Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
WhiteRockMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
VBAC Question

I just got back from my first apt with my GP re: my second pregnancy. When I gave birth to DD over a year ago I was in labour for 32 hours before being given a c-section (I wasnt dilating). The OB that did the c-section advised me afterward that I would never had a vaginal birth (I dont remember why, my GP is going to review my birth notes to see).

Today my Dr told me that its impossible to tell if a woman will be able to deliver vaginally a second time if she wasnt able to the first time. She let me know that its up to me to decide if I want to try a VBAC or schedule a c.

I had never considered a VBAC until today as I was told I couldnt and now its all I want. Hearing other women's vaginal, no pain meds birth stories makes me incredibly jealous that I may never experience that. I dont know if I would be able to do it sans meds but the recovery from a c is not fun.

Has anyone been told they couldnt do it and had a successful VBAC? I HATED labour and was exhausted afterward which I partially blame my severe baby blues on. I DO NOT want to go through all that again just to be given another c-section.

Please tell me you stories!

Advertisement

WhiteRockMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
rainydaysunshine
Registered Users
seller

Re: VBAC Question

I don't have any advice, but there is a thread under Labor/ Delivery/ Postpartum Questions called "I wish there was a VBAC board" and I am sure those ladies can help you. Congrats on your LO .
rainydaysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
NavyMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm planning on a VBAC with this LO. When you were in labor before were you induced or did you go into labor on your own? If you were induced I would be inclined to say your baby and your body probably weren't ready, because if you're not ready sometimes even the best induction methods won't work. If you went into labor on your own then who knows what happened, but every pregnancy / labor / delivery is different and there's no reason you couldn't at least get a trial of labor for this baby.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
mrsgrantis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a similar experience with my first labour experience.
I wish I could offer advice, but I am also feeling very conflicted! I was SOOOO exhausted after 40 hours of natral labour then A c-section that I feel like alot of my baby blues and our BF'ing problems were mainly do to sheer exhaustion. So this time I'm wondering how I would ever survive doidn that again, then coming home to a toddler as well.
Sometimes when I think I've made up my mind I change it again.
DH ay we should let the baby decide, Lol!
GL!
Old 01-29-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
phantomriver
Registered Users

My Mood:

How one dilates often relates to the baby's presentation. So if the head is not pressing right on your cervix you might not dilate. My DS was ascynclitic. I doubt I would have been even told this I wasn't a nurse and my mom is an L&D nurse as well. Sometimes maneuvers will fix this but in my case no luck. My doctor brought up TOL before I even asked and thought in my case it would be worth it as we want a big family. I doubt she would waste her time if she didn't think there was a decent chance--she will come in for me regardless of her call schedule, etc.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
Sally's Red Meadow
Registered Users
josycat
seller

My Mood:

Try the ican website for success stories or a support group in your area.
Sally's Red Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
Kaboom
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomriver View Post
How one dilates often relates to the baby's presentation. So if the head is not pressing right on your cervix you might not dilate. My DS was ascynclitic. I doubt I would have been even told this I wasn't a nurse and my mom is an L&D nurse as well. Sometimes maneuvers will fix this but in my case no luck. My doctor brought up TOL before I even asked and thought in my case it would be worth it as we want a big family. I doubt she would waste her time if she didn't think there was a decent chance--she will come in for me regardless of her call schedule, etc.
They sectioned you because your ds was asynclitic?? Or did you successfully birth vaginally? I just can't even imagine offering a c-section because of something like that... that's just crazy to me!

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
phantomriver
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinMartin View Post
They sectioned you because your ds was asynclitic?? Or did you successfully birth vaginally? I just can't even imagine offering a c-section because of something like that... that's just crazy to me!
It was over 24hrs of no progress/no real contractions with water broken. All the maneuvers wouldn't straighten him out. I had recently had a friend who's baby died of GBS sepsis shortly before(not that it was quite the same circumstances but it was a long labor) so I was paranoid at the time even though I probably could have pushed for time. DS had almost a 15" head ascynclitic and his head was tipped toward one ear so he wasn't pressing correctly on my cervix--more into the side of my pelvis than down on my cervix. This pregnancy I plan to go to a chiro later on too to help with positioning. All I can say is we live and learn and do the best we can with what we have at the time.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:57 PM   #9
*Willow*
Registered Users
Formerly: MadreJoyce
seller

My Mood:

A lot of doctors really have no medical basis to say you will never VBAC. While there are certain cirumstances a VBAC isn't a good choice, there are definately more often times a VBAC is just fine and successful with the right, trained, birth team.

Good Luck!
IT'S A GIRL! #5 Arriving Aug 2014
*Willow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:51 AM   #10
WhiteRockMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for advice ladies. I still have no idea what to do (I have lots of time though). I will talk with my doc and probably an OB to get a better understanding of everything.

WhiteRockMom is offline   Reply With Quote