Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #11
b'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: stupid question? Seller asks Buyer to cover PP fees?

Further on, it reads:

"For Purchase Payments, the recipient of the payment will always pay the fee."

And if I paid mo or cheque or cash, you wouldn't charge me that fee, but if I paid Paypal you would-that is a surcharge that you are charging that is higher than a non-paypal transaction. Therefore, against policies. The way around it is to incorporate the fee into your price, and then you are charging everyone the same amount. And that is allowed.

Either way, as per Diaperswappers rules, you aren't supposed to pass the fees on to the buyer.

Advertisement

b'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:02 PM   #12
blesdfish
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuthGuru View Post
maybe FFS should be renamed FFFS (free for fees and shipping)!
I like!
Old 02-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #13
CarrieMeredith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, it does say that--it's true that paypal charges the fee to the recipient's account. But it does not say anything about not passing that fee on to the buyer.

You're still confusing "surcharge" with "paypal's fee". It is paypal's fee that I'm passing on to the buyer--not a surcharge in order to use paypal. If you would just call and talk to multiple employee's at paypal I'm sure they could help you see the difference. I was just as confused as you were at one time--which is why I'm one of the few who actually called paypal to get it explained me directly from the horse's mouth.
CarrieMeredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #14
chickenmonkeybaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuthGuru View Post
oh but wait- in a ffs couldn't payment be sent as service (and therefore have no fees associated with it) since you're just paying for them to ship- not paying for goods?
No because when you do that you don't get their address info and they don't get Paypal buyer protection.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #15
chickenmonkeybaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by b'smom View Post
Further on, it reads:

"For Purchase Payments, the recipient of the payment will always pay the fee."

And if I paid mo or cheque or cash, you wouldn't charge me that fee, but if I paid Paypal you would-that is a surcharge that you are charging that is higher than a non-paypal transaction. Therefore, against policies. The way around it is to incorporate the fee into your price, and then you are charging everyone the same amount. And that is allowed.

Either way, as per Diaperswappers rules, you aren't supposed to pass the fees on to the buyer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMeredith View Post
Yes, it does say that--it's true that paypal charges the fee to the recipient's account. But it does not say anything about not passing that fee on to the buyer.

You're still confusing "surcharge" with "paypal's fee". It is paypal's fee that I'm passing on to the buyer--not a surcharge in order to use paypal. If you would just call and talk to multiple employee's at paypal I'm sure they could help you see the difference. I was just as confused as you were at one time--which is why I'm one of the few who actually called paypal to get it explained me directly from the horse's mouth.
You are both saying the same thing.

Per DS rules, you can not ask the buyer to cover your fees in addition to the PPD price listed. Per Paypal rules, you can not ask a buyer to pay fees incurred by using Paypal that are additional to the item price listed.

You have to build fees into the cost of your listing by charging enough; then it is not a surcharge, it is overhead and is figured into the selling price. Any fee charged above the listing price is a surcharge.

Last edited by chickenmonkeybaby; 02-02-2010 at 09:34 AM.
chickenmonkeybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #16
b'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenmonkeybaby View Post
You are both saying the same thing.

Per DS rules, you can not ask the buyer to cover your fees in addition to the PPD price listed. Per Paypal rules, you can not ask a buyer to pay fees incurred by using Paypal that are additional to the item price listed.

You have to build fees into the cost of your listing by charging enough; then it is not a surcharge, it is overhead and is figured into the selling price. Any fee charged above the listing price is a surcharge.
Yes, thank you for explaining it better than me.
b'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #17
CarrieMeredith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that you are confusing the term "surcharge" with "paypal's transaction fee".

I specifically asked paypal's employees (both that I talked to) if I could put in my listing: $2 plus $.67 paypal transaction fee

The answer both times was YES. Passing paypal's transaction fee on to the buyer is not what they mean when they say do not charge a surcharge. It absolutely isn't. I again say, if you have questions, please feel free to call paypal multiple times and talk to multiple employees

I just don't understand all this angst. There is not rule--yes, not even DS-- that says the paypal transaction fee *cannot* be passed on to the buyer. DS says that *to avoid confusion* just add it into your asking price. On most every other buying and selling site that I frequent, you will see every seller say "don't forget your paypal fee." in their listing. DS is the only site where there is so much contention.

I just wanted to say that I agree that the paypal transaction fee should be added to the listing price. My other disclaimer is: I don't even add the fee in to my price because I buy/sell so little.

I just seriously don't like incorrect info to be spread around.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:20 PM   #18
chickenmonkeybaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
No that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that you are confusing the term "surcharge" with "paypal's transaction fee".

I specifically asked paypal's employees (both that I talked to) if I could put in my listing: $2 plus $.67 paypal transaction fee

The answer both times was YES. Passing paypal's transaction fee on to the buyer is not what they mean when they say do not charge a surcharge. It absolutely isn't. I again say, if you have questions, please feel free to call paypal multiple times and talk to multiple employees

I just don't understand all this angst. There is not rule--yes, not even DS-- that says the paypal transaction fee *cannot* be passed on to the buyer. DS says that *to avoid confusion* just add it into your asking price. On most every other buying and selling site that I frequent, you will see every seller say "don't forget your paypal fee." in their listing. DS is the only site where there is so much contention.

I just wanted to say that I agree that the paypal transaction fee should be added to the listing price. My other disclaimer is: I don't even add the fee in to my price because I buy/sell so little.

You put it in your listing. The buyer did not pm you and then you said "Oh, you're paying with Paypal and you need to add Paypal fees".
Old 02-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #19
CarrieMeredith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Eh? I'm so confused by your last post. ??? Pregnancy brain...
Old 02-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #20
CarrieMeredith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

Just realized that this sounds the opposite of what I meant. I meant that I don't even add the paypal transaction fee in my listing at all--I don't take it into account--I just eat the amount.