Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
BootyGold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ambien....whatcha think??

I haven't been sleeping for some time now and its making me miserable. Effecting all sort of things resulting in high bp

My doc prescribed Ambien today and at first, I was really glad. But now that its bedtime and I have the Rx sitting here, I'm just not sure.

Anyone have any experience?

Advertisement

Last edited by BootyGold; 01-28-2010 at 09:02 PM.
BootyGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
EveryDayIsANewDay
Registered Users
Formerly: Stacey***ke3
seller
seller

Re: Ambien....whatcha think??

Umm..if you take it...GO STRAIGHT TO BED!

I took Ambien the night after I had my DD and my nurse did not warn me of any side effects. DH left to get me food down the street the second I took the pills. I tried SO hard to stay awake...my computer monitor was "moving", the pictures, the bed felt like it was levitating, the numbers on the clock were moving...God I felt awful. I remember "seeing" a crap load of ppl in my room but I honestly don't know if I was hallucinating. SOMEONE took the baby from me, I can't remember who. DH came back so scared cause I was crying and my nurse was mean and kept saying "just go to sleep it'll stop" instead of trying to relax me. So...anyways if you take it, do not fight it, that's what causes that. Otherwise, I have never heard a bad complaint about it.
EveryDayIsANewDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
missykay
Registered Users

My Mood:

I took it 10 times during the last few weeks of my pregnancy. My doc prescribed it one day when I went for an appointment, and I was looking pretty rough. She could tell that I was hesitant so she told me that she took it at the end of all 3 of her pregnancies. It was nice to get some sleep but that Ambien is serious stuff.

I know there are other OTC sleep meds that are considered safe during pregnancy. My MW told me that melatonin and Unisom were OK. She also recommended Catnip tea. I've changed as a person since that time so I would try those things before taking the Ambien. But to set your mind at ease I had no ill effects from taking the Ambien when I was preg. with DS.
Forever missing Yuen Tien (12-9-11)
The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy. Psalm 126:3
missykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
BootyGold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been trying other stuff...just not cutting it. Once I get really overtired, I can not fall asleep nor stay asleep if I actually do manage to fall asleep

Benadryl has been good, but it wears off after a few hrs. I'm so tired I can't think straight!
Old 01-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
Apathy
Registered Users

My Mood:

as a pp said- go straight to bed. it hits a lot of people hard and fast and if you're not in bed ready to sleep.
I took it off and on during my pregnancy with my 2 year old and it was wonderful *if* I went straight to bed. Do not pass the computer, do not collect a cup of water. Take care of your business, take your pill, go lay down.
Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
elioraimmanuel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This a med I've been taking for about 4 years. I took it while BFing DS#1 and have taken it since, right through this last pg. W/o Ambien, I do not sleep. I take 5 to 10 mg/night and without it I'd have taken another trip on the PPD nightmare! Lack of sleep will make you crazy, very crazy. So, for me, it's a need. I try to keep it at 5 mg and will take other natural stuff, like Highland's Calme Forte w/it, but I do what I must to stay sane.

I feel for you, Mama. Pray about it! I do go to sleep or at least, to bed, w/i 15 mins of taking it. You can get dizzy. Do not take it if you can not get a good nights sleep because it will effect you in the a.m. Your body will adapt as you are on it. It is not addictive in the true sense, as per the top-notch, well practiced psychiatrist who 1st prescribed it. That means, you can only go up to a maximum dosage of 20 mg (although, that would knock out a horse!) and then the Ambien does the exact opposite and becomes a stimulant. If you go off of it, there will be re-bound insomnia, but this will pass. PPD will oft times re-set your sleep cycles and mine have changed dramatically. If I take the Ambien, I can sleep on a more "normal" schedule. HTH!
Old 01-28-2010, 09:56 PM   #7
kidpsych2be
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My husband was on it for a bit. He's 6'4" and I've NEVER seen anyone swerve and stumble as much as he did just minutes after taking this pill. He'd talk in his "almost passed out" state in bed and say weird things and slur. This is a man who spent every night of his life in a bar when I met him getting trashed because "that's what bachelors do" and I've never seen him this 'drunk'. So if it did that to him, I imagine you'll feel like you'd been run over by a truck.

Could be a good thing considering you're not sleeping?

Give it a try....but I agree with PP - be in bed first!
Old 01-29-2010, 06:37 AM   #8
BootyGold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone!

I chickened out last night and didn't take it Of course I slept like crap too *sigh* I'm going to be braver tonight
Old 01-29-2010, 07:18 AM   #9
MyFourStars
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've taken it and it has worked fine. I've never had the side effects other have mentioned though, that's crazy... The only time I've ever had an issue is when I was on hospital bedrest and the nurse gave me Ambien CR instead of plain Ambien. I peed the bed because I didn't wake up to "go" in the middle of the night.

My Twilight FanFic-Finding Rose *Updated Chapter 13!*
MyFourStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:23 AM   #10
mamamonkmee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

maybe i need to talk to my dr about this next week. i havent slept much this pregnancy as before i got pregnant i took my xanax to go to sleep. I'm dragging with a 4 yo and a 2 yo to chase all day.
mamamonkmee is offline   Reply With Quote