Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
mclaybrook
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
One baby... two placentas????

I had my 18 week ultrasound today.. baby looks great.. measures perfect with my EDD of July 4th. Only thing that made me nervous (and of course the ultrasound tech couldn't tell me much) is that she thinks I have two placentas!? She said that they don't look to be connected and that it's unlikely that the 2nd one is from another baby.
I don't see my OB until Thursday.. and I can't find any answers online as to why I have two placentas. Anyone know what could be going on? Baby looked perfect.. so, I guess I'm not overly worried.. but, I'm nervous that I'll have to have a c-section.

Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: One baby... two placentas????

Did you have any early bleeding that could have indicated a lost twin? Have you ever had abdominal surgery that could interfere with normal placenta growth?
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #3
mclaybrook
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmama View Post
Did you have any early bleeding that could have indicated a lost twin? Have you ever had abdominal surgery that could interfere with normal placenta growth?
no bleeding or cramping.. I've had 4 D&C's.. two before I got pregnant this time around.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
Willows
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I hate to say this but I wouldn't take too much stock in what the tech said. Really she shouldn't have said anything at all, and waited for a physician to look at the pictures. I have had several wrong diagnosis's in my pregnancies because of what a tech "thought she saw". I would wait and see and get a second u/s if there is any question.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
mclaybrook
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willows View Post
I hate to say this but I wouldn't take too much stock in what the tech said. Really she shouldn't have said anything at all, and waited for a physician to look at the pictures. I have had several wrong diagnosis's in my pregnancies because of what a tech "thought she saw". I would wait and see and get a second u/s if there is any question.
Good advice mama.
She did say the condition she was thinking of is "very very rare".. I just wish she wouldn't have said anything at all. Ugh.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Exactly. I mean, maybe she is right, but there is a high chance she is wrong. Just about 2wks ago, I had a tech tell me my twins had only one placenta. I already knew there were two. I told her such. She brought in a second tech with more experience. Sure enough, the second tech found 2, just very close together. (Obviously though, 2 babies and one placenta isn't nearly as rare as what she told you.)

Try not to worry. The OB will tell you what's up. Oh and if the OB doesn't say anything about it, make sure to bring it up just in case.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #7
rainydaysunshine
Registered Users
seller

Is it possible that you have a lobed placenta? It can have what they refer to as an "accessory" placenta.
rainydaysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy
seller

The entire time I was pregnant with DD the U/S tech kept finding a cyst on my left ovary. I have no left ovary and there was no cyst. I don't know what she was seeing, but she was totally wrong. I have had MRI's, HSG, and the dr actually poked around during the C-section to make sure that there is no ovary there.

You can't always trust what they see on these things.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
elioraimmanuel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The tech may have been wrong. You could also have a vanishing twin.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #10
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Amen to this!!! Techs are NOT supposed to be telling you anything for this exact reason!! Technically their gender determination is an opinion, not a fact or anything that goes in your charts!
I had an early u/s with my first pregnancy and the tech wouldn't even tell me it was twins! They took pics, my mom could see and everything, but they didn't mention a word of it to me!! I went home, my mom had already told me she saw 2 babies, and the nurse told me over the phone! I didn't get a u/s pic or anything! The nurse even said the techs aren't supposed to tell you anything, especially when it comes to a diagnosis of something, because a dr has to review and confirm the findings. And oddly enough, I had 2 placentas that fused together with my twins, but the techs could never tell whether it was 1 placenta that they shared or 2 fused together. After they were born the dr showed me that they were 2 fused.
I'm really curious to find out what you end up hearing about this. I've never heard of 2 placentas for 1 baby, unless it was a lost pregnancy or something, but even that's pretty rare.