Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #101
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

My Mom: no circ, CD, co-sleeping, AP, BF, non vaxing, child lead PT, mama & family cloth, baby wearing. I totally allowed her to influence my parenting of my first(virtually opposite my second!). She thinks my hubby "ruined" me! Lol! It wasn't him, it's who I ACTUALLY am!

My Hubby's parents: co sleeping, non vaxing(BIL is a doctor who knows all), child lead & AP.

But what they all do agree & think is great is that I stay home with our boys I have to do home daycare to make it work, but I wouldn't have it any other way! 9 years & counting I would HS if I could!

Advertisement

Old 02-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #102
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

My mom is most freaked out by my homebirthing and not vaccinating.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #103
tuckergirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

WOW - threads like these really do make me appreciate how great I have it.

My parents used CDs on me, I was BF'd until I was 2, and they used a little food mill to just grind up table food for me. In fact, my mom is actually crunchier than I am and the only flack I get from her is that I actually do keep the occasional bit of junk food in the house and we're not quite as organic as she and my dad are. (We actually would be if it was in the budget!) I think they were a little bit puzzled by the ERFing, since back in the 80s they didn't have me rearfacing at all! (They didn't like not being able to see me - eeek!) I didn't start CDing DD until she was 6 months old, I think my dad was actually really disappointed those first 6 months that I was using sposies. He was mostly responsible for diapers anytime he wasn't at work so he kept asking when I was pregnant "are you sure you don't want to use cloth? we used cloth on you . . ." My parents also stopped vaccinating when I was 1 - they did the research at that point and were pretty horrified by the lack of scientific testing and the chemicals, so they were relieved that I decided not to vax DD.

My MIL has only met DD once so she really doesn't try to give me parenting advice anymore. She tried when DD was an infant, but I pretty much just brushed it off. The weird thing though was that she agrees with everything we do, but she doesn't want to hear about why. She'd call to tell me she read an article about the dangers of vaccines and I'd tell her that no, we don't vax and I'd start to explain why but she didn't want to hear it. Guess it was only interesting if she was informing me? She thought our cloth dipes were great, but she wanted to borrow a couple to take them home and show people! Uh, no! We need those!
Old 02-06-2010, 11:35 PM   #104
MommyKeller0107
Registered Users
seller

Homebirthing (I brought it up with my last PG) caused a HUGE ruckus with my mom, but not my ILs. They were all for it surprisingly!

NOT circ'ing this time around will cause a HUGE uproar... but, cest la vie.

L0Ri K

MAMA T0 KADE (1/07)
LEVi (09/10)!

:: & RUBY ♥ ::
MommyKeller0107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:56 AM   #105
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My mom- 100+% against bfing She thinks that it is disgusting and can't understand why anyone would do it. Same with cd-ing. Totally against it. To the point she says I'm a bad parent for doing it.

MIL- not spanking. My kids do fine with time outs, she doesn't think so.
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:13 AM   #106
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Well I'm a bit dense, I don't know how I missed this thread!

For the most part I just have family that won't really come out and say to many things but you can tell in their tone of "Oh, I see" or the roll of their eyes they don't approve.

"Extended" breastfeeding
family bed
No CIO
No spanking/hitting
No scheduling
Not vaxing [because after all "we did it and we're fine." HATE that excuse!]

Cloth diapering was actually liked though!
Old 02-07-2010, 08:28 AM   #107
twirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ILs are "concerned" about pretty much everything but the issue they seem to have the hardest time with is me not wanting to take DD to the doctor every five minutes.

We were without health insurance for a year, so I only took DD when she was sick (2x, ear infections) and MIL pestered DH about bringing DD in for "her shots" all. year. long. Nevermind that she wasn't actually behind on anything I wanted her to have. ILs were a huge issue in our marriage.

My parents weren't freaked out, but no one really understands ERFing.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #108
ASmiles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My in-laws are great. They don't say anything about our choices (except joking that we need a king-sized bad). But they also live halfway across the country so aren't exposed to our choices regularly...lol My MIL often makes comments about what great parents we are. She's wonderful.

My dad has a problem with us co-sleeping when they're tiny babies--he's afraid we're going to roll on them. He also thinks we should get all vaccines on time, including H1N1 (I delay most but would NEVER consider H1N1 for my kids). While he agrees that our food choices (as much organic as possible, no processed, buying a grass fed cow, etc) are probably best, he often comments that there's no way we could feed the country that way. He also says that organic "just means it's grown in poop."

My mom is the most vocal. I think she might be a little threatened by my extended bfing, because she never breastfed. So, when I talk about how much better it is for them I think it makes her feel guilty for not. My last DS nursed for 27 months and we were really starting to get some comments. She thinks I'm crazy to CD and says my daughter is going to look back at her pictures and wonder why I always dressed her in those "weird little pants" (woolies). Thinks it's crazy that we co-sleep and don't CIO though she stopped making comments when I told her my anxiety issues were probably because she put me in a big 'ol crib and just left me for the night when I was a newborn.

My whole family thinks I'm weird for not pushing baby food early (my last 2 have gone straight from EBF to table food at around 11 months). They all (including my husband) joke and put things up to my youngest baby's mouth (4 months old). They would never give it to her, but it irritates me that they make me the bad guy. "oh...if MOMMY would let you, I'd give you this..."
Old 02-07-2010, 10:51 AM   #109
BabyD'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My mom thinks I'm totally awesome for doing all my natural stuff...except mama cloth and diva cup. She thinks those 2 are pretty weird! Nobody else (except me, mom, and DH) know about me using mama cloth.

My in-laws think a lot of the things I do are "different." I think they don't get why I would opt to do things naturally when mainstream is "easier" and more common. Probably delaying vaccines and solids has been hardest for my MIL to understand. The great thing is that they don't give me a hard time about my decisions.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:02 AM   #110
Sakari
Registered Users

oh yeah! MIL thought delaying solids was a bit weird - and not eating sugar.

and My mom is having a hard time with us not letting DD CIO - especially when she was younger "If you'd have done it before, her crying wouldn't have been as loud - I don't know what you'll do now!"

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote