Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:
Talking Random Pantry Idea Challenge Game

I thought it might be fun to get some ideas going on things that we have in our pantries that we don't know what to do with. To play, I will post an ingredient in my pantry that I just don't know what to do with. If you have an idea, please post it, and then post your ingredient that you aren't sure what to do with. Hopefully we can clear out those random things that have been hanging out in our pantries.

To Start! My ingredient is Whole Wheat Couscous. I would like an idea for my toddler and myself for lunch as I don't think I can convince my husband on this one.

TIA!

Advertisement

Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Random Pantry Idea Challenge Game

I'll play!

I would cook the couscous in broth (veg or chicken) and add some sauteed veggies (peas, asparagus, broccoli). Top with fresh parmesan, maybe some cracked pepper, dill... Yummmm...

I have a can of water chestnuts. We don't do stir fries much, and I am not even sure where they came from.... LOL
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Water chestnuts are great in salads, especially chicken salad. I have used them in pea salad before, too. Yum! I have also used them in meatballs.

I have one box of wild rice I can't figure out what to do with.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
glupton
Registered Users
seller

We eat WW couscous a lot. I pretty much sub it in recipes that I would normally use rice or pasta. The last meal we used couscous was as a base for Spicy Thai chicken.

My ingredient: can of pumpkin (trying to be healthy, so not going to use it in a dessert...at least not an UNHEALTHY dessert! lol)
Old 01-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
niftysmith
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd use that wild rice with some pine nuts as a nice side dish, especially to curry/cumin-coated chicken breast.

And you could probably find some great soup recipes to use that can of pumpkin in. Yum!

I have a whole bag of frozen mixed berries in my freezer that are going to get freezer burned if I don't hurry up and use them.

letterpress printer + graphic designer open for business - my portfolio
niftysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would never have thought to put water chestnuts in salad! Yay!

Pumpkin- SOUP! Yummmm!!! I love pumpkin soup. Or muffins. Or there was a great pumpkin cookie recipe...

Frozen mixed berries- I would make muffins, layer them in a trifle, use them with yogurt and blenderize them to make yummy smoothies for breakfast.

edited to add my ingredient... LOL I have half a container of dates. I used half of it to make sticky toffee pudding at Christmas, and now have a bunch of dates left....

Last edited by Geckmumto3; 01-28-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #7
LilOutlaws
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DATES!
Apple Breakfast Bars
1 1/2 cups quick rolled oats
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup dates, chopped
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup orange juice
1 1/2 cups raw apples, shredded

Combine all ingredients. Let stand 10 minutes. Press mixture into 8" x 8" baking dish. Bake at 375? until lightly browned, about 25 minutes. Loosen with spatula, and cut into bars while warm. Serve hot for breakfast or snack **Freezes Well**

These are so much better than storebought granola or oatmeal bars!!

Let's see.. I have a frozen link of chorizo. I love southwestern stuff, but I'm not big on eggs so I'd prefer not to use it for breakfast tacos or similar.
LilOutlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

Chorizo- I haven't used it, but I wonder if you could make some kind of a southwestern Shephards pie mixing it with some of your ground beef and maybe some chopped peppers, onions, and salsa, and then top it with a cheesey mash potato concoction?

Thanks for the ideas on the Couscous- that is on the plan for next week!

Another ingredient: Heinz Chili sauce- I bought it for a Chinese CopyCat type recipe, but realized I needed a different kind of Chili sauce and didn't use it.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #9
catilina
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilOutlaws View Post
DATES!
Apple Breakfast Bars
1 1/2 cups quick rolled oats
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup dates, chopped
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup orange juice
1 1/2 cups raw apples, shredded

Combine all ingredients. Let stand 10 minutes. Press mixture into 8" x 8" baking dish. Bake at 375? until lightly browned, about 25 minutes. Loosen with spatula, and cut into bars while warm. Serve hot for breakfast or snack **Freezes Well**

These are so much better than storebought granola or oatmeal bars!!

Let's see.. I have a frozen link of chorizo. I love southwestern stuff, but I'm not big on eggs so I'd prefer not to use it for breakfast tacos or similar.
Thank you for this! I have a huge tub of dates (leftover from Christmas), too, and I had no idea what to do with them because I don't like them plain... I can't wait to try this.

I have no idea about the chorizo, though... Sorry!

i'm a bloggin' mama! Your Fire, Your Soul
catilina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
LilOutlaws
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can make those with almost anything. Last night I mixed matchsticks carrots with the apples. Used raisins, craisins, and dried apricots for add ins. Added cinnamon and vanilla...
LilOutlaws is offline   Reply With Quote