Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #111
bezark
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

I really don't get too much crap about anything I do, fortunately.

A lot of people thought CDing wouldn't last, and most of our family wouldn't go anywhere near a cloth diaper themselves, but no one really had a problem with us doing it.

No one on my side has ever BF'd, and they all assumed that would end when DS got teeth. "You'll be singing a different tune when he bites into your nipple!" etc.

I don't think anyone knows we don't vax. That's a can of worms I don't plan on opening unless someone really wants to know.

I do get a ton of flack about my preference toward natural toys. "But it doesn't *do* anything. It's boring!" etc.

Oh, and how could I forget - Not circumcising. That was, by far, the biggest issue. Frankly, I'm not sure why anyone else gives a hoot about my son's penis. Those discussions ended as soon as he was born, however, since they realized I wasn't changing my mind. No one else ever changes any diapers anyway.

Advertisement

Last edited by bezark; 02-07-2010 at 02:14 PM.
bezark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #112
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

Not circumcising for sure. MIL quite talking to us for 2 weeks, my mom thought it was horrible as well. MIL still admits she wishes we would have circumcised him simply because she knows a 60 something year old man who had to have it done and he said it was the worst experience ever. But I have great relationship with my MIL, so she doesn't really ever mention it. My mom is now completely converted to my side of the arguement because my little brother (12) almost lost his penis a year ago to a complication that had gone unnoticed from his circumcision! And now, he's going to have to have another surgery to correct another problem that stemmed from the circumcision (completely unrelated to the first issue). So yeah... 2 additional surgeries for her boy just because they circumcised him.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #113
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my MIL hasn't said a word about ANYTHING I choose to do.. which is shocking actually. lol My Mom however has freaked out about the breastfeeding.. in all senses.. I couldn't possibly do it in front of other people, my husband would be angry because I was "whiping it out" so other people could see it.. ummmm no? he could careless.. then I was MOLESTING my child by continuing to breastfeed past 12 months. (she got an earful for that one) she also had issues with the fact we coslept with jake. (a niece had a baby that died of "sids" and that niece was also on drugs/drinking and taking sleeping pills while she was doing so.. who knows what really happened)
cloth diapers were more of a "you'll hate it, i did it 40 years ago and it sucked" kind of thing. she doesn't really understand why I would want to, but she doesn't think i'm a weirdo though.. however she wondered why jake never wore "normal clothing" when he had 501 pairs of longies. lol
I also didn't circ, but my mom just thinks that's because dave isn't. I decided not to argue that the fact that he's intact is like 5% of the reason why. lol she did tell me that my child would most likely go to hell for it though.. okay..

As for vaccinations.. my mom would freak out more if I DID vaccinate. lol (I'm not vaccinated either)

ETA:
oh and the carseat thing is a never ending story for my mom. she can't believe miranda is still harnessed, she should just be flat on the seat by now.. jake needs to be turned around so his legs don't get crammed and uncomfortable (when he's only 29inches tall.. lol)

Last edited by jenn5388; 02-07-2010 at 04:40 PM.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #114
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Cloth diapers here. Everyone swore I wouldn't keep it up. Oh, really? It's been 10mths of full time CD'ing.
Not so much babywearing itself, but the cost of my carrier. My mother nearly had a stroke when she found out I spent $$$ on a SSC.
Thet got over my car seat craziness a long time ago.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #115
MySonsClothBum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DW is scarcely on board with the cloth dipes. and will never understand my mamacloth. MANY friends question the mamacloth AND cloth dipes. and my MOM doesn't understand the cloth dipes, OR, the fact that we had our son in a bassinet in our bedroom for 7.5months before moving him to his crib. i don't dare tell her about my mamacloth, or the fact that our son isn't circ'd.

(also, our son eats about 98% organic food-all family and friends ask about is our grocery bill. guess no one cares we just want to do what we think is best!)

OH!
and friends/my mom don't understand us rear-facing past 1 yr.

Last edited by MySonsClothBum; 02-07-2010 at 05:06 PM.
MySonsClothBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #116
girlymama0104
Registered Users
seller

Homeschooling, probably. My girls are 8 and 5.5, so past the CD stage, but I never got much grief for that. I am having a baby in 4 days and if half my family knew we were keeping him intact I am sure I would never hear the end of it. But- it isn't their business anyway and so I don't plan on screaming it from the rooftops.

Oh- I did get some grief for EBF and co-sleeping, and I expect I will again. Nobody ever said anything about ERF.

Nobody knows about my mama cloth or Diva cup, LOL.
girlymama0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:40 AM   #117
quirkbean
Registered Users
Formerly: ShortStackCustoms
seller

My Mood:

Pretty much most things My momma loves me, and supports anything I do, but she thinks I'm a wacky hippe or something HAHA. But shes a little crazy herself!

It's mostly DH's family, and friends of my family. My family loves that I CD, BW, make her baby food, they all think it's so cool. Last weekend I was over at my cousins, I was wearing DD on my back, my 2.5YO cousin DD asked me if she could get on, and she and asked her momma to wear her haha. DH's family is very.... well different. Insisted on buying us a crib with matching bedding etc.... and shes slept in her crib maybe 2 times And the bedding did't fit the crib Thankfully DH's family isn't really in our lives too much, just over the phones once in awhile, and holidays.

My family on the other hand... calls 3-5 times a day, comes over 1-3 times a week.... HAHA gotta love them!
Old 02-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #118
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

I haven't read all the posts but the ones I've gotten comments about is
co-sleeping with infant
cds (still have a friend who makes comments about it, after three years of me using them LOL!)
and definitely the most controversial is select/delay vaxing my son.
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #119
oliviab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The one they freak about the most is not vaccinating. They always ride me on it.Dh family the most.After that its the still breastfeeding at 2! When I first decided to cd they all laughed at me because They said It would never last.2 years and going strong.They all really hate the wool and cant believe I spend my money on it!
oliviab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #120
glupton
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyWLS View Post
I am far from the crunchiest, but my family thinks I am absolutely crazy because of: breastfeeding, cloth diapering, making my own baby food.

They have no idea that I only scratched the surface

We also cosleep, use cloth napkins, reusable bags, eat whole grains and severely limit sugar/sweets/juices...

Although, I think my family is "freaked out" in kind of a good way. They are in awe and amused and think I'm at least partially nuts, but it does make them think. My sister recently bought a steam cleaner thing and sent me an email ecstatically proclaiming "Look ______, it cleans without chemicals!"