Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
Wanderlust
Registered Users
Formerly: jen**eth
seller

Question **UPDATE Post #1**No Cocoa Butter!?!?

Ok- one of my coworkers is pregnant as well. She goes to meetings for pregnant women in her due date month and they have a nurse/midwife give them information, answers questions, etc. I don't go to them because I'm considered high risk and see an OBGYN/high risk doctor 2-3 times a month.

My coworker said that at the last meeting, the nurse told the group that they shouldn't use cocoa butter because it contains caffeine and gets absorbed to the babies. I know that cocoa does contain caffeine- but always assumed it was miniscule in the lotion. I've never heard not to use cocoa butter during pregnancy

Has anyone else been told this? I have an appointment with my OBGYN on Monday so I'll ask him then. But I'm curious to hear what other mamas have to say.

Update:
Ok - I guess cocoa butter IS a no-no. My OBGYN said he himself didn't even realize this until within the past 2 years. He's had a few patients whose babies have had heart arythmias (sp?) from all the caffeine they absorbed from the cocoa butter. Once he told them to stop using cocoa butter, the heart beats went back to normal. He also said the ladies whose babies had issues with the caffeine were also slathering cocoa butter on them 4-6 times per day. I know this is only a small percentage, but I'm not going to risk it. I'm off to buy some CJ's BUTTer for my skin itchies!

My OBGYN did say that I could still use cocoa butter, but he only suggested using it once a day and only a tiny amount.

Advertisement

Last edited by Wanderlust; 02-08-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: No Cocoa Butter!?!?

Cocoa butter is the only reason I don't have strech marks from DD. She is just fine by the way, one of the healthiest 21 month olds around. I think that cocoa butter is fine, and I will continue to use it. (you may just get kicked a few extra times by your "hyped" up twins) lol
Old 02-05-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
ShiloMW
Registered Users

I used cocoa butter with my pregnancies, but I also drank a cup of coffee a day to stay regular...all my babies are healthy!
ShiloMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:54 AM   #4
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have never used cocoa butter but I LOVED the belly butter by Clear Hills Honey Co. You will get stretch marks if you are destined for them ,no other way. I had a couple itty bitty lines from ds (9.2 lbs at 37 weeks) and got a bunch from dd ( 8.9lbs at 36 weeks), my belly just gave up the second time around
Old 02-06-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think cocoa butter is prob 10x safer then a cup or coffee or soda...but i dont' think either has proven to be harmful to a fetus, especially after the first trimester, which is likely when you'd start using the lotions
Old 02-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Never heard of this, but I never found anything actually works to prevent stretch marks. If you're going to get them, you will get them. You just might not get at itchy if you use something

Holland Grace is here! (14/4/2013)
delicatefade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
BootyGold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know..that seems kind of crazy to me

Its not like caffeine is highly dangerous during pregnancy. You just shouldn't have more than 200mg
Old 02-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #8
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller

I only used it with my first, and ironically he was the only one I got stretch marks with

OrangeBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #9
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i think you'll end up with more caffeine in your baby from eating 2 hershey kisses than rubbing down with cocoa butter!! lol
Old 02-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I think that sounds a little silly, honestly. If you're worried, olive oil is good for pregnant bellies too!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote