Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-26-2006, 02:00 PM   #1
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:
More carseat stuff, LOL

Where are all the technicians? LOL I have a Graco snugride (a little less than two years old) and two bases, blah blah. My sister has another Snugride (maybe closer to five years old). Do you think hers would work in my base? I'm trying to contact Graco support but the emailing thing is REALLY pissing me off (they suck!) and they're observing memorial day for whoever knows HOW LONG! My sister lives in Ohio and would be bringing hers up to me in July if it would work. I'd just hate for her to bring it if it's not going to work.
My other question is: do you think that they'd sell the pads (the thing with the actual fabric on it) separately? Our car seats are both literally pretty boyish colors - and with all those people always asking if babies are a boy or a girl (can't they tell from the colors?!) I just wanted to get the carseats in pink instead. I'd really rather not have to buy new - this twin thing is really expensive in the first place. Thanks for anyone who knows anything, LOL, apparently Graco won't share...

Advertisement

Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:26 PM   #2
Dsunny1
Registered Users

Re: More carseat stuff, LOL

I am a tech If it is a snugride base then it should be fine for any snugride. If the base you are getting from her is older then 6 years, it is already expired and can not be used. Make sure your sister got it new and it has never been in a car during a crash... Get the manufacture number off the base you are getting from your sister, and post it for me, snugrides had a recall a few years ago with the bases (some were missing a clip used to achor in the infant seat). I can check the recall list for you.
As for the covers, you can buy covers off ebay sometimes, but other then that I don't know if Graco actually sells replacement covers. Don't buy a cover that wasn't made by Graco for a snugride (some people make their own covers to sell on ebay)... and don't use any of those bundle me blankets that go under the baby, with a seperate part that zips over baby.
Babies don't use seats for a long time, so will it really matter if her cover is isn't girly?? People will always mistake a boy for a girl or a girl for a boy no matter what color they are wearing.. My boy could be in all blue and people still say "she is so pretty"..
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:31 PM   #3
Kylie&Logan'sMommy
A Mommy's Work is Never Done
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

As for covers, you can call the graco number on the carseat. I called them last week because mine ripped when I washed it getting it ready for this baby and they said they had replacements for my model it was like 30 bucks plus 8 for shipping. Good luck!
Old 05-26-2006, 06:46 PM   #4
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The only difference in bases is some will have a way to adjust the recline, others won't. If her's doesn't have a way to adjust then you can use a pool noodle to help recline it. If you're just using her seat then you should be fine. Make sure- for both seats- you have all parts in working condition, all labels, instruction manual, no recall, never been in a crash. Also, if her harness adjust differently then yours make sure you understand how to adjust hers.

Recalls can be checked at http://www.carseat.org .

Yep, call Graco and you can get a new cover(s). They'll probably need to know model number and date of manufacturer (so get that from your sister). Not all covers will work depending on if the seat(s) is a 5pt harness or 3pt, JSYK.

If you have to buy new- or for other stuff- Toys R Us gives a twin discount. I think you just have to ask.

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 12:38 PM   #5
TaivensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Remeber though each manufacturer has their own guidlines to when they expire. Fisher price and Maxi cosi priori are 8 years some other brands are 5 or6. I would have her look on the seat itself many have expiration dates printed on them.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:55 PM   #6
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

It should work. I had 2 snugride carseats - one was new the other was a couple years old. I actually gave the other carseat to a mamma whose house burnt down before her baby came (sobbbb but she is ok now)... Anyway, I kept the bases b/c I had one in each of my cars. One has a recline adjust, the other doesnt... they look totally different but the seat goes into both just fine.

A note though - we've used the carseat w/o the base in it. It can be done And it's ok if you follow directions.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:06 PM   #7
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Using an infant seat w/o the base is fine as long as you can install it properly each and everytime. I used Zane's FP Stay in View w/o the base in my mom's car. It fit rock solid in the center and took maybe 30 seconds to install. That isn't always the case tho. Anytime a seat is installed it can be done wrong, so make sure it's snug and easy to do so you don't hurry and do it wrong.

Please let us know what Graco says when you talk with them- just because I'm nosey, lol.

Old 05-28-2006, 04:11 PM   #8
Kimmomy2dom
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

LOL, thanks guys. I'm not using her base, we're only using ours. We'd only be using her actual car seat - we have enough bases to fill my whole van, LOL. We have extras from when my son was little.
Since we're having twins I'm anticipating them being a little smaller and growing more slowly - which is why I think they'll be in the seats longer. My son was in his for less than 4 months, but I imagine the girls will be in them for longer.
I will let you know what they say - LOL. I dunno if I want to pay $30 for each pad, though, LOL. I wasn't planning on using the car seat at all without the base. If hers won't work in my base then I'd buy a brand new one. I won't have the time to screw around with putting it in every time, KWIM? I'll be busy enough as it is. You're really fast at installing them, LOL. I'm not - and I hate using them without the base for some reason...it just bothers me, LOL.
I know, I've started thinking lately about just buying both brand new. No where here sells any that I'd want that don't come in a set (stroller and car seat). I think if I went that way I'd have to buy directly from the manufacturer, unless the Toys R Us here wants to order them for me. I don't know what I'm going to do yet, LOL...
Old 05-28-2006, 04:41 PM   #9
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you decide to buy new you can find lots of great deals online. Some seats are only available with certain covers at certain vendors. If you have one you like you should be able to click on it at Graco and see where it's available (may be available elsewhere too).

To save money, I'd use what you have. Some twins start big and grow just as fast as other babes. Then use the money you save to buy good convertibles (Britax, wink-wink).

If her seat doesn't work in your base, and it should, you could always use her seat and base.

I'm not usually a 30 second installer, lol. The Stay in View without the base just happens to fit perfect in the middle of my mom's rear seat. I just click the belt and pull and it's rock solid.

GL!

Old 05-28-2006, 05:11 PM   #10
Kimmomy2dom
seller

My Mood:

LOL, I know. At this point, though, it would seem easier to just have them both be the same thing, LOL. I don't want to deal with all of this confusion, it's getting to the point I'd rather buy new. I'm saving money on the rest of it, LOL. We already have one Britax that I'll use when the girls grow into it - I'll buy a second one and use those separately, but as infant ones with bases it seems WAY easier to just have the same ones. *sigh* I'm pretty picky when it comes to what my stuff looks like, LOL. I have ALL boy stuff, and I don't want to now, LOL.
If her seat doesn't work in my base, then I'm buying new seats. I want them so they'll work in either base I put them in. I knew a mom that had twins that had one Graco and one Evenflo (or something like that). They fit in the same stroller, but not the same base in the car. I'd rather not even have to think about which one I'm putting where.
I'm looking further into buying new. Will Toys R Us honor the twins thing if I have to special order them? All of the ones they have here I wouldn't buy for one baby - boy or girl. We don't have much selection around here. We also don't have a Babies R Us within 2 or more hours of here. Ugh This blows, LOL. This is where it would come in handy to live in a bigger town - or a different state - we just don't have much around here for choices in general.