Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #41
MommaToBubandCJ
Registered Users
seller

Re: Should I respond to this comment about cloth diapers?

I don't know anyone IRL who uses cloth either. None of my family or friends do. I've tried to talk my cousin into switching to cloth, but her husband won't let her "because it costs too much." I'm the lone cloth diaperer in my crowd. That's why I'm so glad I have DS...at least you ladies can relate to my *slight* obsession! LOL!

Advertisement

MommaToBubandCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #42
holliej1181
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad we have each other too! I'm the lone ranger CDer too. But I'm also the lone ranger BFer, co-sleeper, non cry-it-outer, non let my kid spend the night, and many other things!
holliej1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:32 PM   #43
misidawnrn
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't argue, I would just say "we sure like them! and yes, they are fun!"
misidawnrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #44
DKnightSkye
Registered Users
seller

I'd probably say something to the effect of

"a lot of those studies are done by companies like Procter and Gamble who own Pampers...do you really think they would release a study that said using their product was BAD? I could find you study for study that says that it's less and I can also tell you it's a LOT cheaper to cloth diaper...I think on average over $1000 less than disposables. Not to mention the chemicals they put in disposable diapers that are then in contact with your baby's delicate THIN skin (yes, babies have thinner skin than adults) 24 hours a day for the next 2-3 (or more) years!"
Old 02-11-2010, 03:06 PM   #45
rabidewok
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

See, I'm a bit parsnickity and if it was a person I wasn't close with, it's fair game on my FB status if you're going to spout stuff.

I will say though, I've really been surprised with the amount of support (from my mom and sister no less!) of me CDing!
rabidewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #46
lilsonicfan
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd probably just delete her comment and move on
lilsonicfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:31 PM   #47
shorkiegirl
Registered Users

ok.
I find this comment incredibly annoying...I wouldn't be able to let it go myself.
Maybe this is just me but I would feel the need to set her straight purely because I wouldn't want everyone who read it to come away with the idea that she is right (and people are so impressionable, they'd rather not think for themselves).

Several excellent points have been brought up already by other mamas such as the fact that dispos are BIG money business and will stoop to whatever level to stay in the game commercially (like the tobacco industry). There is a lot of misinformation out there. For example, because of the shi*ty way landfills are designed - nothing (even seventh gen. diapers), I mean NOTHING, biodegrades ever because matter requires oxygen to decompose and landfills are oxygen poor and methane rich...they are stinking holes of biopersistent plastics and chemicals. Water, on the other hand, is a self renewing resource and one thing that has advanced innumerably in the last several decades is the efficiency (both energy and water) of our machines. In fact, today's dishwashers are so efficient, you actually use more water washing the same amount of dishes by hand.

Her argument is vapid - much like saying there is no use in recycling because of the amount of resources spent on effective recycling - smart people are working to make these systems more efficient every year...we are making progress. But until landfills are redesigned and fully synthetic diapers are outlawed, cloth will always be a better choice.

Your "friend" is speaking out of a combination of ignorance, laziness, and jealousy (yes, she is jealous of your resolve and your contentiousness). My baby hasn't even been born yet and I have nothing but the highest level of respect for you ladies, regardless of why you've chosen to CD, because it's the more complicated choice and that says something. If I try and fail, I will be disappointed in myself and always envy those that stuck to it.

Anyway that's just my (loud) two cents /end rant

Last edited by shorkiegirl; 02-11-2010 at 04:32 PM.
shorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #48
MrsK
Registered Users
seller

This just makes me think that in 20 years we will be having more of those "truth" ads only they will be about how bad disposable diapers were and not about how bad cigarettes were anymore!
Old 02-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #49
lilmissg2
Registered Users
seller

I think your response was good... factual, educational, and neutral ~ good work!!

I totally agree with MrsK ~ it will be interesting on what things will be like in 20 -30 years. I know my mom smoked and drank a little when she was pregnant with me 34 years ago, they didn't use car seats back then (it took forever to explain this concept to my dad), etc...
lilmissg2 is offline   Reply With Quote