Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2010, 08:05 AM   #1
NavyHSwife
Registered Users

My Mood:
Question diapering LARGE thighs?

baby is 7 months old and my chunkalunk. She's got 14" thighs.

We have some BGOS which fit fine, but they're not my "go-to diaper" really. Never quite found full-on love for them. Now that she's sitting much of the time they also are prone to poo blow-outs in the back. *sigh*

We have BG Organics too, which are more "go-to" than the BGOS, but also tend to have poo blow-outs in the back when sitting. And, as she's starting to sometimes not be so content with laying there nicely while mama changes her, the snaps to fasten them, well, they can be troublesome when you're trying to hurry! (She's on thigh snaps 2nd from the largest, and tummy snaps 3rd from the largest)

We have a small stash (whites and coloreds) of MEOS which THANK GOODNESS seem to manage to contain any potential poo blow-outs so far! I'm able to use these strategically during the day and usually time them with her pooing schedule so that is good. However, again, the snaps sometimes don't make for easy changes when baby is trying to roll away and go exploring. BTW, I find the colored MEOS to be smaller than the white ones! Struck me as odd. But the snaps we use are on larger settings than those on the whites. Hmmmm

Additionally, while i'm happy with the poo containment of them, the covers (have ME AIRFLOW as well as a RIKKI WRAP) aren't to my liking. I LOVE the ease of use of the Rikki Wrap but i don't like how high up it goes on the tummy. Makes for a bit of a stiff tummy area which isn't very fun for baby trying to bend at the waist when going from sitting position to laying on tummy. And the Airflow covers, again with the snaps... and the M/L size really isn't a very good fit for her anyhow.

ALL THIS TO SAY *sigh*.... what's out there that comfortably FIT a chunkalunk with currently 14" thighs, that contain poos, have Aplix preferrably although overall FIT is most important so would do snaps if necessary.

Please link to the brands/styles you mention please, if possible. thanks!

Advertisement

~~~ Angi--due with #4 April 2013!!!
wife to a SUPER FINE Navy Chief; Homeschooling mama to 15yoDD, mama & pal to 3yoDD, mom to 21yoDS.

NavyHSwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: diapering LARGE thighs?

we have the same problem for covers as you do with the constriction at the waist. dd can't have anything holding her back cause she has such low muscle tone to begin with anything stiff at her waist/hips and she can't sit up right.

for covers i would suggest dappi pull on pants. seriously. give them a shot. $5 for 2 pair won't hurt you if you don't like them, and i can take them off your hands in that case. there is NO constriction at the waist and i don't think we would be able to CD without them. they are so easy to use, BULLETPROOF no leaks at all no way no how never ever even with runny poo blowouts. never. i know they aren't that cute but the fact that they are such amazing covers outweighs the lack of cuteness. plus you won't find a cover less bulky. its like NOTHING.

for diapers the only thing i would suggest is side snapping so that you can adjust the thighs seperately from the waist. and the BGs aren't the same not nearly as adjustable as a SS dipe. if you like ME you should try sandys. i am hoping to try some but no one is answering my ISO!!! lol

i am trying dream-eze for AIOs right now they are OTW. they seem trimmer between the legs and that is what my dd need for her tone issues as well. plus they are side snapping which is a must have. i hate front fastening dipes for the wing droop and lack of adjustability.

i hate bgs. the organic soakers are very nice but i really dislike the cut and of course the front fastening. i have both snaps and aplix and they both suck for us.

good luck!
Old 02-01-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
aLittleBouncingSoul
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was going to suggest side snapping dipes too. With side snapping, you can adjust the waist and legs seperately to get a better fit.
aLittleBouncingSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
mama2ma_ks_km
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thirsties Duo size 2 covers work best for my LO...sounds just like yours! I have WAHM made pocket dipes, and I just can't get them on her right now due to those chunky thighs! At 8 mos, she is 19.5 lbs! LOL!
mama2ma_ks_km is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
NavyHSwife
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post
we have the same problem for covers as you do with the constriction at the waist. dd can't have anything holding her back cause she has such low muscle tone to begin with anything stiff at her waist/hips and she can't sit up right.
awwww.
it's a "fold in half" issue for my not-so-little-one. LOL in fact, i had the Rikki Wrap on her just this morning and took it off and put some other cover on it (no tags on it, no clue what it is)... she was NOT happy with the Rikki on, as she could barely lean forward enough to get herself out of the sitting position! so off it came!

Quote:
for covers i would suggest dappi pull on pants. seriously. give them a shot. $5 for 2 pair won't hurt you if you don't like them, and i can take them off your hands in that case. there is NO constriction at the waist and i don't think we would be able to CD without them.
hmmmm ya know, those are sounding VERY familiar. I THINK i used those with my now 12yo DD back in her cloth diapering days. Where's a good place to get them?? I'll have to dig around on the net at naptime i think.

Quote:
if you like ME you should try sandys. i am hoping to try some but no one is answering my ISO!!! lol

I had sandys with my aforementioned 12yo DD back in the day. She wasn't nearly as "blessed in the thigh region" as my baby girl is now though. Might have to buy a couple to try on this girlie. Thanks for the reminder about those.

Quote:
i hate bgs. the organic soakers are very nice but i really dislike the cut and of course the front fastening. i have both snaps and aplix and they both suck for us.
I'd like the aplix adjustability just fine if the inner layer of the diaper would stay pulled up and give some buffer above the aplix tummy piece. As it is, every single one of ours pull down thus making the aplix rub the tummy. Well, there's the whole poo problem, too- so i guess that's a moot point anyway. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2ma_ks_km View Post
Thirsties Duo size 2 covers work best for my LO...sounds just like yours! I have WAHM made pocket dipes, and I just can't get them on her right now due to those chunky thighs! At 8 mos, she is 19.5 lbs! LOL!

Hmmmm i'll have to look into those as well. Not familiar with that brand at all.
My daughter turned 7 months on the 24th of January and at her 6 mos. appt was already over 22.5#! haven't weighed her since, but she sure isn't LOSING any weight!!LOL

okay, off to see what i can dig up on the internet while she's content at my feet and eyeballing me.
wife to a SUPER FINE Navy Chief; Homeschooling mama to 15yoDD, mama & pal to 3yoDD, mom to 21yoDS.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:34 AM   #6
novibean
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aLittleBouncingSoul View Post
I was going to suggest side snapping dipes too. With side snapping, you can adjust the waist and legs seperately to get a better fit.
Side snapping diapers are GREAT for little ones with chunky thighs

novibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:42 AM   #7
NavyHSwife
Registered Users

My Mood:

well looked at the thirsties duo 2 and have decided (for now) not to try those. the thigh szie range only seemed to go up to 14" anyway.

did get 2 packs (1 M, 1L) of dappi pants
got one size 2 sandy to try out and went ahead and got a L MEAIO as well since i was buying there anyway. LOL

we'll see how it goes.

baby naptime now!

Old 02-01-2010, 09:43 AM   #8
KumfyKozies
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Somewhere underneath my yarn and fabric hoard in the US of A
My Mood:

Both my kiddos had chunker thighs. I had to have our woolies either custom knit, or do them myself, purely due to having enough room with the thighs.
OS diapers don't work for us. They just don't Awful red marks, welts, raw patches, etc. My poor babies.
The only thing that truly was great for us, was PFs with wool.
KumfyKozies™- Etsy Shop
KumfyKozies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:45 AM   #9
learning2Bmama
Registered Users
seller

Where do you find side snapping covers?
learning2Bmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:50 AM   #10
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had to create a daiper to accomadate my chunky monkeys! My 2 YO could wear a CB comfortably around the waist, but her thighs were so large that I couldn't even get it snapped on any setting. My 3 month old has been wearing them since 4 weeks old (wide waist, small thighs) they work well on both with no red marks. we have those and some self made trainers. Nothing else is working well for us