Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
*update post 21* Can someone please tell me how to check my own cervix?

Exactly what the title says. I'd really like to know how to check my own cervix. I know a lot of people don't advise it and such, but I still want to do it. I'm having some really, really strong BH's today. I have a ton of them anyway, being my second twin pregnancy, but today I'm worrying a little. I have 3 small kids and no help right now. So, if I need to go to L&D, they have to come with me. I had a ton of BH's with my first twin pregnancy and I have even more now. I know that is what it is. And, it's probably not changing my cervix at all, they never have before, and I really don't want to go in for nothing. I'd like to check on my own to reassure myself. I'm just finding myself wondering if my instincts could be off this time. I haven't timed them, so no, I don't know how frequent they are. But, they are frequent. I always have them about every 10 minutes even when my uterus isn't "acting up." I'd guess they are coming every 3 - 5 minutes right now, but aren't getting any closer together. This frequency isn't unusual for me. It's just they are really, really strong. If I really start to feel they are real, I won't hesitate to pack the kids up and go. I'd just like to check at home for now if possible.

So, can anyone give me the low down on checking myself down low?? If it's too graphic, maybe someone would be willing to PM me. Thanks so much to anyone willing to take the plunge and help me out.

Advertisement

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 02-16-2010 at 05:06 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can someone please tell me how to check my own cervix?

I've checked mine every pregnancy. I do the same thing- I check myself to gauge changes, and this pregnancy has been by far the most interesting as to what's causing cervical change and what isn't!!

Anyway, here is a great guide that I found to pass along this time!
http://www.joyousbirth.info/articles...xlearning.html
Have you ever checked your cervix before when not pg? If so you will know what to feel for. Otherwise, just FYI you're likely going to have to find a position where you can reach back as far as possible since it'll likely be further posterior right now (I find that deep squats work best since it puts more pressure on the cervix and brings it down).

If you have any other specific questions, feel free to ask!
Old 02-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
615marsh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I checck my cervix when TTC, but not while pg b/c I have short arms... But I had DH inserting EPO 36wk+ with Colin and at 39wk he went "WOAH! Something has changed!" His finger dipped into my cervix WAY more than it ever had, so we knew I was at least 1-2!

And good luck!
Old 02-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies! I sort of tried to check it in the bathroom, but I couldn't reach. I'm so huge now. I'm going to go upstairs and see if I can find an different way to feel it. Otherwise, maybe my husband will be home in about 45 minutes. I'll have him check it out. I'll just make sure to tell him it's not foreplay!

I'm using the online contraction timer now to see how often they really are coming and how long they are lasting. I messed it up though because I forgot to hit stop. But the first and second were 5 minutes apart and the first was 2 minutes long. I may end up at L & D tonight. I hope not.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
Kaboom
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
seller

My Mood:

Sitting on the toilet or hoisting one leg up and resting it on something (like a low countertop or similar) can lower your cervix in to a more favorable positionto be able to check.

Purse your lips together like you're going to give a kiss... feel that... that is simliar to what your cervix is going to feel like - soft and squishy. If you've never done it before pregnancy, it might be harder to differentiate from the rest of teh vagina at first.

If I ever check, I use my middle and ring finger, simply because those of the fingers that will reach (rather than pointer and middle).

Remember to wash your hands

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
*Willow*
Registered Users
Formerly: MadreJoyce
seller

My Mood:

You have already been given some great advice. Just wanted to also say that checking your cervix at any time can intoduce bacteria, just a friendly reminder on the importance of washing your hands.

Good Luck with your contractions, hopefully they are just BH and not the real deal so your babies get to bake a little longer.
IT'S A GIRL! #5 Arriving Aug 2014
*Willow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies! I have checked my cervix many times before I was pregnant, so I sort of know what I'm looking for. I also did remember to wash my hands both times I tried.

Now, on to my question, I can't feel it at all. I've tried several positions. I've always been able to when I tried before (or didn't try if I was inserting a suppository or something). Is that bad?? Does that mean it's shortening.

*sigh* I really don't want to go to L&D. I called my insurance and found out that if I do have to go, I'll have a $250 co-pay. I've been through these stupid BH's so much. I feel like I know, but I'm just doubting myself today. I really don't want to go only to find out my cervix is still at 4cm and completely closed!! On the flip side though, I would hate to give birth to my twins at 29wks (tomorrow) simply because I was too cheap to pay to have it checked out.

I guess I'll have my husband check when he gets home. I'm not really looking forward to that though. Although, he probably knows what to feel for better than I do.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
615marsh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
Thanks ladies! I have checked my cervix many times before I was pregnant, so I sort of know what I'm looking for. I also did remember to wash my hands both times I tried.

Now, on to my question, I can't feel it at all. I've tried several positions. I've always been able to when I tried before (or didn't try if I was inserting a suppository or something). Is that bad?? Does that mean it's shortening.

*sigh* I really don't want to go to L&D. I called my insurance and found out that if I do have to go, I'll have a $250 co-pay. I've been through these stupid BH's so much. I feel like I know, but I'm just doubting myself today. I really don't want to go only to find out my cervix is still at 4cm and completely closed!! On the flip side though, I would hate to give birth to my twins at 29wks (tomorrow) simply because I was too cheap to pay to have it checked out.

I guess I'll have my husband check when he gets home. I'm not really looking forward to that though. Although, he probably knows what to feel for better than I do.
You'll have to pay the copay even if they don't admit you? I didn't have to pay for my false labor call... just for when they admitted and kept me.

And I would definitely have DH check. If he senses ANY change... I'd call your OB and head in.

How regular (time between and length of each) and for how long (several hours)? Have you tried water (LOTS OF IT) and resting on your left side?
Old 02-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #9
*Willow*
Registered Users
Formerly: MadreJoyce
seller

My Mood:

Could you not go into your MW/OB tomarrow morning? Instead of paying that horrible copay?

If you can't find it, it doesn't mean necessarily that its shortening. More likely its just very high up. I've seen midwives, nurses and doctors struggle sometimes to get a "good feel/check" of the cervix when its still really high. Some fingers just aren't long enough when the cervix is still that high.

I'd say if your cervix is that high, its a good sign. During labor the cervix actually comes down into a lower different position. Doesn't mean your totally safe either.

I'd recommend if your still having them, and regularly to get them checked out. Either at L&D tonight, or first thing in the morning with your practitioner. BH can have an effect if you experience enough of them in regular intervals.

Have you called your doctor or midwife yet? Usually they would want you to call them if your having them frequently enough to concern you. Especially with twins as the risk is a little greater for preterm birth. They are trained to usually be able to listen effectively to your description and be able to judge if you should go in or not and be checked. They can also give great advice for calming them.

I 2nd lots of water, and a warm bath if your water hasn't broken. I have seen a warm bath even pause/calm/slow real labor contractions.

Good Luck!
IT'S A GIRL! #5 Arriving Aug 2014
*Willow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #10
615marsh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Any update?