Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
cassondruh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
this is crazy... i'm preg with twins and don't want to have a c-section

i'm almost 12 wks preg with twins. apparently the doctors already know they are identical twins, after my ultrasound 3 weeks ago. they said the babies have a shared placenta, and that's how they can tell identical twins from fraternal twins this early on (???)... this was at my perinatal doctor, btw.
i have this blood clotting factor in my blood, so the doctors see me more often to check my health (since pregnancy increases my chances of getting clots).

but here's the weird thing. surgery increases my risks of getting clots too. one of the nurses a couple weeks ago mentioned i'd "need a c-section" since i am having twins and have this clotting factor in my blood.
so, i understand by having twins, my chances of having a c-section go up (as opposed to a singular birth)... but why on earth would they be telling me this early that i should have a c-section, considering i am more prone to clotting after a surgery?? i would think they would steer more toward no unnecessary surgery if it's possible (and it is possible!).

i'm just... confused, and kind of upset about it. is this going to be one of those things i'll need to argue with doctors over?
oh, and i have an ob/gyn this time around. when i was preg with my DD, i had a midwife but every appointment with the midwife i left in tears because of her comments on my weight gain. i gained 60 lbs, was really active, and was eating healthy. i did everything she told me to when it came to my diet, and still gained 60 lbs. she just was not a good match for me, and there are no other midwiferies in the area. my ob/gyn now is nice and gentle for the most part, and so far we are getting along great. if i were going to sit down and have a talk with him about no c-section, what are some good things to discuss? anyone have any resources they can share with me??

thanks!!!

Advertisement

cassondruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
elioraimmanuel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: this is crazy... i'm preg with twins and don't want to have a c-section

I've not been where you are, but I'd start w/ prayers for wisdom and guidance.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
cassondruh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thank you kelly
Old 01-28-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
Ali
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would be open and honest with your doctor about your wishes. I know the shared placenta poses extra risks, especially in terms of possible twin to twin transfusion but they will monitor you as the babies grow and if the babies seem to be in good position and there are no other health risks I don't see a reason why you couldn't opt for a natural delivery. Plus I don't think the drs can force you to do anything. A friend of mine who had twins and a shared placenta opted for a natural delivery, she ended up delivering the first one natural, but the second baby was in distress so ended up needing a C w/ the second. So I guess you should be prepared that anything can happen. Good Luck and how exciting!!!

Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
Treasures Of Mine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi Mama, Congrats! I'm also pregnant with identical twins, but have no blood clotting disorder. My OBgyn agreed to no C-section as long as the first baby was head down. He said he'd deliver that way even if baby B was breech. I don't want a CS either!

Maybe they feel they can control the bleeding better since they can seal the blood vessels? I'm not sure, but if your Dr. is great, he'll answer all your ?'s. Just don't believe everything you read, or what nurses say. Dr.s know best!

How has your pregnancy been so far? Mine's been really rough with MS and tiredness.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
Dolphin_Medic
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have no experience with twins or blood clots, but I do want to say this.

Have a conversation with your doctor about it...explain your concerns, explain your wishes, make it clear what you want. Also, listen to what their thoughts are, what the risks are for either option. I would try not to get too worried yet over what a nurse said, sometimes nurses make offhand comments without knowing the full story.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
cassondruh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
I would be open and honest with your doctor about your wishes. I know the shared placenta poses extra risks, especially in terms of possible twin to twin transfusion but they will monitor you as the babies grow and if the babies seem to be in good position and there are no other health risks I don't see a reason why you couldn't opt for a natural delivery. Plus I don't think the drs can force you to do anything. A friend of mine who had twins and a shared placenta opted for a natural delivery, she ended up delivering the first one natural, but the second baby was in distress so ended up needing a C w/ the second. So I guess you should be prepared that anything can happen. Good Luck and how exciting!!!
yeah, the perinatal doctor mentioned the risks with the twin to twin transfusion. it scares me. that and the whole vanishing twin thing. the more I read about twins, the more awe-struck I get. LOL. just everything about twins, especially identical twins, is bizarre. I feel like I'm harboring aliens in my belly sometimes. HAHA! I'm hoping and praying everything folds out just fine and all three of us are healthy throughout this experience! did anyone know why your friends second baby was in distress?? I've always wondered what happened if one baby was cozy, and the other twin was in distress. I guess the doctors don't want to mess around though, and I don't blame them!
And thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasures Of Mine View Post
Hi Mama, Congrats! I'm also pregnant with identical twins, but have no blood clotting disorder. My OBgyn agreed to no C-section as long as the first baby was head down. He said he'd deliver that way even if baby B was breech. I don't want a CS either!

Maybe they feel they can control the bleeding better since they can seal the blood vessels? I'm not sure, but if your Dr. is great, he'll answer all your ?'s. Just don't believe everything you read, or what nurses say. Dr.s know best!

How has your pregnancy been so far? Mine's been really rough with MS and tiredness.
Woohoo, another identical twin momma!! And you have a male Ob/gyn too! LOL, I was kind of weirded out about having a male ob/gyn at first, but I got over it real fast. That's a good plan to have with the first baby being heads down. Did he explain what the process would look like if the second baby was breech??
That's a good point, if they can seal the blood vessels and monitor my "cuts" and clotting during my hospital stay, I guess I can understand them wanting to do a c-section. I'm still not happy about it. You know what scares me the most?? Knowing that I'll have something in my spine I think that's what scares me the most about a c-section. Is that weird? When I was laboring with my DD, I never got an epidural because the thought of having something in my spine was a far greater fear than labor pains ever were! And labor wasn't bad with my DD at all! Unmedicated and no interventions. I guess I have wishful thinking for this pregnancy, that it will go as well as my pg with my DD. LOL... even with two babies inside!

So far my pg has been OK! I never had MS with my DD, but this time around I have this faint "perma-nausea" and NOTHING tastes good to me. everything tastes bland and bleh, but it's not enough to give that "sick" feeling, thank goodness! But yeah, I feel ya on the tiredness. WHen I found out I was pg, I was wondering why I was always feeling SO tired. I had just started a 40 hr/wk job as a preschool teacher and associated the new job with being tired. then during my first ob/gyn appt we found out it was twins and I thought "WOW, that makes a lot of sense to me!" LOL
I can't say it's been too easy mentally. I was not prepared for twins, let alone being pg. (a happy accident). I only planned on having 1 more child after my DD, but it looks like I got a 2 for 1 deal I'm still trying to enjoy my pg, but the people around me are making it hard. I guess thats where the mental difficulty comes in. My extended family is worried about finances and the economy and they like to remind me of how bad it is, or they try to freak me out about not being able to handle twins. *sigh* silly stuff like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin_Medic View Post
I have no experience with twins or blood clots, but I do want to say this.

Have a conversation with your doctor about it...explain your concerns, explain your wishes, make it clear what you want. Also, listen to what their thoughts are, what the risks are for either option. I would try not to get too worried yet over what a nurse said, sometimes nurses make offhand comments without knowing the full story.

aww, thank you. reading this was helpful and reassuring. that's a good idea to listen to my docs thoughts on either option. I'm a pretty stubborn person when it comes to certain things, but I guess it's time for me to be more open-minded and let stuff sink in for a while before I open my mouth... I think my doc would appreciate that too,
Old 01-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
cassondruh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Kati, how far along are you with your twins? I forgot to ask!
Old 01-28-2010, 10:45 PM   #9
Sparklebug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not feeling well and about to sign off, but saw this and wanted to respond quick (hope I make sense, my head's a lil loopy tonight ).

It looks like you're in the Willamette Valley? You mentioned you're seeing an ob because of your experience with your mw last time (definitely sounds like she wasn't a good match for you.). There are a ton of midwives throughout the valley area if you were interested in trying to go that route again. There are some mamas on here (myself included) who I'm sure could rec'd someone if you were interested. Just wanted to throw that out there

Sparklebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #10
Treasures Of Mine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm 17.5 weeks As for people, tell them to shut up! This makes 7 + 8 for me! But honestly, I have people tell me I CAN do it, more than I can't. I'm the one that needs convincing I'm so tired all the time, I wonder if I can do it with two more! But God is my strength, and He knows!

My Dr. just said that once the cervix opens for baby 1, its easier to deliver a breach baby then...the only thing I'm worried about is laboring for one, then having to have a CS for # 2 if he's in distress, I'd rather have one or the other, NOT both! So I'm still deciding, and will probably wait till the end to finalize it. But with identicals, they tend to take you early because they are sharing the same placenta, and it can demise quicker because of the demand of two babies on it, so I heard that 34-36 weeks is the longest they'll let me go.

Are yours in the same sac? Mine were in the same sac, sharing a yolk sack early on, so they told me they were 95% mono-mono. Talk about a scary month till I had my next US at my Perinatotologist. He was able to find a thin (VERY thin) membrane separating them so I have no worries of cord entaglement. I prayed so hard that month that a membrane would grow! The Dr.s still say they don't know how the "Missed" it, but I say they didn't it wasn't there, but God grew it! All the research says that twins who share a yolk sack will be mono-mono...so I have the ultrasound to prove there was one yolk sack, and NO membrane. I still believe in a miracle working God!

Anyways, you are blessed with an easy twin pregnancy then! I almost had to be hospitilized with IV fluids, I was that sick...thank God that part is over, now I'm just tired, and have horrible heartburn and headaches. But they will be worth it all!

when's your next appointment?