the floor, shoved it in her mouth, showed me and then locked her jaws closed so I couldn't get it out! Then when I finally did get it she stuck her tongue out and laughed at me the little brat lol. Does anyone know any tricks for getting her to open her mouth rather than having to pry it open with the jaws of life?

I LOVE HER!!!!!! and to answer that question...nope

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:20 PM   #24
tillers72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You know what's so funny is that my ODS is a pro at redirecting YDS if he wants something YDS has!!! He will purposely get a toy that he knows Jeremy loves to play with and hands it to him while taking the other thing and it works EVERYTIME!!! It's hilarious to see him work his little brother, but you have to give him credit..he figured it out all on his own!

**we are now in Central Illinois and getting adjusted!**
tillers72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:31 PM   #25
amandaev
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
This is what I'm doing now, but there is a fine line between CIO and GD sometimes I guess... I'm just to guilty about letting her cry at all. Maybe I should just use the Boobie trick lol I do most of the time anyway, but for some reason DH isn't a fan of that method.
It really isn't bad once they know you mean business. It's not like leaving your baby in the crib, crying for an hour until they fall asleep. Once they figure out that crying isn't going to get them what they want. They stop. You might have to use the boobie trick the first few times, but after a while they remember that crying doesnt work. They are SO smart! Trying to manipulate us! Ha! I was good with my daughter. But I think cuz my DS was the baby I let him get away with it. It is sad to hear them cry like that, but IMO it's important to set a few rules early, kwim?
Old 01-27-2007, 12:33 PM   #26
amandaev
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Yeah! Could have saved me some pain. My kids alway bit my fingers. But I was trying to put something IN their mouth, not take it out.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:45 PM   #27
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Whilder sounds like the female version of Jack. He does the same things. When he has something he shouldn't I say "Give that to mama please" and give him a chance to give it to me (which has happened MAYBE once ever), and then just take it and say "thank you." If he cries I just distract him with something else. Sometimes it works, sometimes he thinks he needs to scream a good 3 minutes before waddling off finding something else he doesn't need. lol.

I don't think there's anything wrong with letting them have a temper tantrum. It's really one of their only ways to communicate right now. If he won't stop, I just pik him up and tell him "I'm sorry you're sad/mad, but you can't have that. It's yucky."

And let's be honest, if he won't choke on it, I just let him eat it these days.

This picture came from me taking a piece of dryer lint away from him. Yes. Dryer lint. He was certain he needed to eat it, but choked on EVERYthing back then. Now, if he finds dryer lint, more power to him. How's he going to learn what not to eat? lol.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:46 PM   #28
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OH, go in from the side (like the swoop for getting things out of the mouth). They don't have teeth on the sides, so there are gaps and the little jaws open easier. Less chance to get chomped on too!
Old 01-27-2007, 02:18 PM   #29
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

Do not under-estimate your baby!!! She is much smarter than you may think...lol . She "knows" that when she screams mama will give in. You are doing the right thing by ignoring it. Offer the substitute toy for the remote, play phone for the phone...whatever...and if she screams she screams. Can ya tell I have had a few....scream, cry , whatever, ya can't have such n such, get over it..lol. Now when they start flinging themselves on the floor, as long as she isn't going to hit her head on anything, let her throw her fit and walk away too. She wants your attention and to get what she wants. Once she realizes when mom says no it is no, she will more than likely stop. Unles she is one of the stubborn ones..heeheehee but that's another thread.

Oh and paper is better than pennies!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote