Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
cyndyinohio
Registered Users
seller

The FDA Changes Its Position On Bisphenol-A

Not sure if this is already on DS...

"According to an article in the New York Times, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has changed its position on the controversial chemical, bisphenol-A (BPA) and is now calling into question its safety to the public. This is in direct contrast to their decision in 2008 that indicated that BPA was in fact safe." "...the FDA recommends that new mothers breast feed their children for the first 12 months due to the fact that formula has traces of BPA in it (itís used in the containers and the liners of the cans)."

You can read the whole article here:
http://www.healthytheory.com/the-fda...on-bisphenol-a

Advertisement

cyndyinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Angel89411
Banned

Re: The FDA Changes Its Position On Bisphenol-A

Great...I couldn't BF DS for more than 6 weeks. Now I have to worry that if I can't BF the next one too, they are going tpo be ingesting possibly harmful chemicals?
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What are the "safe" plastic numbers again? I can never remember.

Last edited by JustAugust; 01-24-2010 at 01:16 PM.
JustAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great, so instead of perhaps requiring containers that don't contain the chemicals they are going to make parents who can't breastfeed posion our kids.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
jubethone
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am disappointed that the FDA is not having products containing BPA off the shelves
Old 01-24-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
Nagshead
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

so scary
Nagshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #7
nicolewilbanks
I could not ask for more
seller

Location: Wherever the Navy takes us, but always a Southern Belle at heart
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmyann View Post
Great, so instead of perhaps requiring containers that don't contain the chemicals they are going to make parents who can't breastfeed posion our kids.
apparently it's too hard for them to mandate the bigwigs to change their product.
and ISO/IHA
nicolewilbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
j+csmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, don't get upset with me here mamas. But how many of us have eaten or drank from these poisonous BPA plastic containers?? How many of us are just fine? I understand trying to keep our children as safe as possible, but I'm sure there's such a trace amount. And the biggest concern with BPA is when it's heated. How many of us that FF heat the container of formula? I know I don't. Sometimes it just seems like we freak out over some of the smallest things...
Old 01-24-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here in MN they passed a band on BPA in baby bottles! Of course this happened after I spent a ton of money on born free bottles online! Now everything in our stores is bpa free bottles. It should be that way every where!
vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:45 PM   #10
sweetcheeky
Registered Users

My Mood:

BPA was willingly banned in canada a few years ago! in the use of anything used for human consumption including food storage containers and bags
As soon as i heard their was any concern i changed the way we use and what type of plastic are allowed in my home better safe then sorry
Not to mention the way any safety system works is there is very preliminary test for safety and until something bad happens its safe.. look back over the years they use to use cocaine in tons of products for babys and children Now we know its not safe. alot of the time there hasnt been enough time to pass for there to be any type conclusive evidence to prove or disprove safety
Like one of the mama's said how many of us have used these products and are just fine. BUT how long are we fine for its more the long term affects of these products.. which we still dont know about They're is more and more studys coming out linking cancer to things we use everyday.
You cant provent everything bad from getting near you we live in a world that is full of pullotion to begin with but i think its important to know whats going on and make informed choices about what we being into our homes and into our bodys.
.. we have a rule of thumb in our home
if its man made synthetic, processed its probably not the best for us..or the envoriment plastic never goes away and alot of it is made from waste they cant do anything else with.. its really gross
Natural is best
Glass for example comes from a natural source and its just so much nicer then plastic anyways
sweetcheeky is offline   Reply With Quote