Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-16-2010, 08:46 AM   #151
MamaStick
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

I was the first Mama in my family to BF since my great-great Grandmother. Everyone wondered what was wrong with me - then when I 'extended' it to 2 years, I got a lot of questions. Now that I've BF'd 5 kids with another coming soon- my cousin's daughter has went with BFing because "Julie did it and her kids are never sick and they're HUGE!" :-) Makes me warm and fuzzy.

Co-sleeping - they thought I'd roll on them. Nope, sorry, Mama doesn't move. I'm currently squished up between the two cutest men in the world at night :-) Hubby sleeps on the couch - but it's a couch/bed and he only does because DS1 kicks him.

We don't visit a doctor unless the kids are very, very sick after their 8 months to a year of life. I 'doctor' all of my kids at home. Albeit, I do have training, but some of my family doesn't hold with herbal remedies like I do. My grandfather is a die hard vegan, herbalist, and strict Seventh Day Adventist, so he 'gets' my lifestyle choices better than the rest of the family.

We're working on moving back to the country and going as sustainable as possible. I know my family thinks I'm odd for that, but before marrying my husband I lived in a cabin, heated and cooked with wood, and grew most of my food (meat included). They know I can do it...they're just wondering if my city-boy hubby can!

Advertisement

Last edited by MamaStick; 09-16-2010 at 08:48 AM.
MamaStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:53 AM   #152
RJmomof4
Registered Users
Formerly: RJmomof2
seller

My Mood:
Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

Im sure the vax thing would be #1 so I dont even share it but if somebody asked Id be honest.

Breast feeding past 6 months has grossed out pretty much every one I know too bad Im going to 2 yrs lol.

Family cloth, mama cloth next

then cloth diapering.

They also dont agree with me feeding my family organically, letting my kids run around in my house naked, not giving my kids kool-aid or soda. Oh and not feeding my kids solids until there 6 - 9 months.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:54 AM   #153
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nothing. No one really cares that we're "different''. They know that what we do isn't harmful and that we've done our research and are comfortable in our parenting. What seems to freak non-real life people out is that we didn't circumcise. Apparently an intact boy/man is gross.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #154
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My determination to have a natural (albeit, hospital) birth. No one thought I could do it. "Oh, you'll give in", or "Quit trying to be a martyr" However, it was very important to me and I succeeded!

Not vaccinating is also another one that had a few family members all up in arms. However, I'm a good debater AND I don't go around broadcasting my childrens' non-vax status, so not everyone knows.

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #155
logansmomma07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Definitely homebirth. They don't like anything else we do but aren't "freaked out" like they are about homebirth. My mother told me she isn't going to be anywhere around when this baby is born because she doesn't want any part of it Even though D's homebirth went perfectly Its mostly because my mw is a CPM not a CNMedwife. She thinks CPMs are untrained and unexperienced and have no place "delivering babies", and give "medwives" a bad name because they aren't nurses.

Yeah, Mom, my mw has been "delivering" babies since you were born.

She completely bailed on my when D was born, at the last freakin minute. The plan the whole pregnancy was that she would come a week before my EDD and be there to help. Well just a few weeks before, "Oh, we can't come now, we decided to BUY A HOUSE instead. Have fun with that homebirth." I think she was hoping I would have a change of heart and go to the hospital
Old 09-16-2010, 11:19 AM   #156
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How about everything?

I mean, it started in the hospital hours after Kiddo #1 was born. Instead of helping me, wanting to know what they could do to help, asking for details of the birth, congratulating us, anything... my mother came to the hospital to go off on some kind of rant about DS's name! None of them liked his unusual name, so we had to hear all about that.

My DH's grandmother, upon hearing the news of her second great-grandchild's birth, immediately sat down to clip out some Dear Abby thing from the newspaper AFTER we signed the birth certificate and AFTER his name was completely official, then sent it to us. The clipping was highlighted in yellow highlighter, and it was allll about how "unusual names" put children at a "complete disadvantage in today's society", how children "burdened" with these names often are "ridiculed in school and have a harder time fitting in"...

Next, FIL came to the hospital and sat there peering over my shoulder while I was trying to change DS and bellowed, "You're not circing him?!" and had to know why and basically what was wrong with us. He then proceeded to go home and write down several Biblical verses about why boys need a circ according to God's word, though nobody in this family is Jewish and some don't believe at all. Yeah, completely and totally p!$$ed me off.

And then both sides of the family were in a complete uproar about the no vaxing thing. Absolutely livid. I heard everything from "they" will come take the kids away over that, that so and so took her kid to the E.R. over a cut to the head and the kid's vaccines were delayed so Mom "got in a lot of trouble for that", that they will never be able to go to school and "you know those diseases are still around, don't you?"

They even had a problem with me chosing no epidural, even though otherwise I had a really horrible completely medicalized birth due to my Type 1 Diabetes. That's the one thing I got for my "natural" birth, no epi, and everybody acted like something was certainly wrong with me. In fact, after the births of DD1 and DD2, the very first thing anybody asked me was, "Did you get an epidural this time?" Like... WHY? Why does that matter? You don't wanna know about the birth or anything about the baby, your first concern is did I get an epi this time?

And then we go on down the line - extended BF'ing is disgusting, CD'ing is "too expensive" () and I should not be doing that much "bending and lifting" when I'm pregnant (I guess we should all ignore the fact that I gotta do bending and lifting anyway since I got these other kiddo's to care for with or without CD's!), AP'ing is just "spoiling them", and co-sleeping is wrong because they'll "never leave your bed, you watch and see." My DH's grandmother and father in particular have a big problem with that.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:32 PM   #157
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by THBVsMama View Post
My determination to have a natural (albeit, hospital) birth. No one thought I could do it. "Oh, you'll give in", or "Quit trying to be a martyr" However, it was very important to me and I succeeded!

Not vaccinating is also another one that had a few family members all up in arms. However, I'm a good debater AND I don't go around broadcasting my childrens' non-vax status, so not everyone knows.
Pretty much the same here. My mom was really supportive of my natural birth and I wanted her to be there, but she didn't make it in time However my MIL insisted on telling me her birth horror stories and her daughter's, and her daughter in law's...etc. I'm still undecided on vaccinations...but I know that my family doesn't understand why.

BF on demand (and delaying solids/no cereal) is probably the strangest one to my mom- she calls me the "human pacifier" a lot, but doesn't bother me about it now because she knows that I've made my decision and allows me to be the mother that I am comfortable with.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:25 PM   #158
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

only extended BF'ing. Most of my family thinks it's gross. ESPECIALLY my brother! He talks sooo much crap when ANY AGE child is bf'ing in public.
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:57 PM   #159
eracheld
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Buying used diapers off of FSOT. "EEEWWWW that's GROSSSS"

Scentsy team!
eracheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #160
Mommy2Be08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Cloth diapering, Breastfeeding past one(and even now since DS is 10 months some thing he should be done and on cows milk??!!), cosleeping, not feeding rice cereal at 4 days old, select vaxing, ERF...pretty much everything lol
Jocelyne mommy 4 beautiful boys! Baby#5 Due August 2014 I'm Shaving my head to conquer childhood cancer! http://www.stbaldricks.org/participa...ge/675375/2014
Mommy2Be08 is online now   Reply With Quote