Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2010, 08:59 AM   #1
katesmash
Registered Users
seller

TMI - discharge and smell?

I can't believe I'm actually writing about this, but I don't want to waste a trip to the doctor if I dont' have to.

I've already had what I'm pretty sure was a yeast infection earlier in this pregnancy (treated on my own with over-the-counter Canestin cream)... and I'm used to having *some* discharge... but the last week or so, it's been more discharge, it's been runnier, my umm...labia was swollen yesterday and really uncomfortable. I think my perineum was too (as best as I could see with a mirror) I'm also getting redness kind of like a heat rash or something in the spaces between my legs and my underwear. And a bit of a smell too (but all I can find about smells and discharge talk about a "fishy" smell... and I thought mine smelled more like... crackers?)
I thought maybe I was getting another yeast infection but now I'm not sure, because that's supposed to be odorless?

ETA - I'm about 28 weeks now, if that matters.

Advertisement

Last edited by katesmash; 02-05-2010 at 09:01 AM.
katesmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
Zabibaby
Registered Users
Formerly: rose_hesh
seller

My Mood:
Re: TMI - discharge and smell?

I would definitely go to the doctor.
Not mean to scare you, I mean I had infections, UTI while pregnant but if the OTC medication did not work then you might need some prescription drug.
Visit Zabi Babyfor all your diapering needs. Nikky Covers, Weehuggers, GroVia, Little Comfort, Bum Genius and more. Our own sized Indian prefolds. Lay Away and Free shipping on most items. Licensed to embroider Ooga Booga. Coupon code DSM5 - 10% off Try our new bamboo flats!
Zabi Baby on Facebook
Zabibaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
Mommyplunder
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It could be that your chemicals are off due to the pregnancy. I had this a lot with my last pregnancy. You will need to go to the doctor and they have to give you a special antibiotic for it to get you normal agian and there's a gel that you can put down there to relieve the irratation but I'm sure you could use an OTC cream too.

I'm told it can be common during pregnancy due to the large hormone changes and I had to be treated for it a lot in my last pregnancy because it kept happening. It feels horrible and makes you feel yucky but it's nothing that you did or didn't do.

And make sure they really test you (they'll have to get a culutre), the first person I saw just told me I was hyper sensitive and that it would go away. It didn't, it got worse and I was miserable. I went back and saw my doctor and she apologized and was sorry that the previous practitioner was wrong and didn't even do a culture causeing me to suffer for another week.

Hope that helps.
I am now blessed to be a SAHM to my 3 LOs R (1/1/99), E (4/7/02) and L (4/8/09) and very lucky to be with the love of my life where not only is he the father to my children but my best friend and hero. I follow a celtic pagan tradition and I'm becoming crunchier by the day. I enjoy knitting, sewing and making things with my hands.
Mommyplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
katesmash
Registered Users
seller

I've been trying to call my OB's office, but it looks like her office is closed. My family doctor retired a little over a month ago, but another doctor in her clinic will see her patients, so I called. I got an appointment in 2 hours. I'll ask him to do a culture to make sure we know exactly what this is.

Thanks for the advice! I knew in my head that I should go see a doc, as this seems different than the last yeast infection I had... I'm too scared that it might be an infection that could hurt the baby or cause premature labour or something, so I'm going today!

ETA - with my last pregnancy, I had an undiagnosed kidney infection for a bit, that put me into constant contractions around 35 weeks or so. I spent 2 days in the hospital on antibiotics and antinausea meds but thankfully they stopped the contractions. THAT was more painful then actual labor!

Last edited by katesmash; 02-05-2010 at 09:45 AM.
katesmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think i saw ona commercial (here int he states) that 2 out of 3 yeast infections that are assumed, and treated over the counter, arn't yeast infections at all. I'd go in to be sure. Yeast can be a beast! (giggle, couldnt' help it!)
Old 02-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
katesmash
Registered Users
seller

LOL thanks Tina
Old 02-05-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
kidpsych2be
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah I'd go see a doc, for sure. Smells are never good.

I thought you were going to post about the general stank of the pregnancy discharge slash peeing yourself all day? 'Cause boy isn't that just boat loads of fun??
Old 02-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
McMamma38
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidpsych2be View Post
Yeah I'd go see a doc, for sure. Smells are never good.

I thought you were going to post about the general stank of the pregnancy discharge slash peeing yourself all day? 'Cause boy isn't that just boat loads of fun??
That's what I thought too.

To op--hope you get relief soon.If it's a yeasty/bready smell it could be resistent yeast.
GL at your apt.Fun fun.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:27 PM   #9
zacks_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

FYI-
between the dribbling myself and constant discharge...I also learned I was allergic to something in my pantiliners, so I switched to mama cloth (no more stink). My girl parts were so swollen, itchy, and I actually had small tears in that area due to itching/chaffing that lead to an infection in that area. Loads of fun...
Old 02-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
princemelissas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd contact the doc just to make sure. I remember with DS#2 I had a horrible discharge but it just turned out to be a chemical reaction from the pressure on my cervix.
princemelissas is offline   Reply With Quote