Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
BellaRia
Registered Users

Sick, Sick, Sick...

Holy Cow is all I can say. Morning sickness or All Day sickness as I call it has hit with full force. All day...all night I feel like crap. I cant eat very much because I feel so full all the time. lol Not too mention heartburn. Anyone have any tips to survive horrible MS?

Advertisement

EDD:09.22.07 1****5****10***15****20****25****30****35****40 think pink!
BellaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:31 PM   #2
mama23boys
Banned
seller

Re: Sick, Sick, Sick...

no heartburn here but the feeling like CRAP all day is here! i am hungry all the time and when i finally do eat i feel naseous after 10/15min

i cant find anything to drink, well sprite helps a bit but i need to drink more water since i am still nursing but dang its gross LOL

so i will be watching this thread!

ETA: i've also got that metal taste in my mouth and what seems to help are those round red and white peppermint candies.

Last edited by mama23boys; 01-28-2007 at 09:34 PM.
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:44 PM   #3
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Ohh morning or as I called it ALL DAY sickness is the worst!!

For me for some reason CF Pepsi helped.....what else they say peanut butter becaue it coats your stomach and I don't know I was so sick I ended up in the ER b/c I couldn't keep anything down for along time!!! It was bad.....some people swear by Preggie Pops and Seaband bracelets, but no luck for me.

So sorry and I hope it gets better soon!!!

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:00 AM   #4
cblurose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

morning sickness...saltines by the bed..eat one before you even lift your head off your pillow in the morning

heartburn...papaya tablets

hope you are feeling better soon.
cblurose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:35 PM   #5
BellaRia
Registered Users

oh yes, I love my Sea bands now, but they are soooo tight! Also doing the saltine crackers and 1/2 PB sandwich before bed. Thanks ladies!

EDD:09.22.07 1****5****10***15****20****25****30****35****40 think pink!
BellaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:43 AM   #6
MommyMommyMommy
Registered Users
seller

I'm just now getting over my all day sickness. I started throwing up at 6 weeks and didn't stop until last week (at 13 weeks). It would be up to 4 or 5 times a day.

What has been helping me lately is making sure tha something is in my stomach and since the very idea of food makes me , I just take small sips of cold water. Even that helps.

Here are some tips from another mama on another board I'm on:

Remember...If you get to the point where you can't even hold down water and crackers or where you throw up even if you don't eat or drink anything, you've moved beyond morning sickness and into hyperemesis gravidum (excessive vomitting during pregnancy) and you need to see your Dr. He/she can persrcibe an appropriate medication.

Hyperemesis tips:

If you intend to have more than one child and your Dr. trys to perscribe Zofran right off the bat - ask him to take it down a peg or two to compazine or phenergan first because it's been my experience that zofran works WONDERS the first time around but is less successful with each new pregnancy. IF you can get away with a lesser drug, do.
IF you experience side effects from your medication like uncontrolled muscle movments of the face, head, mouth, or body, don't assume you're a hypochondriac and ignore it. These are REAL though rare side effects that your Dr. NEEDS to be made aware of. Anti-emetics (generally) work not on the gut but on the brain (turning off the gag reflex) and are nothing to mess around with.
I know the world is gray and food doesn't taste or smell right and you have ZERO appetitie but if you don't eat anything at all it will only get worse. EAT a little bit even though you're not hungry.
Ask your DH to refrain from using anything with an odor that you, in your non-smell-heightened state of non-pregnancy like because you won't be able to stand the smell of it during pregnancy and if you continue to smell it anyway it will forever make you nauseous (ask me how I know).
Give a gracious pass to the first 4 people that tell you to relax and be happy that you have morning sickness because it means you have a healthy baby - the 5th one you have my permission to pinch hard on the arm. You can slug everyone after that.
Don't wait till you feel sick to take your medicine. If it says 'as needed', assume you'll need it and take it every however many hours you're allowed to take it. If you can stay on top you have a better chance of never going under.
MORNING SICKNESS TIPS:

Never let your tummy get empty and when looking for a small snack, think protien, NOT sugar (peanuts, cashews, jerky, cheese, etc.)
Don't drink and eat at the same time. Eat first, drink later. Drink in small sips.
Laying on your right side empties your stomach faster AND eases nausea.
It is often the after-taste of food that triggers nausea so as soon as you're done eating, suck on a mint (also good for nausea) or brush your teeth and don't use your toothpaste if it makes you sick - brushing with just good old water will do the trick.
Don't open your mouth wide, don't talk a lot - ok, it might just be me but just opening my mouth sometimes sent me over the edge and talking increased swallowing wich increased nausea...you see the carousel I was on...
When you're feeling especially naseated, don't watch TV or look at magazines where you're likely to see pictures of food or people smoking (just the sight of my favorite rumpled detective with his cigar in his mouth sent me straight to the toilet).
Ask your Dr. first but some antacids did help ease my nausea - I used to chew something...mylanta...it came in a light lemon flavor...not too chalky or strong flavored.
What I've heard but didn't work for me:

Take ginger capsules: by the time I swallowed enough water to down the capsule I'd already sunk my ship.
Sea Bands: I've heard this is next to a miracle for some. You can find them at walgreen's and most drug stores. They're pressure bands that you wear on your wrist that depresses the so and so nerve and keeps you from yacking. Didn't work for me but I've heard others rave about it so this is a good, inexpensive one to try.
Eat frozen grapes. I have no idea why anyone even thought this up but when you're desparate you'll try ANYTHING.
Finally, if you find a food that works for you, don't worry about eating it too often or having an unbalanced diet. Better an unbalanced diet than a Mom on IV's staving off malnutrition. For two of my pregnancies, the ONLY thing I could eat and successfully keep down was Rib Eye steak!

If the taste in your mouth makes you sick, try eating shaved ice - it not only gives you small amounts of fluid as you drink, it also voids all taste and numbs your tongue a bit.

Hope this helps!
MommyMommyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:31 PM   #7
Kaymadmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Rolaids chews, and coke flavored icees. The icee is so nice because the cold is soothing and the coke syrup settles your tummy. With dd2 I heard about them from another preggo momma. I thought she was but I tried it and, holy moly it worked!

I eat the Rolaids chews because the Tums make me wanna barf. If you can't stomach your vitamins I highly reccommend Yummi Bears Vits
Old 01-30-2007, 01:34 PM   #8
Kaymadmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh! One mroe thing...I found this crystallized lemon (its in little packets, and sold near the bottled lemon juice). I put it in my water and sipped it through a straw all day. It helped a lot. I *HATED* ginger tea, made me feel like I had the worst heartburn ever (it burns all the way down).