Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
ShiloMW
Registered Users

Help with the stink!...

I am new to CD and we have been using BG 3.0, Fuzzibunz and Nubunz with the microfiber inserts, they smell horrible! I also have a front loader so I don't know if its the way I'm washing them or if I should try other inserts? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Oh yeah this is how I wash them...
I use tide free HE and I only use half way up to the 1 line...
I do a quick wash on cold with extra water...then I do a full cycle on warm with cold rinse, extra water and extra rinse.

Advertisement

Last edited by ShiloMW; 02-11-2010 at 07:08 PM. Reason: adding more info
ShiloMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
heythere:)
Registered Users

Re: Help with the stink!...

no idea, i've not had diapers in my house for 9 years now Just didn't want you to feel ignored.
heythere:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The way you are washing them sounds fine...I would try switching to a different detergent that is made specifically for cloth diapers. I haven't used it yet but I'm switching to Crunchy Clear. As far as I've seen, it is the most affordable cloth diaper detergent and it is made to wash out all the yuck associated with cloth diapers and you can get it scented...the scents are supposed to be safe. I have been using Purex Free and Clean and even though it is "unscented" it still has an unpleasant smell. I figured using something just for cloth diapers would be the best bet for getting them clean and smelling good, and without having to worry about build up or anything bad like that.
http://www.crunchyclean.com
Please visit and LIKE my page to keep up with fun diaper chat and frequent online specials!
Solomon's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
poppan
Registered Users
seller

I had some bG MF inserts and they can be hard to get clean. If you have a sanitize cycle in your FL, try running the inserts through that -- that usually helped me. Your wash routine sounds fine to me, some tweaks you could try are more detergent or using hot to wash instead of warm, see if that helps? Are you using liquid or powder detergent? Powder is easier to rinse clean.
poppan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
dabatman
Banned

My Mood:

i stopped using tide free because of this.

you should stick to this chart when choosing a detergent.

http://www.diaperjungle.com/he-detergent-chart.html

personally i have switched to nature clean powder detergent as my detergent. i used to use tide free and purex free and clear but i started to have the same problems you had and had to stop. and i also presoak right in the diaper pail which is wet with all my gdiaper inserts and prefolds before washing with nature clean oxy stain remover. and if i cannot do this i presak for at least 30 mins before wash..it's a bleach alternative and a safe oxy clean alternative for baby and diapers.

you may want to try adding some calgon water softener to your load as well. minerals in water can leave residue and lock in bacteria which can then give you that nasty ammonia smell. it sounds like your diapers need to be stripped of all the mineral and residue build up.

you can find calgon at any walmart in your detergent section. and nature clean is sold at any major organic supermarket. i get my products from whole foods and planet organic.

here is a good diaper stripping guide with other additional products you can use.

http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...gentbasics.htm

what i have listed up top is just what i prefer since it's totally green.
other really good detergent i have tried is rockin green and nellies.
nellies is high efficiency washer safe. im not too sure about rockin green but when i did use it my gf loved it. but i stopped using them because they are harder to obtain as they are not sold in any supermarket i go to.

good luck.

Last edited by dabatman; 02-11-2010 at 08:35 PM.
dabatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
ariandsofiesmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

As a pp mentioned...I was also going to mention that you do a hot wash instead of a warm wash...Hopefully that will help.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
Trynitey
Registered Users
seller

I agree about switching detergents. I've heard great things about Crunchy Clean but am still waiting on my samples to give it a try myself. I'm still in search of a great detergent that does well for us since we've had stink issues too.
Trynitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:27 PM   #8
BigSamsMom
Registered Users
seller

Microfiber as well as hemp is known for getting the stinkies... the only thing that helped ours was adding a 1/4 cup of bleach to the wash every 6-8 weeks. We always use baking soda in the presoak and vinegar in the final rinse (this helps hemp the most). Also alot of Mommas find they need to rinse their MF and Hemp before throwing it in the diaper pail. If it keeps up, just rid yourself of the MF and use newborn prefolds as stuffers instead. Just an FYI.. we rid our stash of all synthetics and use only Bamboozles, Prefolds, and Wool now, and I am now convinced that it is all the unbreathable synthetics in pockets that create the odor problems. I haven't had a problem with any of my Joey Bunz hemp stinking now that they are used as a traditional doubler, rather than a pocket insert. So food for thought.
BigSamsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
dabatman
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trynitey View Post
I agree about switching detergents. I've heard great things about Crunchy Clean but am still waiting on my samples to give it a try myself. I'm still in search of a great detergent that does well for us since we've had stink issues too.
+1 on detergent switching. i should give crunchy clean a try but the idea of ordering online all the time for detergent kinda bothers me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSamsMom View Post
Microfiber as well as hemp is known for getting the stinkies... the only thing that helped ours was adding a 1/4 cup of bleach to the wash every 6-8 weeks. We always use baking soda in the presoak and vinegar in the final rinse (this helps hemp the most). Also alot of Mommas find they need to rinse their MF and Hemp before throwing it in the diaper pail. If it keeps up, just rid yourself of the MF and use newborn prefolds as stuffers instead. Just an FYI.. we rid our stash of all synthetics and use only Bamboozles, Prefolds, and Wool now, and I am now convinced that it is all the unbreathable synthetics in pockets that create the odor problems. I haven't had a problem with any of my Joey Bunz hemp stinking now that they are used as a traditional doubler, rather than a pocket insert. So food for thought.
i totally agree. microfiber is nothing but trouble. my sister in law had issues with this fabric as well and ended up changing her entire stash to bamboo and cotton organics. not a single issue after that.
you should give nature clean oxy stain remover a try or some calgon. bleach is such a harsh chemical to use on baby stuff. there are also other bleach alternatives out there that do better.
personally my stash i have built is 50% custom inserts and 50% indian prefolds and bamboo inserts. i am starting to see that prefold style inserts are much more easier to deal with and absorb more and not to mention the costs.

Last edited by dabatman; 02-11-2010 at 08:43 PM.
dabatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #10
Levi_Elizabeth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just posted on this same topic a couple days ago and and got great ideas. I too have a front loader and microfiber FB inserts were stinking. The best easiest thing I did was buy vinegar and put some vinegar with water into a bucket and I threw all my inserts in there in between washes instead of just the wet bag. Then I poured the whole bucket into the washer when I was ready. That really helped. I also ran a sanitize cycle - super hot, if you have that.
Good Luck!