Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2010, 05:49 PM   #11
JKLmama
Registered
Formely: monstersmom
seller

My Mood:
Re: BRU 'Great Trade-In Event'

I traded
1 broken stroller
1 high chair (found by dumpster)
1 carseat
1 bassinet purchased at a yard sale for $5

got

2 Graco snug ride 35's
1 contours tandem stroller
1 Graco sweetpeace swing

Plan on finding other items like the $5 bassinet at next weeks yard sale and trading them for 2 high chairs, pack n play, and maybe just maybe 2 Graco My ride's for the twins later

THIS IS SO AWESOME

Advertisement

WELCOME TO THE WORLD BOWEN PIERCE our little Leap baby 2/29
JKLmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:01 PM   #12
4kkz
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm confused, it's only 25% off right?
no circ:babywearing, organic And step mom to Sarah & Rachel
4kkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #13
tutumom
Registered Users

My Mood:

yes.

I was hoping to buy a car seat through the trade in, but the model I'm looking for is only available online, not in the store. The trade-in event is only good in stores : (
tutumom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:49 AM   #14
Everywhere
Registered Users

Ok, so what do you girls think about this:

I have 2 things I want to trade in- a pack n play that is 4 yrs old and I don't really want to sell it because it's in poor condition (dirty, doesn't feel stable anymore) and a 2 yr old carseat that I have that I know is recalled and I don't really feel like ordering the repair kit for it and fixing it to *try* to sell it on craiglist to get maybe $20 out of it (low population area so not a lot of ppl on CL)

BUT, the carseat that I want and the play yard that I want are only available online from BRU.

What do you guys think about, trading the things at my local BRU and picking out some random replacements for them (of similar price to what I want to get)

Then the next week, I return my trade-ins and get a refund for them, then use my refund to buy the products online from BRU.

Is that scammerish or unethical? The money is still being spent at BRU... And do you think they would give me back my full refund, or do you think they would take off the discount I got? (which I don't see how they could do that if they already took my trade in's and destroyed them or whatever...)
*ETA- so like, say I took my carseat in and picked out a new carseat that was $150. With the discount, I would get $38 off, so I would pay $112.
If I returned it, would I get back the full price of the seat ($150) since they did take my other seat that I no longer have, or do you think they would only give me back the $112 and say "sorry, you'll just have to eat it and lose your seat you traded in." ??

What do you guys think? I could just be crazy, but it was just a thought

Last edited by Everywhere; 02-04-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Everywhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #15
Apathy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everywhere View Post
*ETA- so like, say I took my carseat in and picked out a new carseat that was $150. With the discount, I would get $38 off, so I would pay $112.
If I returned it, would I get back the full price of the seat ($150) since they did take my other seat that I no longer have, or do you think they would only give me back the $112 and say "sorry, you'll just have to eat it and lose your seat you traded in." ??

What do you guys think? I could just be crazy, but it was just a thought
Every store I've read return policies on has said that if you buy an item at discounted price, you only get the price you paid (so the $112 for the car seat) back when returning. It would show the discount on the receipt (both in the tally and total) and that's what you'd get, or people would be doing this all the time to make money.
Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #16
Everywhere
Registered Users

Oh I totally get what you mean about if people were just returning something that had a discounted price. You should only be returned what you paid for the item, of course.

However, I was thinking there might be a slight chance this would be treated differently, since they essentially "bought" your seat from you, and you wouldn't get the value of your seat back if you returned it. So if they only gave you the $112 back, you wouldn't be getting back everything you "paid" since you gave them your carseat + the $112. Does that make sense? If you returned it a week later and only got $112 back, they are really "keeping" $38 to themselves and not giving it "back" to you. Hope that makes sense.

You are probably still right, and they wouldn't give you the value of your carseat back as well....I was just thinking that since this situation is different than just a simple "discount" and more of a "trade" that there would be a slight chance they would give you the entire value of what you traded for the item being returned.

Wishful thinking, I suppose.

I was just really looking for a way I could be able to participate in this trade thing. We don't actually have a BRU, just a TRU with some baby stuff inside, and there is NO selection. A graco snugride as the only infant seat, and no double strollers at all to choose from

Last edited by Everywhere; 02-04-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #17
amberpayne27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everywhere View Post
Oh I totally get what you mean about if people were just returning something that had a discounted price. You should only be returned what you paid for the item, of course.

However, I was thinking there might be a slight chance this would be treated differently, since they essentially "bought" your seat from you, and you wouldn't get the value of your seat back if you returned it. So if they only gave you the $112 back, you wouldn't be getting back everything you "paid" since you gave them your carseat + the $112. Does that make sense? If you returned it a week later and only got $112 back, they are really "keeping" $38 to themselves and not giving it "back" to you. Hope that makes sense.

You are probably still right, and they wouldn't give you the value of your carseat back as well....I was just thinking that since this situation is different than just a simple "discount" and more of a "trade" that there would be a slight chance they would give you the entire value of what you traded for the item being returned.

Wishful thinking, I suppose.

I was just really looking for a way I could be able to participate in this trade thing. We don't actually have a BRU, just a TRU with some baby stuff inside, and there is NO selection. A graco snugride as the only infant seat, and no double strollers at all to choose from
When you go and trade something in, you take it to customer service (we did it with a high chair). They then print out a 25% off coupon for you. You go in the store, pick out your item, go to the register, and present your 25% off coupon. So, it's as if you had a 10% off coupon that you printed online or something. If you return it, you get back what you paid for it. Now, if you wanted to exchange it for something in store (which we will be doing because the high chair we bought has a warning label on it that says, "contains lead." ), they would probably give you your money back then another 25% off coupon so you could go pick out another item. So, the high chair we bought was $99.99, but we paid $80.99. So, we'll get back $80.99 and a coupon for 25% to pick out something else, more than likely.
Jesus lovin' wife to my 3rd grade sweetie and Homeschooling mama to my funny little 5 year old diva, Kelsie ,Stella Mae, my 2 year old wild child and Judah Jenkins, our sweet miracle rainbow baby born 11/3/12
Missing our tiny love bugs 6/11, 4w4d and 10/11, 9w1d
amberpayne27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #18
Everywhere
Registered Users

Oh ok, that makes sense. And they would probably give you another 25% that had to be used "in store"

I wonder if I looked really hard, if I could just find a 25% coupon from somewhere that CAN be used online.

Thanks for the input ladies!
Old 02-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #19
Kaboom
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
seller

My Mood:

Here's a thought too, something I'm considering. Trade in your item, buy another item (that you don't want to keep) at 25% off. Sell that item someplace else for what the MSRP is. Take the money from the sale and go buy something that you DO want.

I want the Radian XTSL car seat, but it's online only, so I've been thinking of buying a different, well selling seat that will be easy to re-sell, and then taking the money and buying my XTSL.

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:19 PM   #20
jo_mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hello ladies!

I happen to work at BRU, so this "trade-in event" has been oh so exciting for me.

Most of what I've seen mentioned on this thread is correct. You bring in any old car seat, crib, bassinet, stroller, high chair, play yard, travel system (although if you bring in a whole travel system you could separate the pieces for multiple coupons) and you will receive a 25% coupon for that day to use on an item from the above list, as long as it is from a participating brand.

It is only for in-store items, but you can use the coupon on a crib that we don't keep in stock. You just use your coupon when paying on the day you order.

The return policy at bru is pretty strict, and if you use a 25% off coupon on any item you will only be able to get the purchase price back from it. Even if you are trying to exchange the item it is likely that you would have to make the exchange before Feb. 20 to make an even swap. And it has to be an even swap - same item in a different color or something like that.

We do NOT give out replacement coupons, ever. Once you use it it's gone.

If the item you are wanting is out of stock I would suggest you speak (kindly and calmly) to a manager. It's possible that they could extend the valid date of the coupon if the item is going to be in stock soon, or another store might have the item. We have run into this problem a bit with the 10% off coupons you get after you have a baby to buy the remaining items on your baby registry - that we will not have all the items in stock and it's a one-time-use in-store coupon. We do our best to make it right.

Last edited by jo_mama; 02-06-2010 at 12:25 PM. Reason: forgot to add . . .
jo_mama is offline   Reply With Quote