Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2010, 08:32 PM   #21
mmjones13
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

what ERF? My family questioned my all natural VBAC, extensive breastfeeding, bed sharing, and cloth diapering.

Advertisement

mmjones13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #22
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

Almost everyone was shocked by the cloth diapers. And now, some of them use cloth.

My mother was bothered by breastfeeding. "How long are you going to do that...?" was asked on more than one occasion.

MIL is irritated by co-sleeping, feeding on demand and babywearing. And calls the babies, "big sucks" for "needing" those things. As in, "Oh, you're fine, you big suck, you don't need her (being me)," and tries to rock them to sleep while they fuss, or better yet, tries to leave them to CIO. Not cool. Yet, she supports our diet choices and selective vaxing...
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:39 PM   #23
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cereal527 View Post
I haven't told any of them, but I think me using mama cloth and a diva cup would really push them over the edge.
None of my family know about the cup. But my GF's that do are completely off the charts about it. It is pretty funny, actually. I have one GF who I went to school with, and we had a friend who used a Keeper (older style, not sure if they are still around) and we used to laugh about it. So, when I got my Diva Cup and started using it and loved it, I HAD to share with her, and she was mortified.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:42 PM   #24
zacks_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, according to:
My inlaws:
CD-ing is a 'phase' DH and I are going thru, as is eating organic, glass bottles for the new baby, and since we dont spank, DS will not learn boundaries

My parents:
baby wearing meant the baby would never learn to walk, extended rear facing was me not wanting DS to grow up, baby sign language meant DS would never talk

Both sides thought since we didnt do CIO that DS would be extrememly spoiled and never sleep thru the night

I have NEVER mentioned my mama cloth to either side. Only DH (and some friends) knows that secret...
Old 02-04-2010, 08:42 PM   #25
macksvolmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love this thread.
I could care less what my IL's think, they are so out of the loop it is not even funny, they do not have any idea about what I do with my kids!

My family was in disbelievement (is that a word?) that I wanted to BF, but totally supportive about it, now I am extended bfing and my sisters are not so sure about it, but they are younger than me so they don't give me a hard time. They totally don't get the whole cd'ing thing! I think it grosses my mom out
Surprisingly, my mom completely agrees with me not vaccinating
We cosleep and I am always getting flack for that!
Recently I have taken my dd's to see a chiropractor and they really think that is out there!
macksvolmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:50 PM   #26
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

delayed vaccinations for sure! Next on the list is homeschooling lol

myall4him2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:50 PM   #27
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

The ones I get the most grief over are the selective vaxxing, especially when everyone was so petrified over H1N1 - I got daily emails from FIL about the location and times of local clinics and ERF, but I get an anonymous OPP officer to blame for that one. My SIL was convinced that I was wrong about ERF and she found someone who she thinks knows more than me to agree, so therefore I'm wrong. Yes, cause some random police officer, who might have taken a car seat course at some point in the last 20 years obviously knows more than someone who's done extensive recent research...... My mother seems to think there's some safety hazard to me leaving her RF, but hasn't been able to tell me what it is.....

I've had a few comments about how gross CDing is, but they do have to admit that they work well and cost a lot less. The cloth wipes freaks some people out, but I ignore that. Making my own babyfood actually won me some fans - people got that, although between CDing and babyfood somehow I got elevated to supermom status.....that I don't get.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #28
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

(my parents are divorced)

Dad- not getting any and every shot they invent

Mom- not circing.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #29
JennyWLS
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am far from the crunchiest, but my family thinks I am absolutely crazy because of: breastfeeding, cloth diapering, making my own baby food.

They have no idea that I only scratched the surface

Our Total Money Makeover Blog
JennyWLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #30
Trin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

MY family is pretty open to everything... extended BFing seemed to bother my older sister. I am not really sure why but she was always trying to convince me I had to wean DD. it was something she would bring up often, asking if she still nursed, why I hadn't weaned her yet, why she thought it DD was too old.. blah blah blah.
DD self weaned at 2.

The inlaws... well, they think everything I do is crazy! They love that I CD (most of them anyways, I have received some weird looks), they had no idea why I would even BF DD in the first place let alone until 2, Cosleeping is another one they think is absurd... I just don't really discuss parenting with them

I did have my sister in law (17) tell me that she thought it was so awesome that DD was bf for so long and she said she wanted to be able to do the same thing one day.

Oh.. I lied. I guess my family (besides my mom and 2 of my sisters) all think that ERFing is me being overprotective and extreme... but it appears that almost every person in this town thinks that way.

Last edited by Trin; 02-04-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Trin is offline   Reply With Quote