Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2010, 04:26 AM   #31
Ivette
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How far would you drive for a midwife?

I will never ever have a hospital birth again!, too many interventions!, my midwife and i would share home visits most of the time she would come over my house but if i needed to drive to hers it was about 1hr to her about 45 minutes back to my home during bad weather she would come to me, i already had other kids under 3 so she would make the effort to see me at my home including others on tuesdays........God Bless her!

Advertisement

Ivette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:06 PM   #32
ashliemh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Again, I just want to say thanks to everyone for your responses and opinions. It helps to know that there are other like minded mama's out there!

My next task is convincing my husband that it is a good idea/doable When I brought it up the other night he said "absolutely not." Ugh! I am going to keep working on him though, because after all, I am the one that will be having the baby (although I guess he will have helped too )

Thanks again mama's! You all rock!
ashliemh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:29 AM   #33
wiredpsyche
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmmm, that's a good question. I'd have to say both yes and no.

Yes
-The atmosphere was comfortable and homey.
-I didn't have to argue about no-vax, no eye goop, rooming in, breastfeeding immediately, no pitocin, etc. Actually, I didn't have to argue period. That was really nice because I don't think I would have had the energy to.
-No IV!!!!
-Being allowed to eat was a cool idea but I had NO appetite.
-It was nice to be sent home pretty fast.

No
-It was not nice to not be allowed to deliver in squatting position like I wanted to because they didn't have the floor futon ready. I was even madder when they didn't GET it ready right away. I shoulda just got the damn thing bloody. Not my fault they weren't prepared.
-It was not nice to not get the hot compresses and perineal massage I was told I'd get to prevent tearing. I totally get the hot water not boiling fast enough, but they couldn't get the olive oil??
-It was not nice to not be stitched up immediately because I didn't want to eat anything right away (I had a labia tear which healed... not so great - then again, I heal faster than most people so another thing I dunno if I can fault them on that either)
-It was not nice to be hurried to get into the shower - they only had two rooms where I delivered and one filled up shortly after I birthed with a woman not yet in labor (but with a history of precipitous labor). I nearly passed out from being made to stand to quickly and the hard jets of water on my skin.
-It was not nice that since I had already delivered, previously mentioned not-in-labor woman got the say in temperature (I got to freeze because it was too hot in there for her).

So, vs a hospital, I have to say overall YES for lack of argument. As for overall standard of care and preparation? No... they wern't ready. Then again, they didn't have much time to get ready. Its not like they weren't ready after 15 hours of me laboring... Do I think this reflects on all midwives? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashliemh View Post
Aside from the being told to stay home, did you otherwise like your experience with the midwife?
wiredpsyche is offline   Reply With Quote