Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #11
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can someone please tell me how to check my own cervix?

My husband is home now, but I haven't had him check yet. I just had him read the sites on how to do it and what he's looking for. So, as soon as he's done with the dishes, I'll have him check me. I'm not planning on going in tonight unless they get obviously stronger or he notices something when he checks me. Otherwise, I'll probably call the OB in the AM. I do have plans tomorrow, but obviously, this is more important.

Honestly, I haven't been timing the contractions. I know I should. Now that the kids are in bed, I'm on the couch and I'll start timing them now. This has been going on all day, but this goes on all day everyday. It's just they are so much stronger than usual. The frequency doesn't concern me unless they are really close because that's normal for me. It's just they are so strong, but they have been getting stronger and stronger.

As for calling my OB, I definitely could. He and my midwife both have told me they trust my instincts because I've been through this before. But, at the same time, they don't want me to be stupid about it either. If they get any stronger or get closer together, I'll definitely call and probably go to L&D.

Thanks for the support, Ladies!! I'll update after my husband checks me.

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #12
615marsh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had TONS of Bh ctx with Colin too! They 'say' to call if you have more than 6 an hour but I'd be calling my OB every day! My OB finally said if they get stronger or even closer together and VERY regular then I was to call and go in...
Old 02-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #13
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 615marsh View Post
I had TONS of Bh ctx with Colin too! They 'say' to call if you have more than 6 an hour but I'd be calling my OB every day! My OB finally said if they get stronger or even closer together and VERY regular then I was to call and go in...
Yup, I'd be in L&D every night since about 20 wks. My OB said the same thing. To follow my gut and if anything seemed out of the ordinary to call. It's just hard to know sometimes, KWIM?
Old 02-15-2010, 08:11 PM   #14
615marsh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
Yup, I'd be in L&D every night since about 20 wks. My OB said the same thing. To follow my gut and if anything seemed out of the ordinary to call. It's just hard to know sometimes, KWIM?
I KNOW! Even when I sort of kind of thought this WAS labor... I had no idea how far along I was! I wasn't in much pain, but I'd only ever been in labor with pitocin... so I didn't know if real labor was just mild or what... And timing my ctx didn't work... Mine were 90sec long every 2min (so yes, 30sec of no ctx) for well over an hour! I thought I HAD to be much further along than I was! But I was only 3-4cm!
Old 02-15-2010, 08:31 PM   #15
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I knew it when I went into real labor with my last set, but that was because my water broke in the middle of the night. I might not have known otherwise.

Anyway, I'm off to bed. I'll have my husband check me before we go to bed. But, they are slowing down, so I'm not worried. I guess I will call in the AM though. I don't know. I really want to go to my friends house like I had planned. My husband thinks it's a bad idea though since it's a little over an hour away. Maybe he's right. Oh well.

If anything happens, I'll update you.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:59 AM   #16
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I also found the website mybeautifulcervix.com helpful when trying to get a visual of what to feel for.

and i think it's a good thing you can't feel it, still high most likely...and also that your husband is willing to check now, and can feel tonight/today...and then if you need him to again in the future, he'll have a good idea if something has changed...

and yes, ofcourse he'll wash his hands..but i highly doubt he (or other husbands) wash their boy parts before "inserting" them other more fun times lol!
Old 02-16-2010, 09:53 AM   #17
*Willow*
Registered Users
Formerly: MadreJoyce
seller

My Mood:

How are you feeling today? Any update?
IT'S A GIRL! #5 Arriving Aug 2014
*Willow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:20 AM   #18
motherculture
Registered Users
seller

I do advise it. Better than a stranger doing it. I don't let anyone in there during pregnancy or birth for that matter. Unless I want a check that is.
I had good luck with a sqaut against a bed at my back. then you really have to tilt your pelvis forward and reach. If you have a posterior cerix and short fingers this may not be possible. Best of luck. Oh and use a lubricant and gloves if you are going to strip your membranes.
I started my 3rd labour this way. It is just inserting a fingertip and running it all the way around between the bag of waters and the inside uterus.
This is only possible if you are effaced at least 50% and dialated to 1-2.
Works well for encouraging labour.
motherculture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #19
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy
seller

I just saw your post. I hope it has calmed down today. Please update when you get a chance, I really hope it calmed down and you didn't have to go to your dr or L&D.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #20
MyFourStars
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherculture View Post
I do advise it. Better than a stranger doing it. I don't let anyone in there during pregnancy or birth for that matter. Unless I want a check that is.
I had good luck with a sqaut against a bed at my back. then you really have to tilt your pelvis forward and reach. If you have a posterior cerix and short fingers this may not be possible. Best of luck. Oh and use a lubricant and gloves if you are going to strip your membranes.
I started my 3rd labour this way. It is just inserting a fingertip and running it all the way around between the bag of waters and the inside uterus.
This is only possible if you are effaced at least 50% and dialated to 1-2.
Works well for encouraging labour.
She's not due until MAY, let's not encourage her to strip her membranes.

My Twilight FanFic-Finding Rose *Updated Chapter 13!*
MyFourStars is offline   Reply With Quote