Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
BaBaBabyMama
Registered Users
seller

can't find VBAC waterbirth - :crying:

I REALLY want to have a waterbirth, or at least be able to labor in a tub. But this will be a VBAC for me (DS was breech) and all the hospitals/drs keep saying I need continuous monitoring and can't be in the tub. I'm so sad I want to cry. I could try a homebirth but it kind of scares me because of the risk of uterine rupture. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I'd love to hear them - especially if you were able to find a place to have a VBAC waterbirth near Baltimore MD! TIA

Advertisement

BaBaBabyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #2
RochelleS
Registered Users
Formerly: shae
seller

My Mood:
Re: can't find VBAC waterbirth - :crying:

Sorry to hear that. Remember that when doctors say you aren't "allowed" to do something in labor, that just means that it's their strong suggestion. They cannot physically restrain you from getting into a tub. They cannot tie you down and make you have continuous monitoring, either. You have the right to refuse any intervention in labor and they cannot kick you out of the hospital for it. Sure, they might make it difficult and say mean or rude things, but in the end, it's your body and your decision!
Old 01-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
mommyofmonkeys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So sorry to hear that. What about a birthing center instead of at home? The midwife would know if there was a need to get you to the hospital in case of emergency.

I also agree with pp - if your body and your decision. Good luck!
Old 01-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

mama. I had a c/s with my daughter and it was the hardest experience of my life. With this baby I am going for a VBAC and have a very supportive nurse midwife this time. The hospital I'll be delivering at has like 50 rooms w/o a tub, and 20 rooms with a tub. I'm praying I go into labor and a room with a tub is free! She's all for me using the tub to cope with labor. I really, really wanted a HBAC waterbirth, but in SC HBACs are not allowed
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #5
Macyllehub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I guess I don't really understand the "not allowed" statement.

Since when did care providers chose whats allowed?

I'm sorry, but you always have a choice. Remember that you are paying that care provider. You can easily pay someone else thats more in line with your personal goals.
Expecting someone small Sept 2014
Macyllehub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macyllehub View Post
I guess I don't really understand the "not allowed" statement.

Since when did care providers chose whats allowed?

I'm sorry, but you always have a choice. Remember that you are paying that care provider. You can easily pay someone else thats more in line with your personal goals.
I guess I should rephrase. Of course you can do whatever you want - it's a free country. BUT that being said, there are no nurse midwives, or practicing licensed midwifes in SC that are allowed by law to provide a home birth or even a birthing center birth for a VBAC client. There are a few "lay" midwives who are not licensed that DO provide VBAC homebirths, but they are done "under the table" without any protection legally IF something were to happen to mother or baby during birth. That's just a risk I can't take for my family....
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
BaBaBabyMama
Registered Users
seller

Actually, I really don't have a choice - I've called all 3 hospitals around here - they only have between 0-2 tubs and they won't put me in one of those rooms b/c of the VBAC. And the one birthing center also won't take me for that reason. There is nowhere else I can go (except home but I don't feel safe with that).
Old 01-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #8
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just wanted to throw it out there that all 8 of my VBAC babies have been born at home, all waterbirths. W/ a HB you will not have to deal w/ the "not allowed" bs. Have you actually spoke w/ a HB midwife? I am betting she could address your specific concerns in regards to HB and possibliy help you get what you desire AND deserve.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
NavyMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBaBabyMama View Post
Actually, I really don't have a choice - I've called all 3 hospitals around here - they only have between 0-2 tubs and they won't put me in one of those rooms b/c of the VBAC. And the one birthing center also won't take me for that reason. There is nowhere else I can go (except home but I don't feel safe with that).
Did you ask them why you can't have a tub during a VBAC? My hospital only has 2 tubs, but I'm calling as soon as I think I'm in labor to see if I can get one of them. I'm a VBAC too, but it didn't seem like it was going to be a huge deal when I talked to the hospital and Drs.

Chances are most (if not all) of their patients have CFM and if they offer tubs they probably have wireless monitors for the mamas that get them. I would probably call and see what kind of monitoring they do while you're laboring in the tub (not mentioning you're a VBAC), and see if you can adapt that to your situation. If they say they have wireless waterproof monitors I would just ask why you couldn't use them as a VBAC.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
BaBaBabyMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post
I just wanted to throw it out there that all 8 of my VBAC babies have been born at home, all waterbirths. W/ a HB you will not have to deal w/ the "not allowed" bs. Have you actually spoke w/ a HB midwife? I am betting she could address your specific concerns in regards to HB and possibliy help you get what you desire AND deserve.
My main concern is that if there was a uterine rupture or some other complication, I am pretty far from the hospital. I know it's rare, but it is serious when it happens and being fairly far that's what makes me uncomfortable. That's awesome that you were able to have 8 at home in water!!

Last edited by BaBaBabyMama; 01-27-2010 at 03:14 PM.