Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #161
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

family - nothing.

My mom bf all six of us until we stopped on our own (between ages 2-4) and that was in the 60's-80's. She gave birth to her youngest 3 children at home, did not circ her only son, used cd's and preferred them over sposies, used carseats before they were required, made her own baby food and did blwing, selective/delayed vaxed us (and she's got a BSN), wore us in slings/carriers, etc. One of my sisters bf her dd until 4, cd'd by choice, etc as well. Two sisters had fully natural (but in the hospital) labors. I'm the only one that managed to do an induction w/o pain meds.

The only thing we did that was "surprising" was erf and that's only b/c they'd never heard of it and thought that you HAD to turn at 1 and 20. So, once we told them about erf, they all were onboard. One sis even fixed some "minor" carseat misusage after we pointed it out. DH's family found erf a little stranger, but no one gives us a hard time about it.

Friends - prob erf and a little cd

No one wants to erf, so we're the "strange ones". No one gets in our face about it though. Lots of people think we're weird b/c we cloth diaper and LIKE it, but again, no one really talks about it. We don't discuss vaxing w/ friends b/c I don't want the arguments. If people knew, then selective/delayed vaxing would prob be the most controversial.

Advertisement

Old 09-17-2010, 08:18 AM   #162
stephy4632
Licensed Knitter
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

just about everything I did as a parenting choice bothered IL`s and alot my parents as well.

having a midwife instead of a DR.

Haveing a drug free birth

BFing ( MIL told me to my face I was starving my baby and she was going to take me to court for grandparents rights if I didn`t feed my babies formula and cerceal at a month old I told her to go ahead and call and made dh deal with her lmbo)

not starting solids until they where over 6months old

giving bm past a year old

rear facing car seat past a year old ( MIL had a huge issue with this one as well she even went so far as to purchase my ODD a booster seat as her first birthday gift (roll eyes) it was placed in our living room on the floor as a TV chair and it drove her nuts every single time she came over )

cloth diapering and using wool

baby wearing

more current things are the fact that I will not let my girls ride a school bus I drive them to and from school in there 5 point harness car seats
and that I will not let ODD eat school lunches I pack for her every day
stephy4632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:55 AM   #163
n3w2cl0th
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hmmm....well with my folks when we decided to CD (purely for financial reasons) they freaked...my parents had tried to CD my middle brother because they were short on cash too...and had a horrible experience with flats and pins and plastic pants (1987ish)...my dad called me and freaked "I just got a promotion at my job, I will buy your diapers, dont use cloth!" lol....I had to really reassure them we WANTED to do this...and now they think its super cool...and they are amazed how much CDing has changed...my MIL and FIL didnt think anything of it (that I know of) DH is 13 yrs older than me and he says he and all his siblings were CD'd...not to mention MIL made most of their clothes and grew their food!

my ILs didnt seem too thrilled by ERF....we had ODS RF until he was 35 lbs...and YDS is now 26 lbs (2yrs and 2mos right now) and he is still RF...when my DS went to pick up his niece at MILs (she will be 3 in dec) he drove her back to our house RF...and his BIL was like WHY? She FF in our car...DH said "she should be RF, too small for FF, we are not comfortable with her FF in our car"....DH rocks! He initially fought me on having ODS turned back around to RF when he had been FF for nearly a year...but I showed him that video of the 3 yr old boy who suffered internal decapitation from a car accident when he was FF and he was sold!

Some folks turned up an eyebrow when they saw how LONG I BFd for (17 mos) and said I was spoiling him because I wouldnt just hand my frightened screaming child over to family members he hadnt seen since he was a newborn! Sorry....just because your family doesnt mean Im going to let my child be scared until he "gets used to you" ...that made my DH so mad...he couldnt believe his own family...but you know...some folks...
Old 09-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #164
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:

Nothing we've done so far has really freaked out my family. We usually just get a raised eyebrow and an "okaaay". My MIL actually loves that we cloth diaper because she did with her kids. She doesn't like that we vaccinate, as she didn't vaccinate her kids.

My mother never has a problem with my parenting decisions, but she does comment on SIL's parenting (even though she loves my SIL to bits). For example, she always said that the reason my niece doesn't sleep through the night is because they co-sleep. Well, DS doesn't STTN either and we don't co-sleep. She also commented on the fact that my niece BFd until she was almost two, but never says anything when I say I'll BF past a year. She never makes any comments to my SIL, she just says them to me.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:33 AM   #165
travelmama24
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nothing we did freaked anyone out, but then again, we didn't do anything too out of the ordinary.

Organic & natural foods - we only fed DD organic baby food & made our own at times too. We still buy organic or natural foods whenever possible (especially meats, fruits, veggies & dairy) but we don't go to extremes by any means. Although they don't say anything about it, I know by the blank stares when we talk about it that they think we're a little

Using only BPA-free bottles, sippies, bowls, etc. - people couldn't understand how something that is deemed safe by the FDA could be a bad for you (Phen Phen anyone?)

PL'ing at DD's pace - DD is 2.5 and just started showing a big interest 2 months ago. We don't push her though - we ask if she wants to go on the potty and if she says yes, we put her on it and if she says no, we don't. Most people in our families think we should have pushed her around the age of 2 or should be pushing her more now.

Using "expensive" cloth training pants - some people think we should use Pull-ups (hello, talk about expensive) while others think we should go right to regular undies. (we're using Imse Vimse)

Everyone was on board with our alternative vax schedule. After DD's 9 month vax's we realized she was getting pretty sick after each set of 4 or 5 vax's so we cut back to 1 or 2 at a time and thankfully, the plan has worked really well.

Last edited by travelmama24; 09-17-2010 at 11:37 AM.
travelmama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #166
Catlynn
Registered Users
seller

When I chose to have a natural childbirth I had a lot of people (friends and family) tell me I couldn't do it and that I was crazy. They aren't too upset about the CD'ing but they do think it's weird. When I first decided to do non-vaxing I thought telling friends and family would be exciting and informative for them...not so much. So now I just don't talk about it with many people. I changed to a mostly organic/vegitarian diet when I got pregnant and have remained that way...people think that's really special! Haha
Catlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #167
gobybike
Registered Users

My Mood:

having a natural birth- no pain medication whatsoever and refusing to lay on my back while pushing (ended up pushing while squatting), breastfeeding, not starting solid foods till 8months, cloth diapering starting in the hospital, raising DD vegetarian (her papa and I are vegan) and non-vaxing.

My parents were weary about the non-vaxing at first, but after informing my mom on the research I had done, they both backed us up on it. My grandparents and other family members don't understand and refuse to hear my side of the story, resulting in awkward family get-togethers. HA.

Ashley! Sweetheart to Bret, mama to Eedan Dahlia (Oct. 13th 2008) and Coyote Sequoia-Skye (June 9th 2011)
gobybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #168
adavieau
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I remember my grandmother being very nervous that I didn't have a doctor when I was pg with dd (I had a midwife). My dad seemed to think that cloth diapering "wasn't worth it." Most of my family don't know that my kids are not fully vax'd (its never really come up) but I'm sure some of them will think its nuts. I know sil will have a fit when she finds out we are planning to home-school (she's a public school teacher and thinks that's the only way).
adavieau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:00 PM   #169
travelmama24
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlynn View Post
When I chose to have a natural childbirth I had a lot of people (friends and family) tell me I couldn't do it and that I was crazy.
I don't understand that mentality. A friend is pregnant and posted on FB that she wanted to have a natural childbirth. Out of 15 respondents, I was the only one who told her she could do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobybike View Post
having a natural birth- no pain medication whatsoever and refusing to lay on my back while pushing (ended up pushing while squatting)
Ugh - when I tell people that I used a squatting bar and had my bed in a chair-like position and tilted forward so that I wasn't laying on my back, they look at me like I'm crazy. It's called gravity people! It doesn't make sense to go against it when it really can help so much during delivery (except in my case where DD was stuck on my pelvic bones and was not coming out no matter how hard I tried). I loved the experience of squatting though!!!!
travelmama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:06 PM   #170
blane,j,&morgansmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

co sleeping, cloth diapers, cloth wipies,amber necklace-not too extreme, but my family and friends think I'm nuts!