Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #91
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:
Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

Not sure that this is "natural parenting", but no ice cream in the first year really was upsetting

Advertisement

Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #92
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

I can't believe how many people posted that their parents/ILs frowned upon breastfeeding. Seriously?! I can't believe that anyone would question breastfeeding being the best choice! That being said, my mom was grossed out when she found out at Christmas that I plan to breastfeed my babies. She nor any of my aunts breastfeed and as far as I know my grandma didn't either.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:49 PM   #93
Sakari
Registered Users

My mom said cloth diapers were a "phase" - then we started ECing! That's been the biggest one - but now they're all totally on board.

Other stuff that wasn't so easy to swallow was ERF and babywearing (as much as I did..."you'll hurt your back")

and some friends freaked about the homebirth.

But nobody gave me flak for BFing! i feel very lucky in that regard!

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #94
jubethone
Registered Users
seller
seller

my family - nothing

DH's family - planned birth center waterbirth (not scheduling a C-section), unpaper towels, CDing, eating organic and free-range foods, ERFing, no CIO, BFing, Babywearing, delayed vax, pretty much everything.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #95
crunch!910
Registered Users

I guess I don't understand why anyone would have any real big problem with ERF? Their poor little legs must get squished, but there is no harm, so why would people have a problem with it. I'm stumped.
crunch!910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:04 PM   #96
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my family never really said anything to me, maybe they did behind my back?
my natural parenting choices consist of breastfeeding, some babywearing & cloth diapering, so i don't see what would be freaky about those things...
Old 02-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #97
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we aren't around family, and don't share our choices with them really.

my dh's family is more open to natural stuff though, b/c of where they are from. things like bfing past a year, cosleeping, babywearing, intact boys and girls are the norm

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #98
GC's Mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

My Dad: Non-hospital-birth (1 birth center birth, 1 at home). "Aren't you afraid something will happen?

My sis: Mama Cloth

My MIL: The family bed

My FIL: No shots.......weirdly enough, only about H1N1.

My SIL: CD'ing. "Why would you want to make all that extra work for yourself?"

My GIL (grandma-in-law): Not spanking.

Everyone else keeps their mouth shut. I'm sure they laugh when we're not around, but I let my well behaved healthy kiddos be my best defense.

Last edited by GC's Mama; 02-06-2010 at 07:49 PM.
GC's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #99
mom2kaydncolt
Registered Users
seller

Hmm... most freaked out by...

SIL - the not circ'ing with DS2.

Mom - the homebirth decision, esp the 2nd time when we attempted UC. lol

MIL - nothing seemed to phase her about my parenting choices. She really rocked. I was terrified she'd think it was horrible that I planned to homeschool but she was very supportive of it and apparently was always raving about what a wonderful mother I was to my boys. I miss her.

FIL - nothing that I know of.

Dad and step-mom - I don't know, they're not ones to overtly share their opinions of our choices because they respect that they are indeed our choices. Probably the homebirth thing though.

Step-brother - homeschooling, while I was pg with Kayd he informed me that I must really hate my unborn baby and that it would make me the worst mother on the planet. In all his 13yr old wisdom.

Sister R - probably the extended bf'ing with Sawyer. She's not opposed to it really, just doesn't understand it.

Sister T - freaked isn't the right word but considers me a freak for ERF and I consider her a freak for even thinking about putting her 30lb 2yr old in a booster - backless no less - I quickly put the kaput on that one. HELLO!!!

We don't talk too much about the vax thing though everyone knows where we stand on it. I converted my Sis T to homeschooling. They all thing its extra work to do the cloth diapers but I don't think they find it too freakish. lol Overall we don't discuss our parenting choices much where they differ because we all have very strong feelings on things and for me there are some things I couldn't say about parenting without insulting my sister or my mother.... so I just don't say anything to them. I vent to my husband.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #100
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The thing that freaked my mom out most was that we birthed at home(I didn't even mention that we did it unassisted!). Then, that we don't vax. I just choose not to discuss those or any other touchy subjects with her. Problem solved.