Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
kristypbi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How to alternate skeins when knitting to avoid pooling?

I have been knitting a little bit now and have never bothered with pooling. But I notice when I'm done my projects lack that wow affect that other pro knitters get when they control the pooling.

So, when alternating skeins do I do it every row? Do I have to cut the yarn each time and weave in the ends???? Or do I just carry it down a row since it's on the inside? Also , where do most of you guys alternate rows at? Like the hip, butt, start of the round?

So many questions. Sorry!

Thanks,
Kristy

Advertisement

Old 02-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
Sonic7273
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to alternate skeins when knitting to avoid pooling?

I'd love to know the answer to this too...bump!
Sonic7273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've never done it to solve pooling, because the few times I've gotten pooling I hated, I solved it by going up or down a few sts (e.g. pooled horribly at 100 sts, was awesome at 96).
Here's 100 sts:

and 96 sts:

If you do feel the need to alternate, I'd do every 2nd row, don't break the yarn and make sure you twist one yarn under the other when you switch to avoid a hole.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
MaggieSqrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Those pics are great examples! It really shows what a huge difference you can get just by changing either the # of stitches or the needle-size/gauge just by a little bit.

"Learn to Dye Wool Yarn Kit" and undyed yarn available, too!
MaggieSqrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
libster
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

libster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:57 PM   #6
twinmomkj
Registered Users
seller

Actually, since I really dislike pooling or colorstacking and get frustrated when I have to keep frogging something to change the stitch count and see if it'll work better, I almost always alternate skeins. Or at least get a few rows into it and see if I think I'm going to need it.

So here's the deal. I did it the first time in the center back, but since I was twisting the strands everytime to try and avoid a hole, I ended up with a bit of a pull everytime, and the colorchange is pretty obvious - so it looks like there's a seam up the butt.

Now, I do it at the hip - usually just a tad towards the back - a few stitches behind the side marker.

Here's the cool part. Switch strands every row, but DON'T twist them at all! Just drop strand A and pick up strand B. You won't have a hole at all, because in reality, it's like you're knitting a candy-cane striped item where every row is a different color and they just keep wrapping around each other.

I know this is wierd and it took me awhile laying in bed in the middle of the night to make sense of it in my mind, but if your two strands were different colors (i.e. red and white) you'd end up with striped longies (each stripe just one row wide) that spiraled all the way down the body. There's a link somewhere that explains it. Let me see if I can find it...

Hmmm...I thought I had it in my favorites, but I can't find it. I'm pretty sure Lyttlewon was the mama I saw post the link.

Trust me - switch every row, and don't twist the strands. :-) It's really not hard at all - the toughest part is unwinding things every few rows so your two balls of yarn aren't all twisted around each other.

Oh yeah - I also typically wind my two balls in opposite directions colorwise to help minimize pooling. Meaning, if the colorway goes red, orange, yellow, blue on one skein, I wind the other ball going blue, yellow, orange, red.
twinmomkj is offline   Reply With Quote