Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Really bad diaper rash after using prefolds and Flips?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question but I figure yall would be able to help me anyway! Today was the 5th day of my son being exclusively diapered with Flip diapers. Before that we used disposable. He never gets diaper rashes. I bought some Gerber prefolds from Walmart just to have extras if I get low on inserts or to double up with at night. He has worn 1 or 2 of those a day each day he has been wearing Flip, and I ended up ordering more Flip inserts this weekend because the prefolds don't pull the moisture away at all and they stink really bad. I put one on him around 6:30 tonight and around 8:15 he starting crying hysterically out of nowhere. He never does this, he is a very happy baby and never cries more than a minute. I decided to check his diaper and there was some poop and of course it was soaking wet. When I went to wipe him his entire bottom was bright red and he screamed like crazy when the wipe touched him. I put some desitin and and left him naked for a few minutes and he finally calmed down. He is OK now, but every few minutes he makes a wimpering sound. What the heck? Like I said, he never gets rashes so I don't really know what to do. Do you think it is the prefold causing this? The rash literally came out of nowhere, and he was wearing a stay dry and had no redness before I put the prefold on. I didn't even know a rash could be so bad it would make a baby scream like that. Could it be something in his poop or pee that he ate? He hasn't really had anything different today. It would break my heart if the Flips were causing the rash! Any ideas as to what is going on or tips on diaper rash I would so appreciate! Also, is it OK to use desitin with cloth diapers? I also have california baby stuff.

Advertisement

Solomon's Mama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:
Re: Really bad diaper rash after using prefolds and Flips?

Desitin is not safe for cloth diapers, it will stain. You can use it, just put a fleece liner on top of the cloth (you can cut up an old baby blanket if you don't have any liners) Thats what we do. Desitin is the best at clearing a rash!

What type of inserts are you using? All cotton? Some babies don't do well with wet cotton diapers against their skin and get rashy, but the sudden onset makes me think detergent reaction. What detergent are you using and are you rinsing really really well?

If its a wetness reaction, using fleece liners with your flips will help. And changing frequently!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
joy_jaeger
Registered Users
seller

I was thinking it might be a detergent reaction as well....are you using a clean-rinsing deterg and an extra rinse cycle?
joy_jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
Faithsa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know that desitin is a no for cloth diapers, you'll end up having to strip the diapers. My question would be what detergent are you using? My LO gets red if he's in a poopy dipe too long, he's a bit acidic. The biggest difference between the flips, prefolds vs disposables is that you wash them. It is possible that your LO is having a reaction to the detergent you're using. He may be fine with his clothes, but it could change when you introduce urine and poo.

HTH - poor baby. I hope he feels better soon. I've heard CJ's BUTTer is great stuff and very cd friendly. She's CJbug on DS.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
thebrg
Registered Users
seller

We are battling a bad rash too and we have been using Flips for a few months with no problems. So, I figured out our problem was that I just re-introduced grapes into her diet. The last few dirty diapers have just made her cmpletely inflamed. I have stopped eeding her grapes so we will see.
thebrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am using Purex Free and Clear. It was on a list I saw of approved detergents for cloth diapers and its cheap! All of his stuff was washed with it before he ever wore it and it was washed again Sunday morning. I would think that if it was a reaction to the detergent it would have shown up a lot sooner...but maybe this particular prefold just didn't rinse well. I prewashed/rinsed cold no detergent and then washed hot with detergent but I only rinsed once after that. Should I have rinsed twice? The only thing different in his diet was that he ate some blackberries with his breakfast yesterday, but he has pooped like 4 times since so how could it be that? Also, does anyone know if California Baby products are OK for cloth diapers? Thanks for your help!!
By the way, we changed his diaper again before bed (he is wearing disposables since I put desitin on him) and the rash had calmed down some.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:25 PM   #7
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and the prefolds are the birdseye cotton and the flip inserts are the cottonbabies site says the fabric is polyester and polyamide
Old 02-08-2010, 10:48 PM   #8
jfoley
Registered Users

I would guess that one of two things is the problem:
1. The detergent. My kids have super sensitive skin and have gotten rashes from seemingly mild detergents. We have had a lot of luck with Country Save working well on the diapers but not bothering skin.

2. Maybe he just doesn't do well with wetness against his skin. Try and see if using the stay dry inserts helps.

Also, I've used California Baby creams with no staining problems. I also like Weleda cream, and both have been good for my kids' sensitive skin.

I hope the rash clears up quickly! I know how miserable it is for both mama and baby to deal with a bad rash!
jfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #9
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It just seems strange to me that it could be the detergent. I'm not kidding when I say that this kid has never had a diaper rash! Every now and then after a big poop he will be a little red right around his little butt hole (for lack of a better term sorry!) but it clears up immediately with a little desitin. I don't even wash his clothes in baby detergent, he has super tough skin!
Old 02-09-2010, 12:46 AM   #10
Shawna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have to run another wash cycle with out detergent here or my dd's bottom will break out in a bleeding rash. Even the ones that were suppose to be clean rinsing.

Ecomom deal from plum district.
Shawna is offline   Reply With Quote