Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2010, 11:54 PM   #41
mommyof3co
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

The biggest thing for us has been not vaccinating...my MIL and her bf have brought it up a few times, one time even brought us a Parents magazine that she STOLE from her dr's office because it had an article called "taking the fear out of vaccines"...she told us "here i thought this might make you change your mind".

Also Hayden still rear facing bugs her, she is always saying "poor you having to sit facing backwards", "you can't see anything you poor thing".

The other stuff she hasn't really said anything about, she nursed my DH for over 2yrs so that wasn't a big deal at all, she's never said anything about us cosleeping and was really interested in the cloth diapers when we started.

Advertisement

Old 02-05-2010, 12:22 AM   #42
mommyz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

My side of the family is supportive with our choices but one..the number of kids we have... my parents and grandmother think I should get *fixed.*

My IL's think all of our choices are crazy. My MIL ALWAYS asks if I'm still solely breastfeeding but in a way like, "that's ALL the baby is getting to eat? how can that be?" Oh and they think I should get *fixed* too.

**PLZ EMAIL ME IF YOU NEED ME!**
mommyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:06 AM   #43
Trin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennamathis View Post
With DS, everybody was the most freaked out by breastfeeding...then they were more freaked out when he nursed until he was 20 months old. Nobody bats an eye at 20 month DD nursing now.
We got a lot not-so-nice comments about co-sleeping with DS...at a family party, my sister asked quite loudly "how do you get to have sex?" to which I equally loudly replied "easy, the couch you're sitting on is great for it" and then we announced our pregnancy with DD...the whole thing kind of shut everybody up after that lol
I'd been CD'ing for a few months by the time DD arrived, but everybody was suprised that we stuck with it with two kids in diapers and a VERY small stash at the time. I was literally washing diapers everyday, and when the rotovirus vax gave her rotovirus, I was washing diapers 2 to 3 times a day...everybody was so sure I would quit after that, but we didn't One of my sisters is going to school for nursing and originally did not approve of the delayed vax schedule we chose for DD...but after showing her the research, she's now a big advocate. Practically every paper she has to write is on the dangers of vaccinations and the benefits of delayed/selective schedules and not vaxing IL's know there is no point in arguing with me so don't even try.

I have had my aunt say something similar to me as well.. basically just saying that if DD didn't sleep in her own bed at night we would never get pregnant again, I told her "You know it doesn't have to be in a bed, or at night right?"
Trin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:27 AM   #44
Edensmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

All of them.

Cosleeping, baby wearing, breast feeding, cloth diapering, delayed vaxing, no cry it out, home birthing, natural birth, etc.
My family is better about it than DH's though.
Edensmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:31 AM   #45
an_aurora
Registered Users

My mom was easy...I was a UC baby, BF'd until 2.5, CD'd, etc. She's totally 100% on board with not vaxing or circ'ing and talked my brother and SIL out of circ'ing their 2nd son! She is also all about unschooling and co-sleeping. She called me horrified because my 2 yo niece is FF. My mom rocks.

My ILs...they are against everything. They were horrified about us not vaxing but I showed them the Catholic church's statement and they were ok...until we had a boy...then my FIL bugged my DH every freaking day that we needed to circ cause it's cleaner blah blah blah...they know better to mention it now though.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:01 AM   #46
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

Hehe I don't think I can freak my family out about anything, I learned it all from the best, my momma. We really don't broadcast how we live, we just do our thing, and I don't think too many people pay that close of attention to it. I'm sure a few people on both sides thought/think a few things were/are weird but nobody has made a big deal about it. Out of anyone I guess my MIL has said the most but that's what MIL's are supposed to do.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:25 AM   #47
simplykat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We haven't gotten a lot of slack. My parents are pretty supportive, my mom has actually told me she wishes she would have had to info i do when she'd had my sis and i. My Dad is a lil weirded out by my continued bfing, but mom has told him to shut up about it lol
My Nana has something to say about everything, but i just shrug it off b/c of her generation of "doctors are gods mentality"

My MIL and SMIL (husbands Mom and partner) and awesome, and were both very natural parents in their own way - extended bfing, no circ etc)

My other SMIL on the other hand (husbands Dads partner) thinks I"m a nut case for not circing (she lectured me in the hosp for it with ds!) thinks that we drink raw milk is weird, is judgemental that we stopped vaxing (we don't really talk about this one) and can't get over the homeschooling thing (she is a secretary in an elementary school, so always talking about testing etc....) She also makes fun of my son for still nursing and says he's going to be a sissy b/c i don't cut his hair. Mind you none of these things are said with malice, just humour, but still.
BUt, i think she's weird for her shopping addiction and love of chemical cleaners lol

Everyone has their opinions!

Wanna check our our Challenge?
http://boaktree.wordpress.com/
simplykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:45 AM   #48
mamatje
Registered Users

It's funny because my inlaws would be freaked out if we did circ or vax on schedule - it seems like in Europe things are so different. You only circ for religious reasons there, never anything else. And MMR/autism awareness is bigger in the UK than here by a huge margin. It's funny how we can be so different!
mamatje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:46 AM   #49
RoadBuddy
Registered Users

Oddly enough, the only real issue was TV-free until 2.

Breastfeeding till 2, delayed vax, cosleeping, cloth diapering, no circ, natural birth, etc all went over with no problems, but mention the TV and people get so defensive. It's bizarre because I see some of the other choices as more controversial. I mean, if someone really believes delayed vaxing or cosleeping are dangerous, I can understand why they'd suggest we do otherwise, but TV is just so...insignificant.
RoadBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:49 AM   #50
elsieme
Registered Users

MIL: homebirth. They gave her general anesthesia when she gave birth to DH!!! And then DH 'didn't want to nurse' -surprise! (How times have changed.) But she's korean and has been totally supportive of cosleeping and EC and EBF.

My side: EC - "what are you doing to that baby now?" "um, taking her to the potty because she needs to go?" Haven't shared family cloth yet, they're still getting over handkerchiefs that we've started using!
elsieme is offline   Reply With Quote