Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2010, 11:14 AM   #131
txmom72
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

I think the most negative thing came from my sister, who only BF her kids for a couple of weeks (it's too difficult and her DH didn't want her to). On top of the BF issue, she didn't understand why I didn't start feeding him at 4 months so he could STTN.
I'm delaying some vax's with DD, which my mom didn't understand, until I told her how many they actually get now! I'm still not sure if we're going to continue vaxing or not.
ERF - my DS's DCP thought it was horrible that I still had him RF at 22 months, because he hadn't reached the weight limit for the seat.

The in-laws live far, far away, so I don't really hear anything from them about our parenting. MIL didn't understand BF, but never said anything negative.

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #132
jewelzbird
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

Most of my family has been supportive and even converted by many of our choices. They do worry about delaying and selecting vaxes though...and the in laws raised a few eye brows when I nursed so long. Most of them have too much respect and a healthy fear that I would shut them out if they were contrary with our parenting choices. I know they worry about my son being veggie too. But they bite their tongues around me! And they better!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #133
Ilovecaseyandcoh
Registered Users
seller

Cloth wipes seemed to freak out my family the most.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #134
fitmomCA
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatje View Post
It's funny because my inlaws would be freaked out if we did circ or vax on schedule - it seems like in Europe things are so different. You only circ for religious reasons there, never anything else. And MMR/autism awareness is bigger in the UK than here by a huge margin. It's funny how we can be so different!
I totally agree that it depends a lot on where your family/relatives are from. Both my family and DH's family are from Europe and would freak out if we were to circ our new baby (I am pregnant with a baby boy due in June). Not that I plan to circ anyway as after doing my own extensive research, I could not find a good reason to do it.

My mom at first made some comments about our choice to CD our DD. But when she saw how much cloth dipes have evolved since she was a baby herself (my grandmother CD'd both her children, not by choice, but because disposables did not exist then), she was more on board.

In-laws were really interested in us CD'ing (they are a pretty environmentally conscious family and were genuinely interested in knowing how it worked).

Honestly, the most flack I got was from my mother regarding babywearing. Still to this day (DD is almost 2), she thinks that I spoiled her as a baby and that I should not do the same with my next baby (mind you, DD is a pretty easy child so I am not sure what the problem really is).

We plan on having a homebirth wih our next baby and strangely I have not received as many negative comments as I thought I would (in fact, I received very few negative comments, more like questions from people interested in knowing more about it). Maybe it helps that we live in California, close to Berkeley, and while not the norm, the idea of having a homebirth is not thought of as totally weird.
fitmomCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:37 PM   #135
Ellasundies
Registered Users

My family was pretty cool about the cloth diapers. They did seem surprised at first but once they found out about the cost savings and the carcinogens they were right on board.

We do try to buy organic but they are on board with that as well, actually we all grow most of our produce, at least for the summer and fall months, we have run out of most by this time of the year. We are all concerned about carcinogens and other diseases caused by pesticides. 3 grandparents of mine were killed from cancer and my Mom died of a very rare Parkinson's disease type illness.

We don't completely non-vaccinate but I don't vaccinate as much as possible. My side of the family is on board with that as well. A good friend of the family had a child who was healthy and fine on minute and was completely Autistic after getting a round of 5 vaccines at once. Went from fine to literally banging her head off things the day after the vac's. My MIL however is a different story she used to work at a doc's office and is 100% pro-vaccine. She thinks it's horrid that we don't vaccinate for flu and stuff like chicken pox.

The breast feeding was an issue at first with my side of the family. But they got used to it. They even seem comfortable around me when I'm BF'ing now.

The one thing that I do get the most flack about is the co-sleeping. When it comes up he will out and out yell about it. Saying how we will never get them out of our bed, ever. We do just fine though DS #1 had to get kicked out to make room for DD #2 and he transitioned with no problem.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:51 PM   #136
beaute_marquee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Lol. I forgot about one. When I got pregnant with ds2, I went to a midwives' practice instead of an ob practice. They all wanted to make sure there would be a doctor there, and that I would actually be at a hospital. Funny, because if I had chosen midwives and the birthing center the first time, I never would have had a csection and been required to have the doctor and hospital the second time. I plan to force the issue if there is a next time. Now that I've had a sucessful vbac, I don't see how I'm any more "high risk" than anyone else. Wonder what they'll say then?
Old 02-12-2010, 06:41 AM   #137
ma-meem
Registered Users
Formerly: ecoMama2b
seller

cd'ing, they were all like "REALLY?! ew" LOL and my mother and sister are weirded out by mama cloth hehe
ma-meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #138
lindsayncadence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I guess I am really lucky. We do not get much negativity with family. Besides Dh's older brother who dislikes everything Everyone is so open in our families it really is great. Sometimes we get questions about our choices but usually its them just wanting to have a better understanding of why we make the choices we do for our family
Old 02-12-2010, 07:24 PM   #139
RJmomof4
Registered Users
Formerly: RJmomof2
seller

My Mood:

biggest is the non vax, then wanting a home birth, then the mama cloth, family cloth, and cloth diapers. oh and nfp
Old 02-12-2010, 10:20 PM   #140
sdevonh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Probably EC. My parents try not to talk about it much, and the IL's view it as a kind of party trick. I don't think that either set of grandparents really grasps what I am trying to do by EC'ing either of my children. There tends to be more focus on it as a means to early potty learn rather than another tool in my belt to help provide for baby's needs.