Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
ashliemh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How far would you drive for a midwife?

First let me just say that I am not pregnant. However, my husband changed jobs recently and our insurance changed, and I cannot go to my OB practice anymore because they don't take our insurance. I have always kind of thought in the back of my mind that I would like to try a less traditional route when I have my next baby, but had kind of put off checking into things because, like I said before, I am not pregnant. Well, when our insurance changed I started looking into things, and there isn't really anything close that offers what I am looking for. I did however find a place about an hour and a half to two hours away that sounds like it could be perfect. The practice is a combination of OB's and CNM's, but you can choose to see the CNM only if you want to. I like the idea of having that option, but also of having the OB there if there are any complications. I had complications/bedrest/low fluid with my first, so I like having the OB handy if I should need them. That being said, my first two experiences were just not what I wish they would have been. With my first I just blame it on ignorance, and with the second I had an ogre of a nurse. She actually told that I wasn't in pain with contractions every 2-3 min and and 6-7cm dilated. Grrrr... Anyhow, I really want to have the next time be what I want. I want to be allowed to walk, or get in the shower, or even have a water birth if that is what I choose. I guess I just want to have a choice. So my question is, do you think that it is completely ridiculous to drive 1.5-2 hrs to go to a midwife? And please, be brutally honest! I really want opinions from other mama's! Thanks in advance

Advertisement

ashliemh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How far would you drive for a midwife?

I wouldn't do it. But, I know others would. I would look around for an OB who is less into interventions and more naturally (and open) minded. They are around. I have one for this set of twins. However, having said that, the practice I go to does just happen to be an OB and a midwife who work together. I choose the practice because of the OB though, not the midwife. But, I really like her and like having her around too. I'm pregnant with twins and she told me, she is going to be there through my whole labor/delivery, epi or not, c-sec or not. She may deliver baby A, but won't deliver both. The OB will be there at that point too. I'm excited about that. But, I wouldn't drive that far to go to them. They are 10 - 15 minutes from me and literally in the a building connected to the hospital where I will deliver.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
Kaboom
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
seller

My Mood:

I drive 1 hour (one way) to get to my midwife, I love her I may have had to reconsider if she was 2 hours away... I probably would still do the 1 1/2 hours if there was absolutely nobody else I felt comfortable with. I have several midwifes in my immediate area, but they either turned me down (weren't comfortable with my requests), or were full.

My situation is slightly different though (I think) because I birth at home. If you are planning an out of hospital birth, and are set on it, and can afford travel and other out of pocket expenses, and it's important to you, then I don't think 2 hours is too far I would happily drive 2 hours if it meant the only difference between a hospital and out-of-hospital birth.

If you are planning a hospital birth, you may feel differently.

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
missdawn25
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I drive an hour to see mine, the only ones in the area that deliver babies.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
ashliemh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mama's for your honest replies. Although I wouldn't wish a long drive on anyone, it is nice to know that others do drive a bit to get what they want

Heather, congrats on your twins! That must be so exciting! My husband is a twin and I know he would be over the moon if we were ever blessed with twins
Old 01-30-2010, 06:28 PM   #6
wiredpsyche
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We drove an hour to see a midwife only practice (there weren't any combined ones any closer) and I honestly wouldn't do it again. Why not? I'm one of those women "blessed" with precipitous labor... and I delivered 14 minutes (yes, fourteen) after arriving. The midwives were even less prepared than me (which is saying a lot since it was my first child)!

Now, not to knock midwifery, but they also told me to STAY HOME when I called the third time saying I really thought I should be on my way. With a normal non-precipitous labor I guess this would have been the right suggestion, but my labor lasted 2 hours and 45 minutes from when my water broke (2h30m from first contraction) and we were an hour away. If I hadn't finally trusted myself and told the family to get me in the car I would have given birth in the car on the way...

So, next time I'm homebirthing it. They say your second labor is half as long and there's no way I'd coordinate a ride in that short time.
wiredpsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
ashliemh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredpsyche View Post
We drove an hour to see a midwife only practice (there weren't any combined ones any closer) and I honestly wouldn't do it again. Why not? I'm one of those women "blessed" with precipitous labor... and I delivered 14 minutes (yes, fourteen) after arriving. The midwives were even less prepared than me (which is saying a lot since it was my first child)!

Now, not to knock midwifery, but they also told me to STAY HOME when I called the third time saying I really thought I should be on my way. With a normal non-precipitous labor I guess this would have been the right suggestion, but my labor lasted 2 hours and 45 minutes from when my water broke (2h30m from first contraction) and we were an hour away. If I hadn't finally trusted myself and told the family to get me in the car I would have given birth in the car on the way...

So, next time I'm homebirthing it. They say your second labor is half as long and there's no way I'd coordinate a ride in that short time.
WOW!! That is crazy fast! I have thought about home birth, but my DH says NO WAY!! And its illegal where I live to have a CNM attended home birth. So that kind of takes that option off the table. Aside from the being told to stay home, did you otherwise like your experience with the midwife?
Old 01-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #8
cwieberdink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashliemh View Post
WOW!! That is crazy fast! I have thought about home birth, but my DH says NO WAY!! And its illegal where I live to have a CNM attended home birth. So that kind of takes that option off the table. Aside from the being told to stay home, did you otherwise like your experience with the midwife?
Not really It is not illegal for the PARENTS to have a homebirth in any state. It is illegal for the midwife to attend them in some states. CNMs are legal in all 50 states, although some states require them to have dr. backup in writing, which can limit their practice. I am sure though, wherever you are, there are CPMs that are practicing underground.

I drive 2 hours in one direction to see my midwife, who is a CPM. I have many times had clients drive 1.5 hours to get to me (and then I drive 1.5 hours to their birth)

If my baby was breech and my midwife wouldn't attend me, I would drive either to the major city where there is ONE doc who will do it (almost 3 hours) or I would drive to The Farm (7 hours and I"d go well before labor) instead of having a section.
cwieberdink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
jubethone
Registered Users
seller
seller

I drive an hour one way to see midwives who I feel comfortable with and to give birth at a birth center.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #10
ashliemh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the clarificationd Christine!