Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #11
Ducko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mamas who bake their own bread...

I typically use two different recipes (one is whole wheat one is about 3/4 to 1/4 white). I use home ground wheat, but have the best luck with white wheat over the red wheat. But I've used both in this recipe. Found at http://everydayfoodstorage.net/2009/03/11/making-homemade-bread-the-food-storage-recipe-challenge/food-storage-recipes

EZ Wheat Bread recipe

1 1/4 cup warm water
1 Tblsp active dry yeast
1/4 cup honey or 1/3 cup sugar
2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour (or whatever combination white/wheat you like..I use 100% hard white wheat. To learn more about the different types of wheat, download my wheat handout)
1/4 cup wheat gluten
1 tsp salt
2 Tblsp nonfat non instant dry milk
1 Tblsp butter/margarine/oil
1 Tblsp vinegar
1/4 cup potato flakes (NOT potato pearls)

Mix ingredients in order listed in mixing bowl of mixer with dough hook attachment (like kitchen-aid) for 12-15 minutes. Let rise until double, 1- 1 1/2 hours. Punch down, and shape into loaf or rolls. Let rise again until double and bake 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes until golden brown and sounds hollow when lightly tapped.
If you are making this recipe in a bread machine, follow your bread machine’s directions for wheat or whole grain selection and add the ingredients in the order listed for their recommendations. (only one loaf will fit in a bread maker)

Advertisement

Wife to Eric. SAHM to Gray (6/08) and Seth (4/10)
Ducko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #12
esoloj
Registered Users
seller

Adding dough enhancer and vital wheat gluten will help a ton! That's my secret, and I use a Bosch to knead the dough.....LOVE it!!!!
Old 02-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #13
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The problem is that whole wheat flour is lower in gluten than a typical white bread flour, so either replace some ww with white (like 1/4 of amount) or add vital wheat gluten to allow the bread to rise enough. If you add vital wheat gluten, then you can convert almost any bread recipe to a successful ww bread recipe.
We have a bread maker and our usual recipe is approx. 2/3 ww flour, 1/3 white bread flour and it's always yummy.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote