Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-27-2010, 08:13 PM   #21
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: can't find VBAC waterbirth - :crying:

Things I feel/mean/am trying to say are getting twisted it seems. Sorry, I can't get it to come out right tonight... I feel VERY safe with a homebirth but only found ONE person willing to attend. I am NOT looking to blame anyone if there are complications. I fully understand and know that midwifes are VERY prepared - VERY! Like I said, I am a student midwife. HOWEVER the only person willing to attend my birth at home was VERY short with me and demanded cash payment, and that she NEVER be mentioned as my birth attended because I was a VBAC. Made me feel VERY unsettled by how she acted.

Advertisement

Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #22
cwieberdink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Red face Re: can't find VBAC waterbirth - :crying:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella08 View Post
Things I feel/mean/am trying to say are getting twisted it seems. Sorry, I can't get it to come out right tonight... I feel VERY safe with a homebirth but only found ONE person willing to attend. I am NOT looking to blame anyone if there are complications. I fully understand and know that midwifes are VERY prepared - VERY! Like I said, I am a student midwife. HOWEVER the only person willing to attend my birth at home was VERY short with me and demanded cash payment, and that she NEVER be mentioned as my birth attended because I was a VBAC. Made me feel VERY unsettled by how she acted.

I am sorry if I sounded harsh! I feel very passionately about protecting mothers rights for birth and that means protecting midwives!!! If you want to pm me with your exact location I might be able to help you. Unless the person I'm thinking of is the one you already talked to. LOL. I'm sorry if I came across poorly. I didn't mean to.
cwieberdink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:27 PM   #23
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwieberdink View Post
I am sorry if I sounded harsh! I feel very passionately about protecting mothers rights for birth and that means protecting midwives!!! If you want to pm me with your exact location I might be able to help you. Unless the person I'm thinking of is the one you already talked to. LOL. I'm sorry if I came across poorly. I didn't mean to.
Thanks mama. It's a very touchy, sensitive topic for me. My c/s was the hardest experience of my life and I have deep, deep emotional scars from it - so when I discuss VBAC/HBAC/C-S it touches a nerve and I tend to not make a ton of sense and get flustered Thankfully though, even though it will be in a hospital, I have found an amazing, amazing, amazing midwife who is VERY anti c/s and VERY pro-VBAC, so I'm feeling confident. Thank you though, I may still inquire about your recommendation though - if this VBAC goes as planned and there are no issues and we aren't forced into a repeat c/s I will be looking into a HBAC again.
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:30 PM   #24
jamiejo
Registered Users
seller

nak please excuse the poor typing

just thought id throw my two cents in i had an unmedicated hossy VBAC in nov. like you i was told in the beginning to get to the hospital early, and that i'd need to be in bed on a monitor the whole time. Not ideal. i live in an area where 98% of women have epidurals, and the big hospital actually built an entire wing just for c/sections. neither of our hospitals even have birthing tubs. they do however have jacuzzi tubs. that being said, i was a bit worried about how things would go, how i'd have to fight for the birth i wanted etc. i was monitored a lot, but they ASKED me if/when that was okay. after id been there for a little bit i labored on the ball, rocked, in the jacuzzi, on the bed etc. i was so surprised, the nurse never even mentioned drugs to me, except to say that she couldnt do what i was doing. i'm really trying to say that in my experience, they talk big at first but when it came down to it they just left me alone. my birthplan was clear, but flexible in case of emergencies. my hospital vbac was incredible. mama it IS possible in a hossy. i'm with you on the waterbirth. if theres a next time in my future thats what i want!
Old 01-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #25
mandyhoward
Registered Users

I had a HBAC attended by an unlicensed midwife. I had a lot of the same stipulations that you are talking about: she was paid in cash, I couldn't file her on the birth certificate (it looks like we had a UC), etc. It was really fine. If you didn't get on with her well that's one thing, but don't give up on the birth you want just b/c you might have to use an unlicensed MW.

In my case, I called the licensed MWs and asked if they'd attend me "under the table." None would since I had an unproven pelvis, so I asked for recommendations for unlicensed MWs. That is how I found mine. I figure if the UL MW is good enough for a recommendation from a L MW, then she's probably ok.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #26
mandyhoward
Registered Users

Oops, double post!

Last edited by mandyhoward; 01-30-2010 at 11:50 AM.
mandyhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:19 PM   #27
*Willow*
Registered Users
Formerly: MadreJoyce
seller

My Mood:

I think you have a lot of great support here. Midwives, doula's. A lot has already been covered.

Since you are happy with your MW.. I would just really explore their monitoring options. If they have a wireless water safe system, then you have a solution. Otherwise you always respectfully push for intermittant monitoring.

Best Wishes for a successful VBAC!
IT'S A GIRL! #5 Arriving Aug 2014
*Willow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:42 PM   #28
DocsNemesis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wow, I didn't realize so many hospitals didn't even have tubs in their rooms!

I was planning a homebirth but now I'm suddenly going to be in the hospital for a VBAC due to pre-e (extremely mild at this point-I failed my 24 hour urine, never had protein show up on the dipstick and my blood pressures are good-but I also had HELLP last time so I'm being very closely watched). I'm lucky though I guess because every birth room at this hospital has a jacuzzi tub-so even if they say I *have* to stay on the monitor and I *can't* go into water...lol try and stop me.

Of course, thats only if things stay as they are...I'll probably stay on the monitors if I'm sick like last time, since I'll have to be in bed anyway, and I'll probably get my first ever epidural...laboring on my back doesn't sound like fun.

www.Hyenacart.com/Naked for dyed tee's, flats, yarn, and soon, bamboo prefolds! Stocking 7/20!
DocsNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote