Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2010, 10:31 PM   #141
sdevonh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

I forgot, I do get quite a bit of flack about BWing. I guess I'm so used to it by now that it wasn't the first thing that came to mind.
My father makes frequent comments about DS "getting what he wants" when I pick him up or put him in a carrier, and once even went as far as saying that my son is "over-attached" to me!

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2010, 10:49 AM   #142
nevsmom06
Registered Users
seller

Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

Cd'ing- I too got the you won't do it for long, this is just a phase LOL We're no Cd'ing baby #3 Delayed vaxing- I can't make them understand, I give up trying. Homebirth- We did a waterbirth at home with our son born Christmas day. Everyone just raised their eyebrows, then about a week before he was born they all really started to freak out because I hadn't changed my mind yet.
Oddly the biggest one that is weirding everyone out is that we didn't circ our DS.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:02 AM   #143
maureen73
Registered Users
seller

We don't treat a fever unless it is over 103...I allow the bodies natural immunity to fight off infection.

Also, my inlaws think home schooling is very "out there". Fortunately, my mom is very open and thinks it is a great idea so she is supportive.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #144
cjslater1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I could not cry it out which my mom supported but no one else did, of course she had to take me to the dr when I was 6 mths because my tear ducts hadn't developed because she had never put me down, then he told her she needed to. Everyone thinks cding is wierd and don't know why I am starting it now when he is 16 months. They keep calling them plastic pants and trainers, erghhh. I am thinking of getting a sling and retireing the stroller that oughta send someone through the roof. A little scared about mama cloth but thinking about it or the diva cup thingy.
cjslater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:31 PM   #145
cjslater1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

me and my husband homeschooled so me wanting to send our kids to perochial school is not going over well.
cjslater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #146
pcjs
Registered Users

Since we don't do a lot of things talked about on here... cloth diapering was the winner for us, then the home made purees and now just feeding - my mom is insistent on feeding gerber jarred and he hasn't had it in months and 6 weeks ago started refusing any puree or cereals except every once in a while or mixed in yogurt. But, given she rarely babysits and refuses anything regular she gets no opinion.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #147
MyLovely
Registered Users

My mom is the only one who bothers to say anything, but she's weird. My sister and I were extended-co-sleepers (infancy to young childhood), so she'd wonder what's wrong with my if I co-slept. She was anti-CIO, so she'd be mad with me if I decided to do that too. Other things; nursing past two, home birth, cloth diapering, not vaxing (my SIL broke them, since my nieces aren't vaxed; it's nothing new), not circ'ing, etc. don't really phase her. She flip flops with CDing...she thinks they're really cute, but then begs my sister to just "use normal diapers, like pampers, please!"

Anyhow, cloth wipes freak her out. Cloth dipes? Totally fine. But for some reason, cloth wipes just put her over the edge. I also plan to taste my breastmilk (just a little taste, not like chugging a gallon or anything) because I want to know what my baby's food tastes like (I'd do the same if I FF). That totally flips her out.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:13 PM   #148
Kaboom
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
seller

My Mood:

I think my first home birth scared family the most - but I think keeping our younger sons intact was what 'weirded' them out the most.

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:38 PM   #149
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Though I've never heard one word about it, I think that leaving my son intact was probably the biggest shocker to my family.

Cosleeping would be next, though I do hear about that one from time to time.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:32 AM   #150
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

co-sleeping certainly. cloth not so much, my mom used it on me and my sibs. we're lucky to have a fairly nonjudgmental family.

i know my decision to home vbac this next baby will not go over well. and they all think we're nuts for cosleeping.
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote