Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #11
niftysmith
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

It started with FAM. I'm sure if I'd been more up on things three years ago, I could have a pretty savings in bets made as to how soon we'd be pregnant. Three years is good, and this pregnancy is hardly an accident. We wanted to start trying in May, and I was pregnant by the end of June.

Then, well, yes, there's cloth diapers. I'm pretty sure there are a few family members who think we're just gross or have gone off the deep end.

Me even mentioning I want an epidural to be an "option" instead of my "first choice" makes things even more entertaining.

However, if I've learned anything over the years, it's to have a sense of humor about my family.

Advertisement

letterpress printer + graphic designer open for business - my portfolio
niftysmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #12
WiggleBean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

We haven't told family members that we are having a homebirth. Knowing them as we do, we didn't want to spend a bunch of time defending our choice. They'll find out after.
WiggleBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #13
EarthMum
Registered Users
Formerly: Fallenangell44

I guess my food choices would be it. No HFCS, MSG, artificial sweeteners, hydrogenated oils etc. My mom thought I was a little crazy with mama cloth, until her church started selling them for the "hard times". Then she understood when THEY explained it to her . They were all shockingly on board with the CLing, BFing, no vaxing, co sleeping, ERF, home birth/midwife, and all the other crazy stuff we do. They even understood why I kept my son intact (although I had to explain). So I think I lucked out on missing a lot of nagging
Old 02-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #14
cupcakesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Co-Sleeping....we were spoiling the baby....you will squish her!
#2 surprise due in Nov 2014
cupcakesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:15 PM   #15
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Either leaving my sons intact or the home birth, lol. I don't know which freaked my parents out more
The midwife considers the miracle of childbirth as normal, and leaves it alone unless there's trouble. The obstetrician normally sees childbirth as trouble. If he leaves it alone, it's a miracle.-Sheila Stubbs
ClothDiaperMePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #16
cassondruh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

probably co-sleeping, and allowing DD to learn how to use the potty at her own pace, when she became interested.
cassondruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #17
EarthMum
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayneLeMaster View Post
my family:

co-sleeping , No CIO , a lilt weirded out by cloth diapering , and no one has ever BF in my family so i think that was as weird as they made it kwim?

My IL's:

having kids....and taking care of them , showing them we loved them , spending time with them over freinds/partying ...

im a nut cause I BF according to my MIL cause my son gets "off" on it, and we cant afford forumla.., im killing my kids cause we delay vax ( they get all the vax just not more than one at a time ) , co-sleeping , cloth diapering ( we must not be able to afford diapers while my son is wearing a 25$ diaper and 70$ woolies ) carseats after age two... we are worry warts, gentle discipline means we are sissys and are kids are going to take over the house in a couple years...

so yea lol my IL's suck

That would be tough.
I am really sorry about her nut case comments to you on BFing your son
Old 02-04-2010, 08:20 PM   #18
EarthMum
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassondruh View Post
probably co-sleeping, and allowing DD to learn how to use the potty at her own pace, when she became interested.
Oh yes, I forgot about this. I am getting nagged about getting them trained quickly. They have interest, and I let them act on it. I don't push, but apparently I should be.

OT but I LOVE your avi!
Old 02-04-2010, 08:22 PM   #19
ElToAnCy
Registered Users
seller

Pretty much everything for the inlaws. Co sleeping, extended breastfeeding, and no vaxing really through them over the edge.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:28 PM   #20
cereal527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't told any of them, but I think me using mama cloth and a diva cup would really push them over the edge.
cereal527 is offline   Reply With Quote