Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-17-2010, 02:03 PM   #171
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

My attempted UBAC last year with my LO probably takes the cake. My mother was even slightly concerned and she's usually very crunchy herself.

Other then that the non-vaxing is an issue in my extended family. My aunt is an ER doc, and didn't have much nice to say when she found out none of my children have had any vax.

Anabaptist Christian, Homeschooling, EBF, non-vaxing, non-circ, CD'ing, Wife to M (8-15-98), Blessed with DD 11, DS 7, DS 5, and my two reversal babes!, DS 16 months, and #5 due Jan '11!
SKITTLES46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #172
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

Breastfeeding. It starves babies, an no woman can make truly enough milk for her child. EBF is just bizarre (dd is 3.25 now)
SAHM to my July 2007 DD and Sept 2010 DS, SAHWife to my DH. ISO: BG organic cotton aio, Sposoeasy L, Simplex L, all boysih/GN. Girls Stride Rite 13 or larger, Boys 6 or larger.
Bethan_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #173
Registered Users

Co sleeping hands down, I got a few comments about extended nursing but they didn't really have any venom behind them and they let it go easily.

Co sleeping however... my mother in law was very very mean about it the entire time she was a baby, she gave up after about 2 years but still occasionally makes comments, and has only stopped because my daughter mostly sleeps in her own bed now.

She has already tried to buy me several bassinets for the new baby sigh..
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things donít always spoil the good things and make them unimportant- The Doctor
Kama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #174
Registered Users

I think just about everything I have done has freaked my family out because it was so "different" from the way my mom did things! And I am glad it freaked them out - at least I know that I am 'breaking the cycle"! It all started when I was pregnant with DD and announced that I would be BFing. No one is my family - other than my step-brothers wife - has breastfed. I guess that just started it off, then came CDing, BWing, co-sleeping, ERFing, and delayed vaxing. I have to say though that my sister that is 17 years younger than me has "crossed over to my side" and says that she and her husband plan on doing things like I did! (with the exception of CD but there's still time to work on her...they are TTC #1). I just LOVE freaking my family out!! haha
longin4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #175
Registered Users
My Mood:

CDing, nose wipes, and long term nursing....can't even imagine what they would think if they knew about my mamacloth!
Mama to DD 10, DD 8, DS 7, DS 5, and identical twin almost 1 year old girls born at 26 1/2 weeks and doing super! Thanking God every day for our blessings!!!
watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #176
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner

EVERYTHING. My family is very mainstream and closed minded. They thought CDs were disgusting for a while. They think co sleeping is a horrible idea because our DD will be "so spoiled". They are horrified that I want to nurse DD as a toddler and that we will not circumcise any sons we have. My family is so very annoying.
Hilary, head over heels wifey of a Coastie
Mama of Aubrey & Delaney
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #177

Formerly: momof_2girls
My Mood:

My side of the family is VERY "in" if you know what I mean but they are all about convenience as much as possible! And they are all big meat eaters too. They all think I'm absolutely insane! They just don't understand why someone would want to make parenting more difficult is what they would say. I'm not very close to that side of my family as we don't see eye to eye on many issues. And they have even gone as far as calling CPS on us because they disagreed with they way we parent. Sad thing is my cousin lets her son who is going to be 4 this Nov, sit in his car seat without doing the shoulder straps and only buckling the bottom. When I brought this to the attention of my aunt that her grandson wasn't being properly secured in his car seat I was told it was none of my business how others choose to parent and I shouldn't push my views on other people. 2 wks later I had CPS at my door saying my children were being neglected because we don't feed them enough and they are always dirty.

As for DH side of the family, my MIL doesn't exactly understand some of the things we choose but she always supports it and always follows our rules when she watches our kids. His grandma is the most amazing woman I've ever known! She had 7 children and she cloth diapered, lived on a very tight budget so she did lots of homemade, she birthed most of her children naturally (the first 2 children were born in a military hospital and they didn't give women ANY say and all women were strapped down and drugged then the baby was delivered for them). So she understand exactly where I'm coming from. She is also a much more open minded person then most people.
Desirea- I am the mama of 2 girls and 1 boy! We are a veggie loving, dirt digging, book reading, Waldorf schooling family!
momof_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:09 AM   #178
Registered Users

My mom used to give me a hard time about ERFing but then she finally looked at the videos I emailed her about it and I haven't heard a peep about it since. I think everyone thinks I'm crazy to still be nursing a 4 year old but they've learned to shut up about it. When I was pregnant with my oldest my mil could not understand why I would choose to see a midwife instead of a "real doctor" and asked constantly if they would allow me to see a real doctor at some point in my pregnancy. When I got pregnant with my second we had moved and she asked if I was able to find a "real doctor" I liked in our new city. I'm pretty sure her head almost exploded when I told her we were driving 1 1/2 hours to the birth center.

The cloth diapers got me some weird looks in the beginning and so did cosleeping. My mom (who is a L&D nurse) seemed to seek out every story about a baby dying in a parents bed in the beginning.
Awesome Heartsy Deals today! Get $5 credit for signing up and take advantage. Soaps, cookies and baby hats are all feature deals today!
Greenbabybottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:03 AM   #179
Registered Users

Mine was leaving my boy intact...everyone had something to say about it. I made sure to educate them and tell them just how horrible and barbaric it really is...made several of them feel guilty and change their way of thinking...and now I only hang out with crunchy people and none of my friends circumcise and we don't care if we're different, we like being different especially if protecting our child is involved.

ETA: My hubby thinks we got more comments on extended nursing and DS nursed until 26 months and everytime someone saw me they asked if he was still nursing...they never said anythng negative but made jokes about how he was going to nurse until he was in school, he'd never stop, and always wanted to know that was right up there with not circ'ing.

I must say most of the CD comments are positive, the non vax'ing comments, and babywearing are positive. ERF- people are confused.
Anna (26) wife to Kevin (29) ~very conservative, Jesus loving,
breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing,
extended rear facing, no-circ, no-vax, no-fluoride, proud SAHM/photographer mommy to
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog

Last edited by AnnaG01; 09-18-2010 at 09:07 AM.
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #180
Registered Users

My mom was really worried about us not vaxxing... She is great though and has never made me feel like an idiot for my parenting decisions. She just said she was worried but she trusts my parenting and if I don't want them to have vaccines then there must be a good reason for it.

The only thing that has ever gotten negative comments is not circ'ing. But for each negative comment I got one positive, so it balanced out lol. And it's mostly from friends although my brother did have some not-so-nice things to say.

ETA - just read the last few pages.... I guess I'm just lucky. I live in a small town and I figured people would be weirded out by my decisions but I know a few people who do a lot of what I do. At a birthday party for my friends daughter someone asked if we started DS on baby food yet and I said no and she said "we didn't start DS on solids until 6 months" and she breastfed until 8 months but had to stop because of medication her doc prescribed. I thought that was great (btw, none of my friends breastfed. they never even attempted it.) And my high school child care teacher BF until her son was 3.5, she doesn't vax or circ.
Jessica -- DD (9-11-08) DS (4-22-10) DD2 (3-38-12)

Last edited by jessicalev8; 09-18-2010 at 09:53 AM.
jessicalev8 is offline   Reply With Quote