Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2007, 10:16 PM   #1
SAHMLamar
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Recipe for "hiding" ground meat. HELP!

My Dh goes deer hunting with my dad. Every year, we take that meat and have it processed. Last year, my dad got a grinder for himself. He did all his meat and my sister's too. It was fine. This year, my dh killed a deer and he and my dad began to process it. Usually they run it through twice (unknown to us), but my dad had an appt. that day and so they only ran it through once and he didn't tell DH that they needed to process it more. So dh came home with 70 lbs of deer meat. We froze it and then I started cooking with it. It has so much fat and grissel in it still. Every recipe that I normally use tastes "spongy". I feel like I'm on "Fear Factor". Anyway, I'm trying to make it work.

Anyone have a recipe where all the other stuff will hide our meat?

Advertisement

SAHMLamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:23 PM   #2
2sweetboys
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Recipe for "hiding" ground meat. HELP!

I've never had venison that was very 'fatty', but I only use the ground meat to make chili or spaghetti. My suggestion would be to brown it and use it in something that you can simmer for awhile. If it is grissly, cooking it will only make it more 'chewy'.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:46 PM   #3
SAHMLamar
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sweetboys View Post
I've never had venison that was very 'fatty', but I only use the ground meat to make chili or spaghetti. My suggestion would be to brown it and use it in something that you can simmer for awhile. If it is grissly, cooking it will only make it more 'chewy'.

Any suggestions for something that simmers for a while?
Old 01-28-2007, 11:03 PM   #4
travelinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Chili is good. Also soup simmers for awhile. You could try salsbury steak kind of, like meatballs but make pattys and simmer them in gravy.
travelinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:26 AM   #5
mary.margaret
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have a great recipe idea but can you grind it a second time after it defrosts before you cook??? I don't know much about it but...... maybe?
Old 01-29-2007, 09:35 AM   #6
2sweetboys
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHMLamar View Post
Any suggestions for something that simmers for a while?
Try browning the meat and making chili in the crock pot. Or you could do spaghetti...I make my own sauce and it simmers for about an hour.

You could also try mixing it 1/2 and 1/2 with beef.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:06 PM   #7
lovinlife
Registered Users

Here's a good soup recipe -- you can cook it as long as you want!

Hamburger (or in this case, deerburger!) soup:

Brown 1.5 lbs. ground beef with 1 chopped onion. Drain well. Put in large pot (crockpot would work fine) and add: 28-oz. can tomatoes, 2 c. water, 3 cans beef broth, 1 can tomato soup, 4 finely-chopped carrots, 1 bay leaf, 3 finely-chopped sticks of celery, parsley, 1/2 tsp. thyme, pepper, and 8 tb. barley. Simmer all day or at least 2 hours.
lovinlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:14 PM   #8
Fuzzi Fannies Creations
Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers
seller

My Mood:

I have heard that if you soak your deer meat in milk it will take away the deerish taste.. but.. my fav way to make it ( not hidden..lol ) is to cut it in bite size pieces and roll in flour with some salt and pepper and deep fat fry... eat with catchup and we call it CHISLIK!
Old 01-29-2007, 02:48 PM   #9
SAHMLamar
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzi Fannies Creations View Post
I have heard that if you soak your deer meat in milk it will take away the deerish taste.. but.. my fav way to make it ( not hidden..lol ) is to cut it in bite size pieces and roll in flour with some salt and pepper and deep fat fry... eat with catchup and we call it CHISLIK!

It's not the "deerish" taste that's the problem here, but all the grissel left in when it was only run through the grinder once. It's really spongy and has lots of tendons and ligaments still left. KWIM?
Old 01-29-2007, 02:56 PM   #10
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Gristle
you could chop it up, brown it, mix it with cheese and salsa, and wrap it in grands biscuits. Just flatten them into circles (sometimes I use two smashed together to make a bigger circle) put the filling on one side, then fold the other over and seal w/ a fork. Bake on a sheet for however long it says to bake the biscuits for. They make little pocket style sandwiches. They might hide the texture a little bit.
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote