Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2010, 07:49 AM   #51
JamieJLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadBuddy View Post
Oddly enough, the only real issue was TV-free until 2.

Breastfeeding till 2, delayed vax, cosleeping, cloth diapering, no circ, natural birth, etc all went over with no problems, but mention the TV and people get so defensive. It's bizarre because I see some of the other choices as more controversial. I mean, if someone really believes delayed vaxing or cosleeping are dangerous, I can understand why they'd suggest we do otherwise, but TV is just so...insignificant.
It's funny you say this, because this is also the choice that freaks out our extended family the most! My family and my ILs are pretty supportive of the extended BFing, co-sleeping with an infant, cloth diapers, and extended rear facing. Some of those things gave them concern, but after I explained our reasoning they were supportive.

But the TV... oh my gosh. My ILs just can't understand why my 21 month old doesn't watch TV. Almost every week they ask "what are DD's favorite shows? What characters does she like?" And every week we tell them that she doesn't watch TV. They just seem so shocked. They don't argue with us about it or anything, but I really think they cannot wrap their minds around a toddler who doesn't watch TV.

Advertisement

JamieJLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:58 AM   #52
MaxCapacity
Registered Users
Formerly: newfluffma
seller

My Mood:
Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

Pretty much the cloth diapers & mama cloth. My dad's side of the family seems uncomfortable with bfing to some degree but has never said anything to me about it. After the fact, a lot of my family was amazed that I'd don't "natural" births. A few of them just asked "why would you DO that when epi's are available???"
Old 02-05-2010, 08:16 AM   #53
Skittle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It was non-vaxing for us. My family didn't know ANYTHING about it but I sat down with them and now my mom is not going to vax my little sister. My mom still used cloth on us so it wasn't a big deal, she was just wondering why all this work . She co-slept with my sister and still does very often (my sister will be turning 10) and she breastfed her until she turned 4.
My grandma saw my mama cloth and thought it was pretty cool lol. They where using rags and cotton back when she was young. They think it's funny I make my own soap.

DH's mom is on board with everything we do. And she's actually happy that we don't wax.

Last edited by Skittle; 02-05-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Skittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:23 AM   #54
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My ILs have a major issue with delayed/ selective vax, and we had a HUGE blow up about the H1N1 vax (we obviously chose not to get that one), they have no idea we co-sleep with DS2 and i know they would flip out. My MIL thinks it is horrible that I babywear because it keeps other people from getting to hold the baby (My idea exactly, He is mine ya know and I do let people I want to hold the baby do so) I cater to his screaming (reflux), and feed on demand which is going to cause him to be fat. Give me a break his dad is 6ft tall and still only weighs 145 wet. I don't think their genes will allow them to be fat There is a huge list that goes on and on about our parenting.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #55
elibellij
Registered Users

My family is pretty open to my "wacky" ideas. They know I'm a nut about doing research, so they tend to just take my word for it. My dad thinks cloth diapering is gross though, haha.

It helps when the mainstream starts to catch up to the research though. Like with extended rear facing...I was sooooo happy that the infant car seat my in laws just bought us (keyfit) had clearly on the box "Stay Safer Longer! Rear faces to 30lbs" or something to that effect. I felt that it validated what I'd been telling them all along. They still have a bit of the "but he wants to look out the window!" thing going on (and actually, DS1 is now forward facing since he is over the 35 lbs limit on his "big boy" car seat, but with the baby on the way we'll get on that goes to 40 or higher!), but they don't fuss with me at all.

What I've found is that our grandparents are the hardest to get around. Our cousin has a 6 month old, and from the time he was a brand new baby my DH's grandmother was saying "why does she nurse him so much? Shouldn't he be on a schedule? She's still nursing him on demand!" and "In my day we didn't need car seats. My kids just stood where they wanted!"

It takes a lot to not roll one's eyes
elibellij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:37 AM   #56
VeryChicBaby
Registered Users
Formerly: jenny342
seller

My Mood:

Cloth diapers for sure.. We don't discuss non-vax. Its nobodys business...
Oh - the ILs think we are terrible because the lo can't drink soda or tea...

I know.. I know.. terrible parenting over here..

Jenny, Mama to many, 16, 14, 11, & 3 & & 10 mth baby girl!!

~Custom Recycled Wool Shoes ~ & Leather, OBV & Fabric Soft Soles

Last edited by VeryChicBaby; 02-05-2010 at 08:38 AM.
VeryChicBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:47 AM   #57
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Bf'ing past the first week and cloth diapers. Oh and making baby food because I must've spent all my non-working hours pureeing food. No one except my mom thought it was worth it for me to do these things. AND my daughter still being rearfacing and she is *gasp* 14 months old! And I just remembered how everyone thought we were setting up our boys for years of medical issues because we don't circ....I think that's all for now
Old 02-05-2010, 08:47 AM   #58
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My mom has always been cool with my parenting choices. She realizes that she raised her kids and made her own choices, and now it's my turn. So she supports my decisions.

My step mom however... is freaked out that we co-sleep and was VERY concerned (and made sure that I KNEW it) about co-sleeping. She was just so afraid I was going to smother my child in my sleep.

She couldn't believe I was cloth diapering (neither could my older sis).

They were (are) concerned that I'm giving birth at a birthing center instead of a hospital.

And my older sis thinks it's nuts that I am not giving my self the option of an epidural.

So um. .yeah, pretty much most of my "natural" parenting choices! LOL

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #59
Sleep deprived
Registered Users

My in-laws were a little weirded out at first by breastfeeding, because it was not de rigeur in the early 70s when DH was small.

Howver, since the benefits of breastfeeding have been touted heavily on the early-morning talk shows in the last few years, they had to balance their discomfort with their desire for DS to have the best everything, ever, always.

The last time MIL was up, she said she wished she'd known to try breastfeeding DH, as he was very nearly failure to thrive on formula, and DS is a fat little thing.
Sleep deprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:26 AM   #60
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My family is very supportive of all we do...vocally. I think sometimes my mom thinks I'm silly, but she knows how stubborn I am so she says nothing judgmental.

The inlaws don't know that much about what we do with DS. On top of that, my SIL paved the way with a alot of the "natural" stuff so we're not hearing about it. She did.

Some family friends thought we'd give up CD. One even bought us a HUGE box of wipes at the shower b/c I said we were using cloth wipes. She said we'd use those more than we knew. I will STILL have those wipes when DS is potty trained!

GREAT thread!!
Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote