Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #21
starbuckmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Random Pantry Idea Challenge Game

Heinz chili sauce:

Meatballs!

Combine:
Chili sauce
Cranberry sauce

Pour over meatballs. Place in crock pot on low. Heat through. Yummy! Easy for last minute party or get together.

My ingredient: Arborio rice. I bought it to make Vegetable risotto but have yet to find a good recipe.

Thanks for the ideas for the couscous and the dates!

Advertisement

starbuckmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #22
hullabal98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

no idea about that rice - is it "special" rice??

agree about many ideas already posted - I put water chestnuts in my version of sweet n sour, also they're really good in salads. I personally don't like chorizo because it's too greasy and heavy for me but burritos are pretty easy. Or even mix it with scrambled eggs in breakfast tacos. I use canned pumpkin to make pumpkin bread. It's sooo good and easy too. Frozen berries - easy to make a cobbler with, trifle, smoothies, and I also put 'em in my waffle/pancake batter for a twist. Balsamic vinegar - delish with hot italian or french bread (think Macaroni Grill). My dad likes it drizzled over fried fish.

my ingredients I have no idea what to use with...

pastry/cake flour
french fried onions (other than green bean casserole)
Old 02-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #23
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullabal98 View Post
no idea about that rice - is it "special" rice??

agree about many ideas already posted - I put water chestnuts in my version of sweet n sour, also they're really good in salads. I personally don't like chorizo because it's too greasy and heavy for me but burritos are pretty easy. Or even mix it with scrambled eggs in breakfast tacos. I use canned pumpkin to make pumpkin bread. It's sooo good and easy too. Frozen berries - easy to make a cobbler with, trifle, smoothies, and I also put 'em in my waffle/pancake batter for a twist. Balsamic vinegar - delish with hot italian or french bread (think Macaroni Grill). My dad likes it drizzled over fried fish.

my ingredients I have no idea what to use with...

pastry/cake flour
french fried onions (other than green bean casserole)
you could crush up the onions with some bread crumbs or crackers and make a coating for chicken.
ittybittycoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #24
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

I have had those onions at a restaurant toasted and served over mashed potatoes....mmmmm!
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #25
apirter
Registered Users
seller

Arborio Rice: Rarebit risotto from Moosewood Simple Suppers Cookbook. REALLY GOOD!

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=197287

My ingredient: mango chutney. Got it at a dinner (2 jars) and don't know what else to do with it except put on rice...
apirter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #26
Aleta
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hmmm.... would it be good mixed in a salsa served with chips or with quesadillas? A friend of mine makes a real good mango avocado pico...

**edited to add** just googled mango chutney (because I wasn't sure exactly what it was) and saw a recipe using it as a marinade for chicken

my ingredient is plain granola - my mom bought it to mix in her yogurt when she was visiting and I have almost an entire box!

Last edited by Aleta; 02-03-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Aleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:36 AM   #27
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by apirter View Post
Arborio Rice: Rarebit risotto from Moosewood Simple Suppers Cookbook. REALLY GOOD!

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=197287

My ingredient: mango chutney. Got it at a dinner (2 jars) and don't know what else to do with it except put on rice...
I think this would be great with a toasted cheese sandwich- some thick bread, some nice cheddar, and a little bit of the chutney. Mmmmm.... I would do it on the panini grill, but if you don't have one you could do it like a regular grilled cheese. It would also be good on a grilled chicken panini sandwich- grilled chicken, maybe some smoked cheese, and the chutney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleta View Post
Hmmm.... would it be good mixed in a salsa served with chips or with quesadillas? A friend of mine makes a real good mango avocado pico...

**edited to add** just googled mango chutney (because I wasn't sure exactly what it was) and saw a recipe using it as a marinade for chicken

my ingredient is plain granola - my mom bought it to mix in her yogurt when she was visiting and I have almost an entire box!
Plain granola- how about a berry parfait? Take your mom's yogurt idea, and layer some Greek Yogurt, some frozen (semi thawed) berries, and the granola and call it breakfast or dessert. I wonder if you could also use it as a topping when you bake muffins?
Old 02-04-2010, 07:50 AM   #28
Heyheybaby83
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyheybaby83 View Post
My ingredient is balsamic vinegar. I love it, but I don't know of many recipes that have it. Any ideas?
So I actually came across a recipe for myself on accident! Someone had this to-die-for salad that used balsamic vinegar. I ate it twice yesterday and I'll eat it again today! It's so good! Field Greens with Sweet Balsamic Dressing
Heyheybaby83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #29
hullabal98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mango chutney - over cream cheese block or other soft cheese like brie and serve with crackers

granola - I know I have seen a crockpot breakfast granola oatmeal cereal type dish with berries. sounded yummy!

Last edited by hullabal98; 02-04-2010 at 09:51 AM.
hullabal98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:06 PM   #30
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mmmmm... chutney over cream cheese... I love stuff like that. Actually anything with cream cheese I like pretty well.