Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
MommaToBubandCJ
Registered Users
seller

Should I respond to this comment about cloth diapers?

I posted on my Facebook status a few days ago that I'm excited to be building my newborn stash of cloth diapers. That's all I said...nothing about how cloth was better or anything snarky.

One of my "friends" said, "Stacey, you're such a dork for using cloth."

Then I replied, "Cloth is fun! And good for the environment."

Then another "friend" said (and I copied and pasted):
You do know that they've done studies that have proven that the water, soap and electic used to clean cloth diapers is just as harmful for the environment as the decomposition of disposable diapers, right? The old disposables that our parents' generations and beyond used are the ones which are still toxic to our environment. (sorry, I did a lot of research on this before having a baby! haha) So, as far as being Earth friendly, they are both the same! BUT, I'll hand it to you, Stacey, the cloth ones they make now days are pretty darn cute!!!!

I can't just let this go...I didn't reply yet b/c I've been trying to formulate a good response. I don't want to come across b****y or snarky about it, but I just don't think what she said is accurate. I know it's not.

So...should I just leave well enough alone and forget about it? Or should I send her a response? And if I should respond, what do I say? I want to have accurate information to back me up if I decide to respond. It just irks me sometimes when people try to justify their use of sposie and saying it's comparable to using cloth. Now, I'll admit, we've used our fair share of sposies, but when you know better, you do better, right?

Advertisement

MommaToBubandCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
lauren420
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Should I respond to this comment about cloth diapers?

If I had your Email, I would send you a copy of an article I just wrote for a magazine, sposies are so NOT better, in any way, they are awful *gag*
Old 02-11-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
MommaToBubandCJ
Registered Users
seller

I'd be interested to read it. Can I PM you my email address?
MommaToBubandCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
weintz8
Registered Users
seller
seller

I feel bad for her actually. It's hard to try to do research because all most every study ever done on cloth vs disposables has been somehow funded by disposable companies. They put out such propaganda that if you don't apply common sense to what you are reading then I think it's pretty easy to believe that disposables are just as good as cloth.

I would love a copy of that article also Lauren! Can you copy and paste it here?
and Ian (born 6/5/14)
weintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
mythik
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would respond to their comments, but I can't stand small mindedness.

Sorry, I suppose we should all wear sposies so we don't use water for flushing, and not wear clothes so we don't use water for our laundry, and maybe we should also wear one sposie a day to save the environment from too many sposies in landfills then we can all get diaper rash and smell stinky all day. Is that the world they want??? Please....
Old 02-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
mama2sweetpeas
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would ask for her research/articles she found that talks about how sposies made "today" are better than old ones. Yes they do have 7th generation, etc, but still. For the FB page though, I might just say,
You are right, cloth is SO much cuter. PM'ed you about the real deal.

Or something non-threatening so others didn't join in right then and there w/their opinion (unless you wanted to debate it for all to see and add their 2 cents).

Let us know what happens!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
lauren420
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaToBubandCJ View Post
I'd be interested to read it. Can I PM you my email address?
Old 02-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
mem9157
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, if you don't want to get in a argument with her, I would tell her this. Say that they are equal in their impact on the environment...then I would still choose cloth. It doesn't expose our lo's to all the chemicals that sposies do. This was my main reason for cding.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #9
lauren420
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by weintz8 View Post
I feel bad for her actually. It's hard to try to do research because all most every study ever done on cloth vs disposables has been somehow funded by disposable companies. They put out such propaganda that if you don't apply common sense to what you are reading then I think it's pretty easy to believe that disposables are just as good as cloth.

I would love a copy of that article also Lauren! Can you copy and paste it here?
I can't copy and paste it here, not yet anyways, it hasn't been printed, but if you send me your eamil, I would be more than happy to send it to you! Its short, but informative!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ugh, that would annoy me so bad! There are actually many other benefits to cloth diapering beside the environment (I'm probably preaching to the choir here but I still wanted to say it!)
Cheaper
Fun!
Most cloth diapered children are potty trained by age 2, as opposed to age 3 for disposable diapered children
Convenience...no running to the grocery store for diapers or cutting coupons, sure you have more laundry but its not a big deal...I like washing my diapers but I'm a nerd like that lol
Healthier for baby
I've read some stuff where they say the chemicals that are in cloth diapers are thought to cause respiratory problems and could even be linking to austism. I've also read that one of the chemicals used could be the same chemical in tampons that causes TSS. I don't think there is solid proof about these things but its still something to think about.
Its up to you whether you want to educate your facebook friends or not. They just don't know what they are talking about or missing out on!
Please visit and LIKE my page to keep up with fun diaper chat and frequent online specials!
Solomon's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote