Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #71
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

MIL was a bit concerned by our non-vax, but either is okay with it now or realizes it is our choice. My mother helped talk me into vaxxing initially and then was very supportive when we decided not to anymore (told me if she had known the things she found out later in life, she wouldn't have vaxxed us kids... doesn't explain why she told me to vax DD in the first place Whatever...)
MIL and my mom both think our co-sleeping should be wrapping up soon (or last week That seems to be the only thing that comes close to 'freaking them out' that I am aware of. They think that I should just put her in her room alone for a few nights and let her scream and that she'll be fine after a few days. Yeah... Totally not happening, I am not desperate. She'll mosey on into her own bed eventually.

Everything else they seem to think is 'different', 'neat', 'I wish I had...' or they just quietly observe and see that it works for us.

Advertisement

If there are any typos or grammatical errors I was probably NAK, apologies in advance!
Squig'sMumMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:00 PM   #72
bellasophy04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

Unassisted birth of my youngest 2.

bellasophy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #73
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My mom sort of questioned things at first but converted rather quickly and is very interested esp in the food and nutrition area.

MIL--HMMM where to start. Breastfeeding, cding, vegan, not allowing her to give my son foods she randomly comes over with (mcdonalds cookies....) Not using chemicals or bleach to clean things.. There is more but I am in a good mood so I do not want to talk about my MIL right now.LOL
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:08 PM   #74
LillyIvy
Registered Users
seller

I have an old stash of cloth dipes that I just won't use anymore. I have tried talking two friends into them. Both times I got the "Ew, but what if they baby poops?!"

Placentophagy. Even though the only placenta I've SEEN in my life was my sister's daughters. I am very much planning this, and you should have seen the look on my mom's face when I mentioned it I'm not even MENTIONING it to my IL's, let alone my UC plans with them. Yeah, my mom is of course freaked about that as well.

Breastfeeding= NOT an issue with anyone. The only thing that was said about it was my FIL when she was LITTLE (like 9 days old I think ), I excused myself to their bedroom to feed her, he says "Oh, she gets the GOOD stuff" Not sure what they're gonna say if I successfully BF this babe past a year
Old 02-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #75
beaute_marquee
Registered Users

My Mood:

My mom didn't think I would last with cd or bf (I gave up on cd for awhile, but bfed ods for a year), but everyone was supportive. Not vaccinating is the big one for my ils. They are foster parents, and literally don't have the option, but they can't imagine choosing not to. I had several convos with mil before she would agree to disagree. She doesn't plan to do the gardasil one, though.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:01 PM   #76
Newton
Registered Users

My family couldn't figure out breastfeeding past 3 months - and not introducing solids until 6 months and then only a tiny bit until about 9 months.
My family is very supportive of CDing.
We won't go into DH's family - they just think I'm nuts, never mind the choices I make.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:53 PM   #77
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My family: Cloth Diapering and nursing past age 1. My bro's fiance and my bro still think I am hurting DD by having her RFing since her legs are going to break. He's a freakin' engineer...this should be common sense to him! My mom doesn't understand my carrier obsession. She thinks they are a waste of money and DFS is fine in his exersaucer. But DH kind of told her off about it, and she's kept her mouth shut recently.

DH's family: nothing really freaks them out. The thinks I'm crazy to CD for the work involved, but was never mean about it or anything. MIL BF, CD'ed, co-slept, and slings weren't popular back then but loves my carriers. SIL nursed her son til he was almost 3, so me nursing DD was normal. She even had my nephew in a harnessed seat til age 5, though I don't think she ERF'd. I wasn't around enough to know, and didn't know about that kind of stuff back then.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:29 PM   #78
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My family gave me the most crap when I was pregnant and I told them about everything I *wanted* to do. I wanted a non medicated birth and they kept telling me to "keep my options open" and just wouldn't let it go. Unfortunately I wound up with an epi so that doesn't help :-/

Co-Sleeping is a huge deal in their minds, way too dangerous. DS is actually in a co-sleeper, and will be as long as we see fit. They don't mind the co-sleeper, but think he should be in his crib asap.

Now that we have DS, delayed vaxxing in the biggest issue. They don't say much, but when they do, ugh.

When I told everyone of my plans to BF and I told my aunt, she said, "well after a year he'll get formula anyway." and when I said no, he'll nurse as long as he wants? "oh my gosh- what about when he has teeth? You CAN'T do that. You CAN'T. It's NOT RIGHT." Unfortunately again, not able to nurse. Everyone's been very supportive of my pumping though.

Everyone's okay with CD'ing. They're okay with making my own food, but totally disagreed with delaying solids. But now that I've started trying out rice cereal for certain reasons, and I let him try real fruits and veggies my aunt has had a heart attack. "He's too young. Can he have that? No, are you sure that's okay??" Make up your mind already, geez!

I'm sure there's more I can't think of right now. Oh! Family and Mama Cloth. We don't use it personally, but my mom & dad saw some mama cloth that I made as a custom and freaked out when i told them what it was for. I mean, freaked lol

My In-Laws don't say anything for the most part. But I can tell they don't agree with certain things. They didn't agree with the delaying solids and had a very "told ya so" attitude when I tried rice cereal. MIL was always very annoyed when she asked when DS was going to get juice and I said "not until after he's 2, if that early. He doesn't need the sugar."

My grandparents are the most supportive- they just want to see my happy, want to enjoy their great grandson, and as long as we're all safe and happy they could care less what we do.

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:38 PM   #79
susanmag
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great topic-

Vaxs was huge- my daughter had a reaction to one and that was it for us- they all freaked and the Extended Bfing-Oh how messed up was my DD, but when they nurse until 3 you gotta expect some grief
susanmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:48 PM   #80
EricaLynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My Parents~ (or my mom rather, my dad keeps his trap shut )
Midwives/natural birth
Co Sleeping

My In-Laws~ Breastfeeding past 6 weeks, and NIP omgosh hide that booby!
Natural birth/midwives
Eating healthy/organic/non processed food
Cding, 'you will hate it, baby will get a rash' etc etc
No Circ, I am still getting flack about this and ds is 4 months old MIL actually told me it was 'gross' and 'the most disgusting thing ever'

Of everything, the no circ is by far the largest issue. Its so stupid, even dh's sister tries to get involved. Im sorry girl, but you are 21, have no children and havent read a single article about it. I dont care if you think it looks gross
EricaLynn is offline   Reply With Quote