Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-25-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
LittleB'sMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Door knob locks...good or bad?

I am really torn about doorknob locks. You know the kind, the white things that go over a doorknob so the LO's can't open them.

SO, DD is 2. We co-sleep, and we are trying to get her back into her bedtime routine (lost it when ds was born almost 3 months ago). Before DS, at 7:30, we would say "bedtime" and off to bed she would go. I would come in a few hours later...but it gave DH and I some alone time for a bit. When DS came, everything went out the window...there was no more going to bed before us. Fine. Then of course christmas came, with travels and company, we were not about to start getting back into a routine to have it disruppted again, so now we are trying to get back into it.

Anyway, DD started going to bed again, as of 2 weeks ago, she would be as quiet as a mouse, turns off the monitor and destroys (pulls the blankets off the bed, empties dresser drawers, goes into the bathroom and gets into the hair "stuff") the room when I wasn't with her. Then she learned to open the bedroom door. DH right away thought we needed the doorknob locks. His mother went out and bought them for us. I though, am hesitant to put them on.

Why are they a good idea...other than the front and back door of the house? Why do people use them inside the house, other than for say the laundry or storage room? Should I be locking my child in a room? isn't it better that she can open the door and come out if she isn't tired, instead of destroying the room. I know I would shut the door before..which was to keep the dog out...not to keep her in. I had the monitor in there so if she had to go to the bathroom, I could come get her. Most times I am on the mainfloor, so I can hear her talking, so I don't turn the monitor on, but if I go to the basement, I turn it on, unless she has turned it off!

So tell me...should I put these things on the bedroom door?

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Door knob locks...good or bad?

We have those on our front door & garage door leading out from our basement.
I probably would for the bathroom door. Lots of scary dangerous stuff in there!
If she started being a danger to herself(maybe she already is!) then I wouldn't hesitate. It's safety, just like the front or back doors. I mean, it's really all varying degrees of captivity.
A crib.
A baby gate.
Door locks.
Fences.
Boarders.
Oceans.
Earth.
I mean really, it is! You just have to figure out what you are comfortable with.
You could try a video monitor so you can see what she is doing & nip her in the bud the second her little foot hits the floor. Maybe she just needs to know the boundaries still exist even when mama isn't in sight.
You could kid proof her sleeping environment. No dressers or anything else but a mattress on the floor?
Sorry mama.

Last edited by nakedbabytoes; 01-25-2010 at 02:26 PM.
nakedbabytoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
Emma
Registered Users
seller

We tried putting them on doors we didn't want Ivy to open, and honestly...she figured out how to open the doors w/the knob covers on it after several days. For us, they weren't worth it.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

We use them. I have them on the front door, garage door, pantry door, and I used to have them on all the bathroom doors, but now the boy needs to use the potty (they are for him, he has autism), so I just keep the soap locked up. He eats non edible items, hence locking up the soap. I used to have one on his door to keep him in at night. Honestly, it is too dangerous for him to wander around the house at 2 am without supervision! And he would do that. He would wake up at 2 or 3 am, try to leave the house, try to get in the bathroom, climb on the counters, etc. It's just not safe, so we kept him "locked" in at night. Now he shares a room with his 2 sisters and there is no door, but he doesn't wander around at night like he used to. I had no problems keeping him in for his own safety.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

Have you tried putting her in her own space and childproofing it completely? My DS slept in our room for a long time, and was really hesitant to move into his own room. When we moved, he got his own room, a "big-boy bed" (bunk beds), and he loves it! We made a big deal about it, and it turned out to be a really good thing for all of us. I am just thinking that she may be wanting more attention, and doing something just for her might provide that.
dressagemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
We tried putting them on doors we didn't want Ivy to open, and honestly...she figured out how to open the doors w/the knob covers on it after several days. For us, they weren't worth it.
this-my kids figured them out within a day
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
LittleB'sMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks all for teh feedback! I totally understand the doorlock think for their protection, but not for the sake of locking them in a room.
We have talked about giving her her won biggirl room, but she just won't have it. We put her toddler bed in, bought new special sheets and I made her a blanket...nope she won't have it. So DS sleeps in the crib, side cared to the bed, so DD gts to sleep with mommy and DS has to sleep in the "babybed". I think we are just going through the 2yr old crazy bedtime behavior stuff. I have thought about getting a video monitor and reversing the voice monitor so that way if she gets out of bed, I can talk into the monitor and tell her to get back to bed, but realistically I see it as a waste of money. We will get bedtime back to normal eventually...for now, I am just trying to wake up earlier and get her up earlier in the morning and after naps.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
boy-oh-boy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We only put them on the bathroom door.... and DS1 could open them anyway. He wasn't consciously thinking through how to open them, but he got them open pretty regularly. I took them back to the store and we have not ever had them since.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:01 PM   #9
redvlagrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Personally, I don't see the difference between putting a child in a crib or putting a door know cover on the door.

We will be transitioning DD into another bedroom which will be totally childproofed and once she can open door knobs we will get the locks. It's just not safe for her to be able to roam around our house (bathroom etc) while we are sleeping. It's for her own safety more than for us.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I do whatever it takes to keep my kids safe. We do use the door knob covers and various safety items around the house for their own protection. Both girls sleep in their own rooms so I am not sure what to tell you about the sleeping situation. Everyone sleeps in their own space at my house and I don't allow my toddler to get into my stuff especially not in the bathroom.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote